How to counter Katarina mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azakir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2010

My main is Corki, and I always go mid when I'm playing as Corki. I'm able to do great mid against pretty much all mid champs, even the annoying ones like Vladimir and Miss Fortune.

However, Katarina is one that I've always had trouble against. It's very hard to dodge her abilities, because one is like a flash, but with bigger range and that deals damage, the other is a blade that seems to follow a random pattern and does a suprisingly large of damage. And her ultimate hits everything around her for very large damage. Oh, and she also gives reduced healing.

So, she deals a lot of damage, like Miss Fortune, but that's not the problem. The problem is that, unlike Miss Fortune, her abilities cost nothing, have low cooldown AND she isn't squishy.

So, if you're squishy, how the hell do you beat Katarina when you're mid?

eSPee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2010

This is not what the thread is about.

This thread is about "I'm a proud Corki Main herp derp"

Kat is just weak. If you Valkyrie after she uses her Q and E you may attack her freely. And mind she can harass you every 10 seconds while you can harass her every 1 second with your basic attack for like the same damage.

A Bad Idea

10-03-2010

ANTI-KAT ADVICE FROM A KAT PLAYER:

You have to know that there are two main Kat builds:

-AD Kat prioritizes her knife, so that will be her main form of harassment. If she's bouncing it off of minions to get to you, keep to the side of your minions as you farm. If she goes for you anyway, make her pay for it by blasting her with Phosphorous Bomb as she closes in, because the knife has pathetic range.
-AP Kat prioritizes her Shunpo, and absolutely thrives against squishy mids. When she gets Killer Instincts, she will use that to hit you with Shunpo and escape with relatively low damage. As Corki, you have ways of punishing her for doing this, despite the damage reduction. Blasting her with Phospherous Bomb as soon as she blinks in will save you from the additional autoattack she generally harasses with, as well as punishes her for attacking you. If you are AD, hit Gatling Gun after you flashbang her as she scrambles back to her side of the line to put more damage on her, and you'll see she took more damage from that exchange than you did, with or without Killer Instincts.

In both cases, do not be afraid of her; that is what Kat DEPENDS on. She can harass you, fine, but make her pay for it by harassing back.

The second most important fact to bring up is that Kat is a TERRIBLE farmer. She is only trumped by Poppy in lane pushing ineffectiveness. While in lane, Kat has to commit to one of two things: use her skills to harass, or use her skills to last hit. Corki has the advantage of being able to farm and harass at the same time using Gatling Gun (AD) or Phosphorous Bomb (AP), so keep the push going and get her to her tower eventually. This will rob her of much needed cash if you have been vigilant in your harassing or farming.

HOWEVER...

Things get VERY dangerous when Kat reaches lvl 6. Corki has no stun, so he has an EXTREMELY hard time facing Kat 1v1. DO NOT USE VALKYRIE UNTIL YOU SEE HER START DEATH LOTUS. I cannot stress this enough. Just because she blinks in with Shunpo does NOT mean she's going to Lotus right away. She might just be baiting you so she can Flash after you and Death Lotus or something. If you've pushed her to her tower and she bluepills back at lvl 6, this is the most dangerous scenario for anyone except maybe Mordekaiser. If you run Flash yourself, fine, use it to escape - but ONLY after you confirm that she's using Death Lotus. If you happen to panic and use all your escape tools WITHOUT Kat doing Death Lotus, then all she has to do is wait five seconds for her next assassination attempt, while your escape skills are on cooldown, which results in no losses for Kat. Taking one or two Death Lotus ticks is not bad, and makes Kat waste her ult, allowing you to lane safely for about another minute unless Kat wanders off and kills someone else. Which brings me to the next part about lvl 6 Kat...

CALL MIAS LIKE CRAZY.
Kat can't farm. At all. She's terrible at it. So what does she do for money? Kills every other lane, only to return with a shiny new Rylai's or BF Sword to kill you at mid. The more she wanders, the more you are allowed to push. And if your allies are aware enough to not get killed by her, then you deny her precious money and EXP. She will return to lane weak, and you have a distinctive edge over her.

TL;DR version: Punish her for harassing you, don't Valk/Flash until she ults, call MIAs to stop her ganks.

Azakir

10-03-2010

@eSPee: What an idiot post. In fact, more than idiot. I didn't create this thread to brag, I jsut wrote what I did to indicate that usually I never have any problems mid, except when against kat. Hence the point of this thread, idiot. Also, using valkyrie to actually get into Kat's face is probably the worst thing you could do. All she needs to do is ult then shunpo, and you're dead. Also, like I said, she's not that squishy, so Corki's combo wont kill her instantly like it does with (for example) Twisted Fate.

