Issues with non-english speakers ruining games.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xendorn View Post
They can read good enough to get into LoL, they should be able to read good enough to know roles and what not. People just like to troll IMHO
Because every English speaker knows all the roles and always conforms to the meta, right?

NiceDynamite

11-01-2012

Pogo, I can't understand why you're defending them. I'm just going to assume you're trolling.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedopolice2021 View Post
Pogo, I can't understand why you're defending them. I'm just going to assume you're trolling.
Why would you assume I'm trolling instead of assuming that I'm not as xenophobic as you?

Look, if we're talking about 5s teams, then sure, it'd be terrible if you had no way of communicating to half your teammates on an organized 5s team.

But we're talking about regular match-made games. What's the difference between someone who speaks Spanish, and an English-speaker that doesn't chat and ignores everything in the chat box?

And if the non-English speaker doesn't chat, how do you even know he doesn't speak English?

The thing is, yea, it's a little annoying when you can't communicate with everyone on your team, but it's not the cause for your losses. The fact that it's annoying, however, makes those losses stick out that much more, and leads you to blaming a language barrier for a match that you would've lost anyway.

I've won plenty of matches with non-English speaking teammates. I've lost plenty of matches with a team full of fluent English-speakers.

Gainer Sanga

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
Because every English speaker knows all the roles and always conforms to the meta, right?

I am an American who speaks perfect English and I main AD Fizz.

Yes, lack of communication is detrimental, but anytime they do bad regardless of that has nothing to do with their language. I've had just as many english-speaking players who trolled with what they did.

NiceDynamite

11-01-2012

Most English speakers DO communicate. Why wouldn't they? Pogo, I'm not xenophobic at all, I just don't think you should be on an ENGLISH speaking server of a game when you more than likely ruin the experience.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-01-2012

Most players don't communicate all that much, regardless of language. Even when you ask them direct questions.

And there's not a LoL server that is languages specific. You're playing on the North America server, not the English server. And the server name isn't even meant to be any indication of language. It's meant to be an indication of geographic location, so that I know what server to connect to in order to get the best ping and minimize my latency.

Brazilians weren't given their own server because Riot thought it would be good to segregate the different languages. They were given their own server because they all had pings over 400 which made it difficult for them to play the game.

NiceDynamite

11-01-2012

Again, Pogo, I reference you to the server selection on top of the forums. For North America, the ONLY language given is ENGLISH, so it's safe to assume that goes for the game aswell. I understand your thought process completely. I'm not saying EVERY non-English speaker is a problem, or the direct cause of a loss. But for the most part, they aren't all that helpful. I also understand that server location is based on geography, not language. But still. If you're going to play a game on an English based server (which, it is. Regardless of what you think) then you should be able to effectively communicate.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-01-2012

1) While "English is the language of this server" is indeed an assumption, it's neither a safe assumption or a true assumption.

2) The "language" options are for the display language of the game itself.

3) The server is not English-based. It's North American based.

4) "I'm not saying EVERY non-English speaker is a problem, or the direct cause of a loss. But for the most part, they aren't all that helpful." My entire argument is that they're no more or less helpful, as teammates, than people who speak perfectly fine English.

NiceDynamite

11-01-2012

That may just be your experience then. From MY experience playing the game, most people who don't communicate throughout the game later reveal that they speak broken English by throwing out insults or offensive phrases. From what I've experienced, anyone who speaks English for the most part communicates and attempts to help.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-01-2012

People who speak English as a first language speak broken English. They're called idiots.