Twisted Treeline Pros and Cons

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Isher

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

Hey there, Riot. Just wanted to give you some feedback. First off, Love the new setup. Definitely achieved your goal of making the map less biased toward teleporting champions.

The new jungle camps are neat, and the shrines make an interesting mechanic, although it seems mostly to be 'just hold one, don't let the other team get both' mentality... Still, 10% damage boost if you do get it is very cool.

In the cons side... I don't think you quite made it less tank oriented. I played against a few teams who just ran all tank as usual, and the towers were so weak they couldn't hurt them at all. The towers and the death timers are my only real concerns; team comp isn't really a map issue in my opinion.

The towers... they die in what, ten shots mid game? Ridiculously weak. I understand that there is a desire to have the game go faster, but in reality what's happening is it's a back and forth until mid-game, when one team gets an ace or at least a double kill. Then, due to the long death timer, the other team just pushes down all three towers and the nexus for the win. I thought maybe taking ten or twelve seconds off the timer at lvl 18 (Scale it however you like) Would be appropriate, especially in a short-game setup. Maybe a BIT of extra armor or damage on the towers, but the death timer is my major qualm.

Edit: Reasoning for this is because it turns the game into a turtle-mode type of thing, where everyone plays incredibly cautiously and just tries as hard as possible NOT TO DIE, which makes the game drag on. With a decreased death penalty (as on the Crystal Scar) players will be bolder.

You did a good job with it overall, just these issues made it seem somewhat... lackluster.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Piggie B

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isher View Post
Hey there, Riot. Just wanted to give you some feedback. First off, Love the new setup. Definitely achieved your goal of making the map less biased toward teleporting champions.

The new jungle camps are neat, and the shrines make an interesting mechanic, although it seems mostly to be 'just hold one, don't let the other team get both' mentality... Still, 10% damage boost if you do get it is very cool.

In the cons side... I don't think you quite made it less tank oriented. I played against a few teams who just ran all tank as usual, and the towers were so weak they couldn't hurt them at all. The towers and the death timers are my only real concerns; team comp isn't really a map issue in my opinion.

The towers... they die in what, ten shots mid game? Ridiculously weak. I understand that there is a desire to have the game go faster, but in reality what's happening is it's a back and forth until mid-game, when one team gets an ace or at least a double kill. Then, due to the long death timer, the other team just pushes down all three towers and the nexus for the win. I thought maybe taking ten or twelve seconds off the timer at lvl 18 (Scale it however you like) Would be appropriate, especially in a short-game setup. Maybe a BIT of extra armor or damage on the towers, but the death timer is my major qualm.

Edit: Reasoning for this is because it turns the game into a turtle-mode type of thing, where everyone plays incredibly cautiously and just tries as hard as possible NOT TO DIE, which makes the game drag on. With a decreased death penalty (as on the Crystal Scar) players will be bolder.

You did a good job with it overall, just these issues made it seem somewhat... lackluster.
I've actually found the opposite; bruiser-heavy team comps are very heavily played, but I more often see a balls-out aggressive play style than a turtle one. I think the real question would be which one beats the other - the cautious, wait for your opponent to make a mistake approach, or the aggressive, FORCE your opponent to make a mistake approach.

Not sure how I feel about the death timers, honestly, I hadn't given it much thought; although I fear that short timers might encourage recklessness, which can be detrimental to gameplay, while aggression doesn't have as great a risk of that.

I do agree with the towers, though - their weakness favors champions such as Warwick or Rengar, who just tear through them in no time, and the amount of times that I've just pushed up a lane and let it take itself while the teams dance around the jungle skirmishing are a little too common.