My League of Legends Story

First Riot Post
123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EddieJ

10-30-2012

sorry but game can't become one sided in 5 minutes.

HÉROINÉ ADDICT

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
+1

League just isn't designed for and doesn't work well when talking about a solo or duo player, period.
So you believe everything should be ARAM? No laning phase where you have a solo, or duo lane?

Riot Romulus

Manager, Social Media Team

Follow Romulus on Twitter

10-30-2012
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambawarrior View Post
Read entire post.
I personally agree with parts, but I do best with champions who aren't OP (at least, to my knowledge), but are fun (I don't lose as Lux mid, Skarner/Jax jungle (OK, Jax is pretty good), or Olaf top. Ever.) Also, could you elaborate on why you feel Tryndamere is OP? I think he needs buffs, actually.
That a really interesting point actually. I read the forums a ton and find it fascinating to watch the ebb and flow of champion balance perception and discussion. Also really cool to see which champions people find overpowered or under-powered and how it shifts depending on their Elo.

Rustmaker

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
It would be nice if I could find champions both powerful and that I like...
I think I find that I dislike champions because they are too powerful. While some people might get a kick out of playing FotM OP, I personally like playing champs like Viktor and Tristana that are good in their own right and reward you for playing well.

I even stopped playing Graves and Shen (2 of my favorite champ designs) for a while just because people complained about them so much (although I've gone back to playing Shen again since I personally feel he's actually in a pretty good place right now) :\

Xianio

10-30-2012

Quote:
Basically, a list of my problems within the game are:
  • How overpowered certain champions are
  • How the camera angles in Summoners right can ruin a game
  • The lack of punishment for people refusing to play on correct servers
  • Being matched with players who are extremely more experienced
  • Poor Scaling of turret and minion damage throughout the game
  • Games becoming one sided within the first 5 minutes
I know it seems like you've played a lot by now and that should mean that you've got a good grasp on the mechanics and strategies of this game, but unfortunately you don't.

That isn't meant to be a blast on you, your gaming capacity or your intelligence. You're simply too new. It's causing you to miss a lot of things and, because your teammates are just as new, make you think certain champions simply "win" games.

The fact of the matter is this; LoL is generally very well balanced. However, certain champions are better than others at capitalizing on an opponents lack of skill. Blitz and Darius being perfect examples.

Further, because you and your team mates (probably) don't know the value of farming yet, you're finding that champions that dominate the early game, destroy the balance. Again, Darius and Blitz are perfect examples of this.

First thing:
Once you learn and excel at last hitting you'll come to realize that 1 death is only worth about 3 minion waves. It's easy to make back, particularly when your opponent isn't a good farmer. If you can double your opponents CS you can die upwards of 4 times and still be even in gold (which is all that really matters).

Second:
At your level of play people "give up" super early. I imagine that many MANY of your games are decided by 20 minute surrenders. This isn't because "you've won" (or lost) it's because the team you were against doesn't know how to 1) play safe and farm, or 2) doesn't know how to value a disadvantage.

Meaning that they see a 4-5 kill deficit as "game over" instead of a hill that they can still climb back up. They, and you should but many won't. This will come as you get better and play more.

Third:
Turret/minion scaling is fine. They're intended to be difficult/weak (respectively) by design. Early game turrets are meant to protect you, mid game (and onward) you're meant to protect them.

Many changes to either and you either get a MUCH slower or faster game. That's really there purpose.

Lastly:
Camera angle you're actually kinda right on.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

Champions win or lose their permaban status on very transient circumstances. Perception of OPness is almost more important than being OP in and of itself.

The thing is, Blitzcrank isn't inherently OP. Just like with any other champion, there are ways you can counter blitz. As mf, you can use your passive to juke his hooks. As ezreal, you can use arcane shift. As sivir, you can use spell shield. In a side by side comparison with taric, the stun is a weaker than the hook because it doesn't displace champions, but then again the stun is unmissable. The reason that blitz is banned more and taric isnt is that you have to put a lot of trust in your teammates in being able to play well in order to counter blitz, and it's easier just to ban him. Why would I bother leaving blitz open if i don't know if my support or ad carry have the skill necessary to juke blitz's grab?

