Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Garen or Mordekaiser?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

clappersucks

10-03-2010

So I have been looking for a good tank-type hero to play as. I've had some success as Garen, but I view him more as a dps/tank hybrid, especially since he wasn't designed as a tank in the first place. So I recently bought Mord since he looked like a really good tank, but the first few games I've played with him I haven't done so well.

What I wanted to know was, am I playing Mord wrong? What builds should I go on him to make him effective? Or is he just not that good of a tank and I should just stick with Garen till I can buy someone else?

Carados

10-03-2010

Garen is acutally good... Mordekaiser only works against terrible people.

Edit: As a point, Mordekaiser isn't a tank.

Double edit: The below build is dumb. If you're building Warmogs on Mordekaiser, or even Sunfire Cape, you need to read his abilities. He isn't a tank.

Redmercy

10-03-2010

Hey well Garen is amazing however Mordekaiser is also very good, either one can rape face but garen prob. can a bit harder but not always. I have 2 tutorials for each hero I recommend u check out, but keep in mind, for my Morde tutorial, the Warmongs is my own personal preference and unless you know how to play morde well i suggest u skip that item, nontheless the vids intention was to show how to play heroes not build them as u can look that up anywhere, so enjoy!
Garen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nesPPONxflk
Morde: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1na0F8eglw&annotation_id=annotation_875549&feature=iv

Slippi

10-03-2010

But the way that mordekaiser scales into late game is by stacking MR and armor because of his unique shield which acts as an endless HP bar. Why get warmogs if it offers no resistance?

AsteriskCGY

10-03-2010

Massive health regen is massive health regen, regardless?

Carados

10-03-2010

Quote:
AsteriskCGY:
Massive health regen is massive health regen, regardless?

Health regeneration is not survability, at least not in any achievable sense.

There is no reason to get any health regeneration past your Warden's Mail, because that pays for your spells.

larkhill

10-03-2010

first off, the people saying morde cant tank have never tried. it does work, and works very well.

the reason tank morde works is that he doent need much help in the dmg department. some mpen is all he needs to dominate

the final build ends up looking something like

frozen mallet
sorc shoes
haunting guise
spirit visige/randuins
FoN
abyssal

with the last 3 being interchangeable in order.

morde works simply because he's hard to kill, farms better and faster than almost every champ, and is basically immune to harassing and in a teamfight, he can constantly replenish his shield and turn the fight into a 6v5 very quickly

garen is a different story entirely. garen's success works by ambushing people and catchign them off guard. his early game is very good and if given the chance early, he will carry the game.

the difference ends up being how long a game lasts. if both garen and morde get their full builds, morde wins hands down. his ult+ ignite takes out someone easily. 1v1 u might be able to survive if u burst him down fast enough but after he gets that much MR and hp and cdr for his shield, its over... then him + pet takes out anyone else in his way. theres very little one can do against morde + pet late game, besides focus him and leave the rest of his team to eat u alive.

garen late game isnt all that terrifying. he doesnt do all that much dmg and he doesnt really intimidate people. his main job is to execute people with low hp. he cant bring them to that point by himself though. if u can stay away from his melee range, he cant even do anything until ur at low hp anyway, whereas morde can ult+ignite from afar and pick u off with his cone

the reason garen is so feared is because of the early game advantage he has. his early game demolishes people and if u give him a few kills early on, he'll run away with it. given no kills early on, you'll see just how intimidating he is mid/late game.

Carados

10-03-2010

Quote:
Larkhill:
first off, the people saying morde cant tank have never tried. it does work, and works very well.

Only if you're dumb enough to define tank as something that can't possibly be done over the course of a game.

What is the role of a tank, according to you, then?

Redmercy

10-03-2010

its someone who initiates and soaks up most the dmg b4 the rest of the team come in

Carados

10-03-2010

Quote:
Redmercy:
its someone who initiates and soaks up most the dmg b4 the rest of the team come in

Mordekaiser intiaties by:

Mordekaiser force the enemy team to use their primary damage sources on him, when they are unwilling to do so, how: