What should a beginner to LoL fanfics know?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JadothBloodreign

10-30-2012

I've been scouring this forum and reading everything in sight, and I would really like to write some League of Legends fanfics of my own. I've got a few ideas.

However, I have a very sparse knowledge of lore and I'm not familiar with most of the champions. My question to the more experienced fanfic writers - what are some things I should read up on? I've read all of the lore resources on the website so far, a few League Judgements, and the Journal of Justice (a shame it got discontinued, I loved the tone and style of it...) though I still feel like I've got a lot to learn.

Any tips/advice are greatly appreciated

The Blue Jelly

10-30-2012

Well, one suggestion I have is that if you're writing any dialogue with a champion involved... Learn to play that champion, read as much official lore about them as you can, read any mythos around them if applicable (nine tailed fox myths for Ahri, for example), and see what others do with them. Using other people's OC's (which champions are, effectively) is quite a daunting task to write believably.

I'm not saying you should avoid champions entirely for a while, as that'd be pretty damn hard to do (though I somehow succeeded for the first part of the fic I'm writing atm). I'm just saying you should put a *lot* of effort into making them sound like, "Yeah, that's exactly how that champion would act!" It will greatly strengthen what you write as a fanfic. Alternate character interpretations are 100% fine, but remember there really isn't much to go by in the first place- meaning your interpretation doesn't have to mesh with much. All it has to do is make sense with what is canon.

There was another thread similar to this somewhere here before, but last I remember seeing it was near the start of the year (I took a hiatus from checking this section of the forums)...

Some personal things, try to write third person instead of first person. To my knowledge the number of people who despise first person is larger than the number of people who despise third, So Yeah.

And when describing a round of Rift, please, dear god, do not tell me about how you last hit minions unless there's something unique about it. I'm sure someone somewhere wants to read about your ordering your champion to last hit, but I really, really, really, really can't stand it. You can do stuff *while* you last hit minions, just don't make a point to mention you're going to last hit minions. It should not be the primary action. Ever.

kittytoast

10-31-2012

Blue Jelly really hit on key points!

If you've got someone willing to collaborate things with you, it can help a ton just to talk things out! Especially if you want to make a story as lore/timeline-accurate as possible (and coming up with a timeline is daunting in itself @-@).

If there's a particular Champion you've got in mind to write about, just read EVERYTHING about them, down to Riot forum posts. You have room to make them change because they're human and capable of change, but unless you're writing a crack-fic, you don't want to make them too OOC because, yeah, it will be not as powerful. Also, people tend to have deep, core, beliefs that don't change no matter what may change on the top, if that makes sense.

Hmmm.... develop as much of the story before you start to avoid plot-holes?

I definitely agree with Blue Jelly about third person 100%. I think it's also just the least restrictive way to write as well. Yay omniscience!

Again with Blue Jelly on describing matches. Put yourself in the Champions boots and think about what a battle would actually be like, not like it's a computer game. These are real people fighting and dying!

Cerubois

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittytoast View Post
Put yourself in the Champions boots and think about what a battle would actually be like, not like it's a computer game. These are real people fighting and dying!
This a hundred times. Nothing cuts into the flow of a LoL story more than "He used his Vorpal Blade ability and did 200 damage to Akali."

This'll require a bit of imagination. Everybody here seems to have a slightly different interpretation of how things work in the Fields, and you know what, that's perfectly fine. You can use certain abilities, just describe them in a creative way, like "He threw one of his well-kept daggers, citing a quick verse to enchant it. It embedded itself in Akali's thigh, tagging her with the ninja spell."

Basically, spend a lot of time thinking about how the League itself works. I know this sounds kind of cumbersome, but a lot of it occurs as you're writing. I know I spent many hours researching while writing my first few chapters, just to double-check things or figure out specific points and characters. I didn't spend much time in the JoJ myself, but there are some useful pieces of info there which can help out.

All in all, write it like a story rather than a game script and you'll be fine.

mi ramfan

11-02-2012

Don't expect people to comment too quickly or in too great numbers, this subforum is dead

But from what I've seen, write well and you'll at least get a few comments.

Larcent

11-02-2012

The League of Legends Wiki is also a good place for tracking down the various bits and pieces of lore about people and especially places.

AerithRayne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2012

I don't know how proficient of a writer you are, so I apologize if this is stuff you are already aware of. With writing your interpretation of a certain champion, make sure not to go too overboard with their beauty, intelligence, battle prowess, cleverness, etc. That's called a Mary Sue, the supposed girl in school who had everything and was the best at everything. There is little room to grow for this type of character, and it's hard to connect with someone like that, not to mention....... boring. You always know they're going to win. There isn't a moment of doubt to urge the reader to keep going to make sure their favorite character lives through the ordeal (or doesn't!).