Another thing is accepted wisdom; if i were to ban a champion who isn't considered worthy of permaban status, perhaps I have a lot of trouble against talon, I would get flamed for banning him. Once you hear the "omg noob l2p" a couple of times for banning a champion that isn't considered banworthy, you decide to just accept what the mob is saying rather than kick up a fuss.

Finally, I think this is a point rioters have made as well, there will always be six champions that need to be banned. Say we do nerf one or two of the champions currently permabanned, what will happen then? A couple of new champions come in to take their place. Will it be because they truly deserve to be permabanned? Not necessarily. They could get into permaban status without any buffs happening to them simply because there will just be a space that needs to be filled.

DrTemptragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

Shen gets banned not because he's overpowered, but because he's a pain in the ass. Mumu too. Rengar and Darius get banned because they're frustrating and bipolar; you feed like an all you can eat buffet or you tear everyone's face off.

I've never seen a Garen ban and Tryndamere is currently considered a joke in-game.

I'm not very good. It pains me to admit it, but I have really poor mechanical skills and game awareness. I try to make up for that with game knowledge; what every champ does, common counters, why some champs that make you pull your hair out in frustration are actually balanced. It's not worked; I'm still a bad player, but I'm a knowledgable one.

Blitz gets worse the better your opponents get. He's still great at all levels of play, but he stops being a godly lane-crushing machine when your opponents stand behind creep waves etc.

Henry Plainview

10-30-2012

LOL banning Garen and Tryndamere on SR.

Why are we upvoting the uninformed QQ of someone who isn't even level 30?

HÉROINÉ ADDICT

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Plainview View Post
LOL banning Garen and Tryndamere on SR.

Why are we upvoting the uninformed QQ of someone who isn't even level 30?
No, we aren't being complete jackasses and actually trying to explain a few things to him. Is that okay scrooge?

Senator Snort

10-30-2012

I think there should be a better design surrounding picking champs... and consequences if you refuse your role.

I strictly play DOM and lately I notice players picking obvious "bot" lane champs like Yorick/Heim and suddenly they swap out a random champ at the extreme last second after everyone has picked.

Designing specifically maybe a button you press that you are "tanking" or "bot" or "AP Carry" or "AD Carry" or maybe allow the option for someone to press 2x of those buttons to indicate: hey - I am willing to play a tank or bot lane. (DOM related) I don't know the semantics... but maybe even something like World of Warcraft Dungeon finder where you can click off roles that you feel the most comfortable playing, and then even have the game put you in one of the roles you clicked off.

Secondly... I can TOTALLY attest to your frustrations, OP, at design flaws with the champs. Honestly... you can downvote all you like I don't care... but the fact is there are VERY STRONG champs and very weak champs. There is little variance to people who play those ULTRA CHAMPS for example people exploited the poo out of Jayce. It was ridiculous how unbalanced he was... and possibly still is. Yorick is just RIDICULOUS (I use him because I want to win... if I go 2-3 game losing? I bring out the Yorick and indicate I will take bot lane.) in DOM and bot lane. I may not actually LIKE to play Yorick... but pretty much a game winner and I find it hard to lose playing with him. Only if I get ganked often and harassed which allows top to easily control... so either way: I win.

Do I find it "skillful" to extract wins from Yorick? Not at all. I am just exploiting obviously strong champion mechanics. Just exactly like Darius, and Jayce, and a handful of other very strong champs. The balance is not there yet. All champs should be equally viable in all cases... but they aren't.

And please. Don't patronize and say "oh they don't balance for DOM" ... that is the most condescending pile of trash and just don't even bother. If you post that, you are a pompous nolifer. Really. DOM accentuates flaws... it multiplies the issues with champs... it fast forwards the games to "end game" really quickly as opposed to classic where it takes some time to hit max level. DOM is PERFECT to point out very quickly the problems with champs and over-powerdness. It quickens all meta to "end game" meta in under 20 mins instead of 40. Thats it. Thats all.

I have said it before... and I'll said it again... instead of releasing the next 2x champs they planned on releasing... they need to STOP for a moment and assess the balance of OLD CHAMPS... maybe remake those champs... maybe update some of the old schoolers instead of leaving them constantly to rot and be obsolete. Heimer is the perfect example. I happen to be able to play him very well... but I also play him extremely different than how he is "supposed" to be played... and so I can often be very successful with him. But play him the way he was intended is like... fatalistic.

123456 ... 10