New to Dominion, Tips Please!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TimeWhisp

10-29-2012

I've been playing LOL for about 6 months now. I play mostly summoner's rift and proving grounds/aram. About a week ago I was curious about dominion so I queued up a beginner bot game. It was a ton of fun. I've played about 20 or so bot games since. I really want to do a normal queue but I feel like I don't have a good grasp of the strategy that real players will use. I've searched the internet for some guides for conventional strategies but I come up with a lot of guides that seem dated. So I was wondering if I could get some tips from people who have a lot of games under their belts.

The main things I'm looking to learn are, what are the different roles? What should I be doing in terms of teamwork? What are some safe champions/builds I could start with? Other must know information. A link to a good guide to dominion would be perfect.

Also I'm level 30. Will that put me in queue's with other level 30's or will put me in queues with people with a similar win total for dominion? I don't wanna start out with a bunch of experienced players and get roflstomped. Maybe starting off with a smurf account is a good idea?

Thanks for any help!

ricedream5

10-29-2012

There's this guide a few threads below this post that will explain everything.
Here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2244698

Shukarhazh

10-29-2012

Quick rundown: depending on your (hidden and unreadable) ELO, you'll either have 1v1 or 2v2 at the bottom lane, and the remaining 3 (or 4) go top. Bot lane should be able to push the minion wave without dying easily, while top should adopt a teamfight composition. (Initiator, AD, AP, and an extra of any). Fights generally happen in 2s and 3s, so everyone should be able to at least escape a 1v2 situation ideally. The basic plan is to hold the two points closest to your Nexus along with the top point, but don't be afraid to break away and either gank the enemy bot laner or back-cap enemy mid point if top is too hard to take. You need to hold 3 points, doesn't matter which in the long run.

As for champions, tanky damage-dealers are your best bet. Darius, Jax, Riven, Brand, Ryze, and Wukong are a few that come to mind. Since you're gonna be stuck in fights no matter what, you want to be able to take a burst and not instantly explode, but still do enough damage to fight back. Expect to die, though. A lot. Just don't do it pointlessly and you'll do alright.

If you want the big picture, the guide linked in the post above mine explains all the details far better than I just did, but will probably take you forever to read. :P Well worth reading for competitive Dominion though.

TimeWhisp

10-29-2012

Thank you for your posts. I read through the guide and that was very helpful. I think I will take your advice Ed and go with a decent tanky damage dealer to start. I have a few of the one's you suggested.

Rikukun

10-29-2012

Here is a guide that I am working on. It is not as extensive as Sauron's, but I think it covers some useful information that his may not. It is also much shorter so it's easier to read, although you should definitely also read his guide if you ever get serious about dominion.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...XblN94Ul4/edit

MMKH

10-29-2012

Roam with your team and pick a character that fills a role in the team comp. For example, pick Corki with an all tanky derp team and build AP.