Dear Riot, A Long TT Constructive Report

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DTrick

10-30-2012

Dear Riot,

I have made you many suggestions in my time as a summoner. Most coming in the way of wildly op champion ideas like "Maverick The Miner" whos thread was legitimized by a RiotJeffJew red post. Although I still profess Twisted Fates current passive spawned from the loins of Maverick The Miner, I now realize a champion who digs holes and has a 5 second taunt is OP.

Today I come to you a more seasoned summoner then I was in those months post beta. It is in this advanced stage of development that I submit to you my opinion on the new Twisted Treeline and how to move forward with it.

1. I thoroughly enjoy the new map. I feel that it has gone a long way in thwarting the blink champions that dominated the old TT.

2. Although the new map has reduced the power of highly mobile champions, the power of tanky bruisers remains substantial. The new %health damage items are a start, but some champions like Darius, Shen, and Singed are still near unkillable. This creates a problem where if you buff the new item pool they will become far too powerful, but if you leave them the same champions like Darius, Singed, and Shen remain must bans.

-----------------------------------------------------SOLUTION----------------------------------------------------------

Solution:
Since the pool of "Very OP" and "Very UP" champions is relatively small (Around 8 champs on each side of the scale). I suggest that specific champions either "Thrive" in the Treeline or are "Frightened" of it.

Champions that "Thrive" in the Treeline get a champion specific buff/buffs. These would be flat % buffs to either increase the damage they deal or reduce the damage they take. These buffs could even be tied to their lore.

Example: Alistar thrives in the Treeline, Increasing his damage by 5% and reducing the damage he takes by 5%.
Champions that "Frightened" receive a champion specific debuff/debuffs. These would be flat % debuffs to either reduce the damage they deal or increase the damage they take.

Example: Singed is frightened of the treeline, increasing the damage he takes by 5% and reducing the damage he deals by 5%.

These buff's and debuffs would be champion specific, so the level of Singed "Fright" and the level of Darius' "Fright" wont be the same.

This champion specific buffs/debuffs would allow you to balance TT without hurting the balance of SR.

Piggie B

10-31-2012

It's an interesting idea, and I agree that those champions you've mentioned need nerfs in some way or another - but I'm not sure that map-specific, character-specific balances are the way to do it. They create a lot of extra knowledge for players to learn before they enter this already-super-difficult map. It's one thing to know Singed, it's another to know Singed A and Singed B.

It would probably work, I'm just not sure it's the most elegant solution.

I also think that there are a lot more underpowerd champions than overpowerd ones. For example, mages that excel primarily at single-target damage, such as Fizz, are highly underpowerd, as the main bonus of having a mage on your team is the ability to AOE the altars. Champions without hard CC (stuns, silences, snares, etc. - not slows or debuffs), or none at all, on their basic abilities (since pre-6 contains a LOT of skirmishes and teamfights) suffer greatly, such as Sona, Gragas, Varus, Ziggs, Miss Fortune, etc., unless they have something that they excel greatly at - such as many assassin's mobility, zoning, altar control, etc.

Ryford

10-31-2012

This does sound like a good idea but would it be the best way to approach it?

DTrick

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie B View Post
It's an interesting idea, and I agree that those champions you've mentioned need nerfs in some way or another - but I'm not sure that map-specific, character-specific balances are the way to do it. They create a lot of extra knowledge for players to learn before they enter this already-super-difficult map. It's one thing to know Singed, it's another to know Singed A and Singed B.

It would probably work, I'm just not sure it's the most elegant solution.

I also think that there are a lot more underpowerd champions than overpowerd ones. For example, mages that excel primarily at single-target damage, such as Fizz, are highly underpowerd, as the main bonus of having a mage on your team is the ability to AOE the altars. Champions without hard CC (stuns, silences, snares, etc. - not slows or debuffs), or none at all, on their basic abilities (since pre-6 contains a LOT of skirmishes and teamfights) suffer greatly, such as Sona, Gragas, Varus, Ziggs, Miss Fortune, etc., unless they have something that they excel greatly at - such as many assassin's mobility, zoning, altar control, etc.
I think that learning "Frightened" singed and knowing old singed isnt going to be a problem because:

#1: Your kit is exactly the same with same numbers/ ratios.
#2: All champs "feel" like they have different stats anyway on TT because of damage only coming from 3 sources not 5.

Honestly when you had the %damage increase buff on old TT did you really ever feel like it took you a while to grasp the damage u could deal? Like throughout every game you get a feel of how much damage your champ does/can take from others. Wouldn't be anything new imo.

Thanks for the replys

Gogoplatza

10-31-2012

would it make more sense to have percentage based stats that debuff bruisers more heavily than other champions instead of champion specific buffs?
Because I can already see this taking a looooooong time to correctly nerf/buff champions. Not to mention your making Darius and Garen "scared" (that doesnt really make sense for their lore)