Tips for playing Vladimir?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShawNuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewanderer118 View Post
What about Vlad makes him weaker than other bots? I don't see him that often, but I did see a stream (don't remember who it was) that did well with him bot. He doesn't really need to carry a game to be good.
Why would I ever play an AP champion that can't carry a game, when there are AP heroes that can? At best, he is a mediocre bot. At worst, he can easily lose the game for his team for a lot of matchups. Why wouldn't I pick someone who has better worst-best case scenarios?

Veni13

11-01-2012

I would advise you to refund your champion, no offense, and not to be bandwagoning with the Vladimir hate.

Ahlen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2012

Vlad's still fun, you don't have to be a scrub tryharder all the time.

Play what you like, it's the key to enjoyment.

Nyx87

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewanderer118 View Post
What about Vlad makes him weaker than other bots? I don't see him that often, but I did see a stream (don't remember who it was) that did well with him bot. He doesn't really need to carry a game to be good.
That was probably me, as I'm fairly sure Oni/Nekro/CaptBuw don't play Vlad at all.

He isn't necessarily weak, but Vlad is definitely a niche bot laner. He can beat some of the higher tier(such as Jax and AD Malz) laners when played properly and is quite the lane bully, but will lose some match-ups horribly(Kog'Maw/Jayce). The trick is that he has a much different play style on Dom than SR.

I max E first because the damage output is far greater than Q and it allows you to push the lane while bullying at the same time. This aggressive play style will also give you control over the health relic. A Vlad that does not have control over the relic will always lose lane. Why? because he will slowly be killing himself using E to harass/push. The relic helps mitigate this a bit. I also use Spell Vamp Quints and start Double Dorans or Ruby+Dorans and some pots at the start to help mitigate this as well.

In terms of items, going for a tanky Mpen route is the best. Outside of your starting items you want Sorc Shoes, Haunting Guise and then tanky CDR like Spirit Visage against AP or even just a Kindlegem+Chainvest vs AD. If they begin stacking MR then its time to get Voidstaff. I usually finish the build with a fancy hat(Deathcap) or ZHonyas if i feel like trolling people under my tower.

Also, if you find that you enjoy a champs playstyle, i wouldn't worry about power level. This is a game after all, and you should be enjoying yourself while you play it.

Edit: I should also note that in Mpen builds like this, once you get voidstaff and begin reaching end game builds you can sell Sorc Shoes and Haunting Guise for stronger items.

Aparkhurst

11-02-2012

hp5

Hempy

11-05-2012

I play vlad with;

Spell Vamp Quints
MP Reds
Armor Yellows
MR Blues

Skill Order;
R>Q>E>W

Q - For sustain and single target damage
E - For AOE that can clear waves. You have to keep this stacked to 4 mid game to do good damage.
W - Your 1 point wonder. This is how you can escape ganks or use in a duel to wait on CDS if you can get the kill.
R - Use this at the start of teamfights and try to hit as many people as possible.

Items
Sorc Boots
WOTA
DeathCap
Zhonya's
Rylai's
Last item depending on their team comp.

I can usually do really well with this build. I focus on farming as much as possible with him early game since he scales so well into late game. If you get all 6 item he is super strong while being able to dish our tons of AOE damage on a low CD.

Don't give up on him. He's really strong when played well.