Speaking of development, there are a few ways to do this with the champions too. However, if you're still getting used to writing in general, perhaps you can go really easy on this one. When someone goes through an event, they're now different than before. Kid riding their bike -> falls off -> now remembers to wear a helmet. Even that's a tiny character development. The kid was smart enough to remember to do so. Now, with champions, it gets a little tricky. People adore their canon, so making character develop while keeping them canon is ... well, blah, sometimes, lol.
Depending on the type of development you might want, you could do a "this is how they got this way" development. Example, Old lore Katarina was described as sadistic, twisted, and pretty much a sociopath. How did she get that way?
Another way to do it is take current champion and slowly change them. There's a fanfiction going around (prequel of The Phoenix Sun and Phoenix Sun itself) of Ahri. According to everything, she's selfish, manipulative, and a bit of a sociopath herself as she continues her quest to be human, no matter the cost to the lives she takes. This ff, over the course of many chapters I think, put Ahri in circumstances to learn and be taught other ways to interact with the world. She's still Ahri, but she's not a complete biotch now. This route is super tricky if you're not comfortable with writing yet.

There isn't a criteria for how many champs should make an appearance. Just like with writing any story, have as many characters as you feel you can handle. Some people can look like a circus juggler with their abilities. Others can do a few but deep characters. Whatever your mode is, just be careful to not bite off more than you can chew. That's not to say you shouldn't challenge yourself, but pick reasonable challenges. Try picking a couple before you write the story so you can research about them and possibly have the opportunity to play them in the game. The better you know them, the easier you can write about them. Check out what city-state they come from, what the culture is like (Noxus is essentially an extreme version of Social Darwinism), the state of politics (Swain's power-struggle to take over Noxus), and just... things that may help you develop your story more. At the bottom of this page are links to all the city-states in Valoran for more research: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Demacia

Fights. Those are... interesting, to say the least. Cerubois hit it right on that you don't say "He used his Vorpal Blade ability!" Your fanfiction shouldn't be out of a Dragonball Z episode. If champs screamed what ability they were using, wouldn't that make it super easy to block/dodge/anticipate? Besides, describing the process of the ability is better than cheating and using the name. "Annie uses Summon Tibers and fights against Mordekaiser!" can easy be turned into something like "He closed in the her, thinking the battle nearing its end. She continued to smile innocently, and for once, it occurred to Mordekaiser that the shine in her eyes was not because of tears. She giggled maniacally and threw her teddy bear at his face, lightly bouncing off his helmet. After a baffled pause, he shrugged away his confusion, for how can you expect a little girl to be reasonable? As he took another step towards Annie, his own shadow was engulfed by that of a bigger one. 'Come on, Tibbers! Let's play!' she laughed sweetly, and a force stronger than Mordekaiser had ever known launched him several feet away." Eight words can be transformed into an actual scene, and the scene is funnier to imagine than stating the ability. Try to talk less about game mechanics ("I last hit a minion before blah."). Sometimes, it's unavoidable, but write it as if you'd read it out of a novel.

Mmm... Oh. When you first create your thread, think long and hard about the title. You CANNOT change it afterwards.

Have no fears that people will be mean and spit at your work. Most take the Thumper Approach ("If you can't say something nice..."). However, some people are willing to give constructive criticism to help you along. If you're not good with criticism, then I caution you about posting. Not that the criticism will be bad. I just know some people who are terrible with taking it in stride. Understand that if someone took the time to tell you "Um, this paragraph kinda made no sense," they do wish to help your writing become better. I had some really sweet people that have left little messages pointing out to various flaws in my stories, and I was given the opportunity to improve them, even if only a little bit.

I apologize for the long post, but I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask more questions if you're ever lost

JadothBloodreign

11-03-2012

Thanks for all the bits of advice, everyone!

I did some dice rolling in the "Crack Relationships 2.0" thread and got Kog'maw and Taric. I've done some research on those two champions and I've got some ideas floating around my head, looks like all I need to do is stop being so nervous and get to writing. xD

RyuNaganoto

11-05-2012

I haven't really posted any fan fictions myself (Some are in the workings as I write this), but I am an avid writer. One thing I do want to add in general, don't just write when you are in the 'mood' to write. Sometimes you have to force yourself to get started. Your writing will reflect your mood to an extent when you write. Let's just say that you only feel like writing when you are calm, then that will transfer to all your writings. If you try writing when angry, annoyed, stressed, sad, off the walls happy, etc; It makes it easier to capture the essence of the emotion, easier to transcribe it onto the page, making a better piece of writing in general.

Frost Archer

11-09-2012

So, does my Fan fic fit this? Despite the first paragraph being in fp? My FF is The Mastery of Doran's Blade BTW