@A Bad Idea: Thanks a lot! Unlike the idiot who posted before you, you actually went to the point of this thread, and posted very helpful info.

Thought

10-03-2010

Also, if you need to pop a health pot, be sure to do it far away from Kat, otherwise your pot will be screwed ):

coons

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bad Idea View Post

-AD Kat prioritizes her knife, so that will be her main form of harassment. If she's bouncing it off of minions to get to you, keep to the side of your minions as you farm. If she goes for you anyway, make her pay for it by blasting her with Phosphorous Bomb as she closes in, because the knife has pathetic range.
-AP Kat prioritizes her Shunpo, and absolutely thrives against squishy mids. When she gets Killer Instincts, she will use that to hit you with Shunpo and escape with relatively low damage. As Corki, you have ways of punishing her for doing this, despite the damage reduction. Blasting her with Phospherous Bomb as soon as she blinks in will save you from the additional autoattack she generally harasses with, as well as punishes her for attacking you. If you are AD, hit Gatling Gun after you flashbang her as she scrambles back to her side of the line to put more damage on her, and you'll see she took more damage from that exchange than you did, with or without Killer Instincts.

In both cases, do not be afraid of her; that is what Kat DEPENDS on. She can harass you, fine, but make her pay for it by harassing back.

The second most important fact to bring up is that Kat is a TERRIBLE farmer. She is only trumped by Poppy in lane pushing ineffectiveness. While in lane, Kat has to commit to one of two things: use her skills to harass, or use her skills to last hit. Corki has the advantage of being able to farm and harass at the same time using Gatling Gun (AD) or Phosphorous Bomb (AP), so keep the push going and get her to her tower eventually. This will rob her of much needed cash if you have been vigilant in your harassing or farming.

HOWEVER...

Things get VERY dangerous when Kat reaches lvl 6. Corki has no stun, so he has an EXTREMELY hard time facing Kat 1v1. DO NOT USE VALKYRIE UNTIL YOU SEE HER START DEATH LOTUS. I cannot stress this enough. Just because she blinks in with Shunpo does NOT mean she's going to Lotus right away. She might just be baiting you so she can Flash after you and Death Lotus or something. If you've pushed her to her tower and she bluepills back at lvl 6, this is the most dangerous scenario for anyone except maybe Mordekaiser. If you run Flash yourself, fine, use it to escape - but ONLY after you confirm that she's using Death Lotus. If you happen to panic and use all your escape tools WITHOUT Kat doing Death Lotus, then all she has to do is wait five seconds for her next assassination attempt, while your escape skills are on cooldown, which results in no losses for Kat. Taking one or two Death Lotus ticks is not bad, and makes Kat waste her ult, allowing you to lane safely for about another minute unless Kat wanders off and kills someone else. Which brings me to the next part about lvl 6 Kat...

CALL MIAS LIKE CRAZY.
Kat can't farm. At all. She's terrible at it. So what does she do for money? Kills every other lane, only to return with a shiny new Rylai's or BF Sword to kill you at mid. The more she wanders, the more you are allowed to push. And if your allies are aware enough to not get killed by her, then you deny her precious money and EXP. She will return to lane weak, and you have a distinctive edge over her.

TL;DR version: Punish her for harassing you, don't Valk/Flash until she ults, call MIAs to stop her ganks.
lol i cant belive this nerd just took the time to do this.

giguelingueling

10-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bad Idea View Post

HOWEVER...

CALL MIAS LIKE CRAZY.

Don't give away how to counter kat she's enough up atm

FoS Lagueras

10-04-2010

corki used to be my main for many months so i encounterd kat a few times and hear is what ive found to do.

let her make the first move, chances are if she shumpos you she will death lotus. so valkryie away. BUT, what i used to do is Valkyrie behind her and then flip on gattle and throw down bomb, going behind her throws her off guard and you have effectively done a ton of dmg while making her escape more difficult

btw what is your build just out of curiosity?

Micro102

10-04-2010

The only thing I don't get is how you can call her a bad farmer. Doesn't her bouncing blade do damage to several minions and her shunpo, both of which cost nothing to use? That seems a lot better then champions who rely on auto attacks to last hit

ViktorBarney

10-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by coons View Post
lol i cant belive this nerd just took the time to do this.
******** much?