My League of Legends Story

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nivex30

11-01-2012

Very interesting post, thoroughly enjoyed the read. I'd also like to see towers scale appropriately.

Level 1 towers hurt. Bring on the pain!

C7G Laser

11-01-2012

I very much appreciate your post, however I think there is one thing that I think I should point out that a lot of people ignore.

Each Elo has it's own meta. I'm not referring to the whole top/mid/jungle/duo bot concept. But rather the champions that fill that role. For example, how often in recent high level play do we see akali being picked. Yet, in mid-elos she snowballs so hard it's ungodly. And then again in low-elo, she isn't as strong because people don't understand how to take advantage of her kit and being melee puts her at a disadvantage.

Another example would be the old Evelyn. At low-to-mid Elo Evelyn would just destroy, because people wouldn't buy wards or oracles. However, once people learned how important those items were, Evelyn became significantly less of a threat.

Tryndamere works in the same way. He can stomp people who don't know how to control him and keep him in-check, but once people learn to drop exhaust on him, or pop an ignite 2 secs into his ult, he's a lot less scary.

On the other end of the spectrum we have Maokai, who is very vulnerable in his early jungle, which makes him weak at lower levels where people aren't good at protecting against counter jungling, but at high-elo play where teams are strong in early-warding and the like. He becomes very strong very fast.

Another example comes not with champions but with playstyle. At low Elo, often times it is more efficient to get kills rather than to sit back and farm up. The reasons being, your opponents are more likely to get disheartened from a kill, you likely aren't that great at farming yourself so the kill gold is more efficient, and the champions that are more effective at low-elo are likely more snowbally and will benefit from the roaming that getting a kill will provide.

Another thing I've run into at low-elo is the lowered effectiveness of warding. We all know that wards win games, but that only works if

1. All of your team(including you) is willing to help out in warding and
2. Your team(including yourself) has the awareness to take advantage of the wards.

I cannot tell you how often I have been in a mostly even top-lane and fallen behind because I chose to buy wards, when my opponent chose to save the gold for items, and then my jungler/mid (b/c it's mid's job to gank too) never helped take advantage by stealing their jungle or ganking. Wards are only effective if you can turn them into gold and which makes them efficient(avoiding getting ganked/killed is earned gold imo, b/c it's gold they don't have).

SUPER SECRET NINJA TIP(thanks ranger14 :P) : Buy pink wards as a top-laner if your lane opponent is buying wards as well. Your jungler will thank you and love you.

Kronikor

11-01-2012

how is this being taken seriously?

Games are decided at the picks everyone knows that lol - unless the stronger team throws hard or can't farm or doesn't know what team objectives to do at what time, when to gank, when to invade, they will probably lose....oh wait...that's meta game...WOW

HauntedTinMan

11-01-2012

*Tony Jay's voice goes here* League of Legends. A game with over 100 characters and about, oh, 7 champions to choose from.

Seriously though, I was playing this game and felt very similar to your post and feel that sometimes it's not worth pushing that big red Play button at the top... Not worth it...

Daryslash

11-01-2012

"The lack of punishment for people refusing to play on correct servers"

?

You lost most of my support here.
Would you like to elaborate on why the hell I'm considered playing on the "wrong" server because I'm playing in the server I WANT to play?

Does this also mean I can't play a game at all if the company does not hold a dedicated server for my country? lol

Sn0wY

11-01-2012

how hard would it be to rotate the map 180 degrees???? seems possible.........?????? i dont see why it hasnt been done?

Xcuba

11-01-2012

As a comment about the camera angle, I 100% agree. I find myself always doing better on the blue side of the map because the camera angle is more beneficial for your needs, especially in early and mid game. Being on the blue side allows you to see more clearly and farther away, even when locked onto your champ. Not only do you need to be able to maneuver the camera more frequently when on the purple side, but usually your scope is so focused on one aspect or area of the map that you either are drawn to it more, therefore making you have less awareness of your surroundings, or you literally can't see efficiently enough to have better awareness.

A common problem when on the purple side and laning is having to decide on focusing your camera farther down the lane to be able to poke your enemies, or having it closer by so you can be more alert and ready for ganks from behind/next to you. And again, I know map awareness can help, but the way the camera is angled for purple side just naturally makes you focus more on the center of the screen.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of a way to fix the problems I feel are caused by the camera angle :/

Graiskye

11-01-2012

You think your a 'vet' but your still a noob.
Come talk after a couple thousand games, then you might now something, this is just noobies complaints, seen every one of em complained and posted about many,many, many times.

Xcuba

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graiskye View Post
You think your a 'vet' but your still a noob.
Come talk after a couple thousand games, then you might now something, this is just noobies complaints, seen every one of em complained and posted about many,many, many times.
Nice attitude.

thegreatestman

11-01-2012

To the OP: The thing you'll find as you play the game more and more is that almost every champion is exploitable in one way or another. There are a couple champs that are just, for lack of a better word, BAD. They will get you ridiculed at champ select and they will lose you games no matter the match-up. But there are other champions that people CALL bad, that are actually very useful in certain circumstances, as particular counters or when teamed with other champions. And it takes QUITE a long time to figure out all these match-ups.

But, the other side of the coin is this: You can win with average or even below-average champions (power-wise) by playing a massive amount of games with them. My example: I've played hundreds of Teemo games solo top, both on this account and others. I play him against everyone, whether they're a hard counter (Irelia, Jayce, Yorick) or an easy match-up (Garen, Tryn, Singed). And eventually, just by playing a champ that much, you learn the match-ups and the gameplay to a degree that you can be successful, even though the champion you're playing may not be particularly strong. I'm a completely average 1200 Elo player on my EUW account, but I'm well over a 60% win rate with Teemo, even though I play him against ANY and EVERY match-up. And that's solely because I've played hundreds of games with him, and my mechanics on that one champ are much more polished than they are on other champs.

But that said, I still agree with the basis of some of your argument. If I was strictly try-harding to raise Elo, it would be much more effective for me to play 300 games with Blitz or Singed or Jax or Irelia than to play that many games with Teemo. A well-polished Blitz is going to win more games than a well-polished Teemo. But that's not just about the POWER of the champion, it's about a lot of things. Blitz is incredibly strong because he's insanely safe and easy to play and win with. You can miss five hooks in a row, and not be punished AT ALL for it, then hit the sixth in a game-changing fight, and you're a hero. That's not champion strength, it's champion ease. There is no punishment for missing his main skill. On top of that, even if you do mess up and get caught, you have a silence, a speed buff, a knock-up, and an innate shield to cover those mistakes. Blitz is VERY easy and VERY safe. That's the case with most of the so-called STRONG champs. Ezreal is considered really strong right now. He's not, he's just really easy. He has a blink, which combined with Flash means you should NEVER, ever be caught by anything. You can hit his ult from anywhere, because it's big and it has huge range. He's insanely safe and easy, as compared to other AD carries that don't have a blink and a comparable ult. Ez has a higher win rate than comparable champs because it's just easier to play him. His blink covers up a ton of mistakes, so you can play worse and still not be punished for it.