When do you pick Leona?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Admiral Love

10-30-2012

I main support, and I just bought Leona but I'm always hesitant to try her. She seems really good, but also really niche. I see her do really well in certain scenarios, but a lot of the time she just gets pooped on.

When do you guys pick Leona? What adcs does she synchronize well with? Which lane combos tend to destroy her?

FaerellG

10-30-2012

So, I recently explained to my groups usual support player why I don't like Leona: she's an all in champion and because she has no sustain mechanics, she has very little room for error. Her Zenith+Shieldbash combo really requires perfect timing with your AD to maximize the effect, and it puts her balls deep in the enemy lines with no escape.

She's certainly strong, but it requires too much coordination for our playgroup's current level of technical skill and communication.

Amatzikahni

10-30-2012

I prefer Leona when we could use another peel/tank for our teamfights. The lane phase will be slightly lackluster unless you can somehow come out on top of trades and prevent them from healing back up, but the peels Leona has for the ADC (in addition to a ranged AoE initiate) makes it worthwhile.

I also pick Leona against a Blitz. If he wants to pull me, his damage output is lackluster and both of us focus their AD with stuns and burst damage.

barbeerian

10-30-2012

I find her really good against other kill lane supports (like Blitz as mentioned above), a blitz pull is just a free gap closer for Leona. With her pile o' CC opposing kill lanes will have a hard time being more effective than you since you can just stunlock their ADC and force the other support to peel you while your carry pew pews.

Poke lanes will absolutely destroy her unless they're retarded. They'll just poke you and back away out of reach, rinse & repeat until either you have to B, or you or your carry are dead. With no sustain or range there's not a damn thing you're gonna do about that either.

Sustain lanes will generally beat you since they can slowly heal any damage you do, whereas you can't do the same so they'll tend to push you back to B more often than not. Sometimes you can Zenith Blade in and help burst down their carry pretty quick, but any of the better sustain supports won't have too much of a problem peeling you before you and your carry can score the kill. (Ex: Sona will just slow or stun you [Powerchord + E, Ult, or Exhaust), speed boost her carry so they can run, and then heal them)

Eydolon

10-30-2012

I like t pick her when Bot is ezreal or corki because they have a very easy time following up and procsing her passive in lane. I also pick her when theres is also anotehr good tank initiator in the jungle, or a malphite top for example... because in that way u can land ur perfect combo better and pick ur targets,,, but above all you dont get all the aggro when initiating a teamfight. I prefer it this way because then we have 2 very tanky champs who can initiat and bodyguard and the squishy can do their work.

Leona is listed as a tank, and lategame she is a very powerfull one in terms of resilence... but there is a moment in the match where she just dont have the items to initiate and is forced midgame to eat all the dmg. So if you have a tanky pal who can go balls in with you... ull be fine and then when u get ur lategame items.. ull be just set to protct and initiate at will.

PapeRarty

11-03-2012

My main support is Leona and I love her.

However, FaerellG has it right, she requires a LOT of coordination with your carry. Because of this, she's very difficult to use in solo que. If you don't have good coordination with your carry you end up getting yourself, or both of you killed. So if you can get the timing down, I say use her whenever you don't need sustain in lane or are going for a kill lane bot. Otherwise stick with Sona, Soraka or Taric.

Elodin

11-03-2012

I can say I like seeing a Leona when I play Draven, basically I want Leona when I want to be agressive and try to go for kills in lane.