RIOT's response to WHY they scrapped the old TT

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Haeval

10-31-2012

Found this on Reddit

Quote:
What made you guys decide to get rid of the old Twisted Treeline map? I think a lot of the fans of the old map are disheartened that this map was completely removed. (including me) Why didn't you just name this new map The Shadow Isles?

[–]MorelloRiot 22 points 1 day ago

Basically, they're the same game, except one has 2-year old abuses in it people have gotten used to. And frankly, that map couldn't be supported to actually have a healthy meta and decent balance with the problems there.
So we remade it. I understand it's hard to have old stuff (broken or not) taken away, but without this, 3's was destined to never be healthy.
-----

Does Riot mean to tell us that it was impossible to fix the old map? I cannot accept that. Also, any half-wit four-year-old can tell you these are two VERY DIFFERENT GAMES.

Quote:
"And frankly, that map couldn't be supported to actually have a healthy meta and decent balance with the problems there."
I do not see any better balance in the new map, or even the possibility of creating it. Ever.

However, I DID see a possibility of making the old map more balanced. Simple changes could have done that (and it wasn't TOO unbalanced to begin with).

I am more than disappointed now.

I will be spending the next few hours deciding if I even want to try with this game/community.

You failed me Riot.

Noobtactical

10-31-2012

Thanks for posting this as I was curious what some of Riots thinking was behind the improved TT map.

I like the new map and agre with Riots statements that the meta promoted in the old, flawed map was poor and unsustaniable.

Aikimiller

10-31-2012

Arm chair design is easy.

I remember seeing posts detailing some of the things they tried to fix the old TT- if you care I'm sure you can find them if you go back far enough. But if the people who designed it and have tried to fix it say there were fundamental problems that made it impossible to support the map, well, I don't see what point there is in complaining, and I'll be suprised if Riot listens to kneejerk reactions about people hating the new map and wanting the old one back.

Redenbacher

10-31-2012

Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me.

CaptainAMorgan

10-31-2012

I have to agree.

I will be done with this suck fest soon enough.

FDru

10-31-2012

Sounds like exactly what I've been trying to tell you over the last few days. This is not really news to anybody who's been paying attention... it's what Riot has been saying about TT for years. This rework was inevitable.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2012

Someone doesn't get the concept of "Beta".

Albireo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2012

Quote:
I understand it's hard to have old stuff (broken or not) taken away, but without this, 3's was destined to never be healthy.
Some brusiers like Darius and Rengar are just a joke (of how powerful they are) now, before you could at least skip fights until you get some lvls, now, you are forced to lvl 2 team fight or lose an altar, witch will snowball in your face harder now. Get some warding, and try to survive, until your characther who depends of their ultimate do something. Now you can't even that, you need something to survive the first 5 minutes or gg

fiddlesticksssss

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
Some brusiers like Darius and Rengar are just a joke (of how powerful they are) now, before you could at least skip fights until you get some lvls, now, you are forced to lvl 2 team fight or lose an altar, witch will snowball in your face harder now. Get some warding, and try to survive, until your characther who depends of their ultimate do something. Now you can't even that, you need something to survive the first 5 minutes or gg
To be honest from old Twisted Treeline to new this is all that was changed ( Tanky dps is a little less tankier, turtling is harder but still possible because i just won a 30 minutes turtle fest under turret got a ace and won a game so you can still turtle on this map hard, they made snowballing a lot stronger so that turtling was harder in return it makes the map less appealing, the meta hasn't really changed that much instead of high bursts like leblanc you now want to play pokes with blackfire to win games so they changed burst to poke, and ganking is now easier for the mentally handicap) that is all that was changed on the new map. So honestly the map still has some of the same problems like massive snowballing, turtling, viability is still the same only difference is that renekton is viable now, and jungling is still pretty dumb.

Supporting the map or not there is still no reason not to remove it. Ranked is all that matters so making Twisted Treeline a normal map only and Shadow Isles a normal ranked wouldn't hurt the competitiveness of the Shadow Isles map, and still allow true Twisted Treeline fans to play in my opinion a still superior map. Riot has never responded to this compromise which either means its too perfect and they don't want to give in that they were wrong for removing it, or there is seriously only 3 riot people that read this board.

Taarki

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeval View Post
Found this on Reddit

-----

Does Riot mean to tell us that it was impossible to fix the old map? I cannot accept that. Also, any half-wit four-year-old can tell you these are two VERY DIFFERENT GAMES.

I do not see any better balance in the new map, or even the possibility of creating it. Ever.

However, I DID see a possibility of making the old map more balanced. Simple changes could have done that (and it wasn't TOO unbalanced to begin with).

I am more than disappointed now.

I will be spending the next few hours deciding if I even want to try with this game/community.

You failed me Riot.
I agree... basicaly all they really had to change was the turtling... and it would have been good, mabye remove some of the really really good tanky items... the new TT map is just so broken.