Issues with non-english speakers ruining games.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Barbarossa 13

11-01-2012

How do they go on the Euro servers where they speak 30 different languages?

People probably just have courtesy and speak one common language.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-01-2012

Most Europeans, especially on the EU West server, have some understanding of English, however not everyone over there knows and speaks English.

Everyone understands the LoL basics though, like Baron, mia, gank, top, mid, bot, champion names, dragon (which I think EU actually refers to as drake?). And the thing is, most non-English speakers on NA also understand all these same LoL basics and have the two different ping options.

awesomejak

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedopolice2021 View Post
I'm not trying to be an offensive idiot like others who complain about this, and I'm not saying ALL non-english speakers are a problem. But most are. They can't communicate or understand what's being said, so they don't participate in coordinated activities in the games. I'm noticing it more and more and it's really becoming a problem. Has Riot offered any way to fix this...?
I get this a lot as a pre lvl 30 as well... Also noticed it on my friends lvl 30... I have found A LOT of Spanish seem to troll how might you say... In Champion Select... "
Mid
Bot
Bot
Jungle"
Quick discussion about who we are gonna play. Load screen ... Game.... 2 players start speaking Spanish SAY NO ENGLISH FOR THE WHOLE GAME only swear at you for not understanding spanish and not coming to gank which they happen to swear in ENGLISH... I am not racist but this game is primarily about having good communication.. mia, gank and so on.. pls do something about it I have a bad feeling this will happen more often when I'm lvl 30... If I ever get there...

Fish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

In my experience, every player I've encountered who only speak spanish, or barely any english, repeatedly laugh at english speakers and say "learn spanish". They ALWAYS speak half broken non english in game and I don't understand anything that they are saying.

Whats more annoying is if someone picks TF with ignite and u assume they are going AP since they have ignite, but nope AD bot. So we're stuck with no AP mid because they don't understand english. I'm not saying all spanish speakers are like this, but literally every person in league who speaks spanish as a main language repeatedly acts like a 13 year old. Just this last game I was in, in champion select I was being harassed cause i DIDN'T speak spanish. "Learn spanish" is all they said in english.

I just think something has to be done about this.

JcGNeon

11-04-2012

In my state it is mandatory to take 2 years of foreign language in high school, and honestly I don't see why you can't learn a little Spanish (irony perhaps). It's not like the language is difficult or anything (certainly not difficult if you just want LoL commands like "invade" and what not). They're here and they want to have fun just like us. Some of them will troll, just like us. And some of them are annoying children (again, just like us).

Here are 2 resources that will make your LoL career easier if you use them. The first is an English-Spanish Dictionary with a forum full of people willing to help if you have questions. The second is a verb conjugator, where you can go to find the correct tense of the verb you wish to use.

http://wordreference.com
http://conjugation.org

Do this, and the problem will be solved (and if studies are accurate, it will help fight off Alzheimers and Dementia later in life; it's almost like knowledge is a good thing >.>).

Paenk

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcGNeon View Post
In my state it is mandatory to take 2 years of foreign language in high school, and honestly I don't see why you can't learn a little Spanish (irony perhaps). It's not like the language is difficult or anything (certainly not difficult if you just want LoL commands like "invade" and what not). They're here and they want to have fun just like us. Some of them will troll, just like us. And some of them are annoying children (again, just like us).

Here are 2 resources that will make your LoL career easier if you use them. The first is an English-Spanish Dictionary with a forum full of people willing to help if you have questions. The second is a verb conjugator, where you can go to find the correct tense of the verb you wish to use.

http://wordreference.com
http://conjugation.org

Do this, and the problem will be solved (and if studies are accurate, it will help fight off Alzheimers and Dementia later in life; it's almost like knowledge is a good thing >.>).
why not have them learn English? it's the international language of commerce.

Also,i think you guys are missing that Brazil has it's own server while people in places like Venezuela speak almost entirely Spanish. there is no Spanish language server for the Americas at all. Riot needs to put out a statement as to whether or not they expect Spanish speakers to use the NA server and/or add a Spanish option (French is also a big language in NA, see Canada).
A whole server for Spanish speakers is quite ridiculous if that is what anyone is suggesting, Riot would never do that. Mexico has 112 million people, roughly 1/3 of which have internet let alone play LoL. on the other hand, the US has nearly 3x as many people, with nearly 80% having internet connection.

It's fair to say, all factors considered, if someone does not speak English on the NA server they can't communicate with the majority of the players. And as we all know, whenever in Riotland a administration/moderation question comes up, the majority is ALWAYS right.

JcGNeon

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paenk View Post
why not have them learn English? it's the international language of commerce.
This attitude essentially leads to trench warefare. Neither side wants to learn the others language. While it would be nice if both sides would take interest in the others language, things haven't quite worked out that way. I wish to address the people that are whining on the forums about it (since they are the ones that care enough to speak their minds on the "issue"). Since the Spanish speakers aren't learning your language (the ones that have, I thank you), that leaves it up to you to learn theirs.

One of the sides will need to budge, and since there isn't really a downside to budging in this instance, it might as well be us.

Oh, and for the elitists, your mastery of their language is just another reason to feel superior.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-04-2012

You don't need to know their language, honestly.

They understand mia, gank, mid, top, bot, jungle. They probably understand dragon, baron, red, blue. I'm sure they also understand things like turret, inhibitor, minion, cs, kill, death, assist, feed, etc.

Instead of having a negative attitude, try to simplify your communications and use pings.

JcGNeon

11-04-2012

Oh, yeah. Don't learn the whole language. Just a couple phrases like "invade their blue". Learning an entire language just for LoL would be absurd.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-04-2012

Well what I'm saying is that most of the things that are directly related to LoL, they already know in English.

And if they don't know red/blue... it's rojas and azule.

And they know all the champion names in English.

I mean honestly, given that the game client is in English, the non-English speakers know a great deal of the necessary language without you having to learn any of their language to play with them.