Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

New to the game: frustrated with pvp - advice?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Das Higgs

10-31-2012

(For the ADD crowd: TL;DR - How do you deal with the randomness and learn something from unranked PvP?)

Hey guys, I'm a new player that got sucked in to LoL while watching the world finals a few weeks back. Just started playing this week and reached summoner level 7 in custom games against bots. I've put a lot of study into the game, reading tutorials/guides and watching high level play with commentary. Once I felt confident I had the basic mechanics of the game down (and I got tired of watching 2-3 of my AI teammates spin helplessly for half the game) I decided it was time to try some PvP.

I've been working on a mix of champions, specifically Ashe, Darius (so much fun - and an exercise in self-control trying not to KS your carry), and Soraka so I get used to some of the different roles available, but it seems that playing with other people is even *more* frustrating than playing with bots, especially with Soraka.

Here's the game that made me come looking for advice here.
Disclaimer: I'm not good. At all.

5v5 - Normal PvP, Blind Pick, Summoner's Rift. I usually lock in last so I can see what our team needs and pick accordingly. In this case, we had Shen, Warwick, Olaf, and Sivir locked in, so I chose Soraka hoping to support bottom lane. Olaf (a player who claims to have a lv30 account that was banned: uh-oh) demands to go bottom lane, I join him, Sivir goes solo mid, Warwick goes top and Shen stands in the fountain for the first 10 minutes of the game, making sure no one steals all the stuff from our shop. I buy faerie charm/wards/pots and off we go.

When creeps arrive, I see we're up against Ashe and Teemo. I call for Sivir to come bottom since Olaf is going to be harassed to no end. Olaf is AAing everything. He starts yelling at me for running in and out of the brush doing "nothing" (warding river). Out of nowhere, lv2 Olaf decides to go chasing Teemo back towards his outer turret and gets blown up. "HEAL NUB!"

Rinse/Repeat - Ashe gets fed big time. First question: should I be doing something else here besides 1) calling for a lane switch and 2) trying to get Olaf farmed up as best I can?

Next issue - around lv7, Olaf goes balls deep in the jungle and gets ganked. Ashe/Teemo push lane and I'm forced to play under my outer turret. I have no creeps and with a full wave and 2v1 they harass me while I do my best to keep the wave at bay. The tower goes down and I'm forced to retreat. Lv30* Olaf: "I CAN'T PLAY WITH THIS NOOB. WE LOST. SURRENDER!"

Am I doing it wrong? Or is this pretty much what to expect in normal pvp? Should I just insta-lock Darius and farm top? Would a hardier support like Taric lend himself better to random games since people won't see him as a god-making healbot?

I just want to learn the game and get better, and PvP so far doesn't seem to be helping. I know I haven't offered up too much here for critique, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anlaemar

10-31-2012

You'll find jerks all over the game that like to pick and criticize every move you make. Sad really.

Nickpws

10-31-2012

This aint your fault. You get noobs like this way more then you should, and i'd suggest reporting for the tribunal. These are toxic players, and we dont want them in our community.

Das Higgs

10-31-2012

Thanks for the replies, guys. As far as you can tell, am I thinking about the game properly? Or do you think it's better to adjust the way I play to take this nonsense into account?

lilAznRider

10-31-2012

As for me I dont really understand the need for a support. Its good to make that person op but if youre good you will be op anyways. Im op 9 out of 10 x without support or help. Best thing to do is start adding players that you can work will with and or op with the lowest death rate. Less headache

Kaalika

11-01-2012

Support is needed because there are 3 lanes for 5 champs. In the high level meta, one person jungles and ganks to get gold in order to relieve the gold pressure on top lane and deny buffs to the other team, and one person plays support to relieve the gold pressure on bot lane and keep more map control of dragon. That leaves mid lane to 1v1 with relative freedom except for ganks.

AP mid champs need levels more than gold as their abilities scale higher that way, but aren't as survivable as top lane champs so need more escape routes. AD champs need gold to buy items to make them scale, but often have a weaker time early game. Top lane is usually beefier because it's a solo lane that doesn't have as many escape routes so they might take more hits during a gank attempt and need to survive it.

The support babysits the AD Carry (carries them) so that later in the game the Carry can carry the team to victory.

The way League works is that one fed carry is better than two semi-fed carries. The gold cost for the basic items a carry needs to do well is ridiculous, but they don't need the xp as much as an AP mid type, so they can share the xp with the support while the support goes without gold from cs and takes gold from masteries, runes, gp10 items, and assists instead.

The ADC in bot lane probably needs to be ranged in order to be able to position easier to get cs against two enemies, plus ranged can "poke then run" if facing a melee, and the melee can only damage the ranged if they catch them.

Until the gold streams change by Riot making changes in how the game works for jungle and bot lane, the best overall meta is the one currently in high level play.

However.

New and low level players don't have runes, masteries, or the luxury of assuming that everyone on your team knows the meta much less knows how to play their champ. So playing as support is really frustrating at low level, and playing as jungler is almost impossible since the jungle monsters do a ton of damage.

So don't worry about the meta unless you get on a team where people are actually doing it.

MTempty

11-01-2012

People will be people.

zraven7

11-01-2012

I love playing support Soraka, and I so know how you feel. Just wait til you end up on bottom lane by yourself because your ad decided to go top with the, well, top. Had that happen, with everyone yelling at me for "being useless healer".

Just play the game, mark it up to training. You get to learn how to try and build Soraka AP on the fly. Don't flame back, and don't leave the game. And honestly, a lot of times, the other team notices how bad you got it, and tends to give you honorable opponent for sticking it out and trying. When I see it, I do.

seawolvz

11-01-2012

I wouldn't start out playing support until you get more familiar with it because there are so many things that come with being a support other than popping a heal now and than and I hate to say it, but a bad support can cost you the game. Support champs traditionally take away from the "DPS" and "damage" pools and trades it for heals, CC, map awareness (wards) etc...

Jeanschyso

11-01-2012

I wouldn't play with a support unless the whole team understands what a support does.

The most effective supports right now are those who can take a beating and have CC (taric, leona, alistar, blitzcrank are good examples)