Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Crit Damage runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Pepper

Recruiter

11-21-2009

Do crit dame runes (the one that increase critical strike damage amount not increase chance to crit) stack with infinity edge.....because I dont notice a big difference in my numbers with them on my page and with them off. I mean if I have 40 percent increased crit damage I should be seeing a huge difference. Also if they dont stack it makes these runes wortless...what the point in having them if You get the same bonus plus increased crit chance off infinity Edge...........

Victory

Recruiter

11-21-2009

Do the math. If your crits are more than 2.5x the size of your normal hits, they work. As far as I know, they do stack.

Dr Pepper

Recruiter

11-21-2009

naw i used it with and with out the runes and I know the numbers make since until i buy the infinity edge then i dont get 2.5 times...just the same as when i dont have them.

Pen15Mightier

11-21-2009

They work, what you are seeing is +40% damage on crit, but what you aren't taking into account is armor. Armor knocks off a certain % of damage taken. So if you deal 100 dmg, A crit is normally 200 dmg, with the +40% crit dmg, you deal 240 dmg...BUT...

If the target has 70 armor, and thusly takes reduced damage from physical attacks, he's going to take that % off of the crit damage as well as the normal damage. It's a flat % off final damage value. If his Armor has him taking 50% less damage, your normal 100 dmg hit would hit for 50, your 240 dmg crit would hit for 120. So Armor reduces the effectiveness of +crit damage, but it's still worth it, because that critical hit is still worth 2.4 attacks.

Get it?

Pen15Mightier

11-21-2009

With Infinity Edge, you deal base 250% crit damage, plus the crit damage runes. So in the case above 290% dmg, still reduced by armor.

Dr Pepper

Recruiter

11-21-2009

So would you say it is worth it to stack these runes ...or stay with increased crit chance/arnmor pen?

Pen15Mightier

11-21-2009

It's worth it. Depending on the champion. Ashe and Gangplank for example have relatively easy to accumulate Crit Chance. So you can focus more on your damage, and less on buying crit chance items (a couple Avarice Blades and a Zeal give a decent crit chance prior to Infinity Edge, don't forget masteries!).

It's worth it on these champions that have easy to come by Crit chance, since they get more out of the crit damage runes earlier than standard champions who need to stack crit chance to get value out of inifinity Edge.

A Cirt chance Tristiana/Teemo/Jax/Master Yi/etc. Will need to get a few additional crit chance items to equal out the natural crit chance generated by Ashe/Gangplank, and as such, aren't buying as much damage items, and weakening their Inifnity Edge slightly.

It's a significant chunk of damage. I would get Crit Dmg runes if you plan on playing mostly crit reliant champions. Ashe/Gang/Master Yi...If you play a hodge podge of whoever you feel like playing, they don't really do a whole lot. If you get a full page of crit dmg runes it amounted to something like +56% dmg, so once you get your Infinity Edge, you had +306% dmg on crits. Meaning every attack that crits, you basically generated an additional 3 attacks instantly on that same target.

With the example of Gangplank, you stack crit so you can Parlllay people for over 1.5k dmg. It's for the spike of damage. Your crit chance doesn't need to be 100% to make them effective, but you do need to stack ~40%+ by mid-game to make them worthwhile. If you get more than 65-75% crit I feel like you are just wasting money on crit chance.

If you play champions who are physical attack based without a Crit chance mechanic built in. You might be better off with a mix of Crit Chance/Armor Pen/Crit Damage runes. This way you are increasing your chances of using your crit dmg runes earlier in the game to great affect. While the champions with the built in mechanic, will have an easy time making use of the crit damage runes.

Dr Pepper

Recruiter

11-21-2009

Your logic makes sense. Thanks

congalong

11-21-2009

Quote:
Pen15Mightier:
It's worth it. Depending on the champion. Ashe and Gangplank for example have relatively easy to accumulate Crit Chance. So you can focus more on your damage, and less on buying crit chance items (a couple Avarice Blades and a Zeal give a decent crit chance prior to Infinity Edge, don't forget masteries!).

It's worth it on these champions that have easy to come by Crit chance, since they get more out of the crit damage runes earlier than standard champions who need to stack crit chance to get value out of inifinity Edge.

A Cirt chance Tristiana/Teemo/Jax/Master Yi/etc. Will need to get a few additional crit chance items to equal out the natural crit chance generated by Ashe/Gangplank, and as such, aren't buying as much damage items, and weakening their Inifnity Edge slightly.

It's a significant chunk of damage. I would get Crit Dmg runes if you plan on playing mostly crit reliant champions. Ashe/Gang/Master Yi...If you play a hodge podge of whoever you feel like playing, they don't really do a whole lot. If you get a full page of crit dmg runes it amounted to something like +56% dmg, so once you get your Infinity Edge, you had +306% dmg on crits. Meaning every attack that crits, you basically generated an additional 3 attacks instantly on that same target.

With the example of Gangplank, you stack crit so you can Parlllay people for over 1.5k dmg. It's for the spike of damage. Your crit chance doesn't need to be 100% to make them effective, but you do need to stack ~40%+ by mid-game to make them worthwhile. If you get more than 65-75% crit I feel like you are just wasting money on crit chance.

If you play champions who are physical attack based without a Crit chance mechanic built in. You might be better off with a mix of Crit Chance/Armor Pen/Crit Damage runes. This way you are increasing your chances of using your crit dmg runes earlier in the game to great affect. While the champions with the built in mechanic, will have an easy time making use of the crit damage runes.

What would you say of Tryndmere then? I'm undecided as his built in passive gives the crit dmg, but his first skill also gives crit chance. Armor pen then?

ERazER

11-22-2009

The crit chance runes generally aren't as good as the other two, because you can max your crit chance with items, while there are no stacking late game items for the other 2 stats.
You should pick crit damage runes, if you intend on getting as high as possible crit chance, otherwise armor penetration is better.

For tryndamere you should go with armor penetration, since his crits already can deal up to 350% damage, so the additional crit damage isn't as effective.