How many maps can 10 million active players support?

1 3 4.23%
2 4 5.63%
3 6 8.45%
4 1 1.41%
5 12 16.90%
6 6 8.45%
7 3 4.23%
8 1 1.41%
9 2 2.82%
10+ 33 46.48%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

How many maps can 30 million players support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Orenin

10-31-2012

The only reason they deleted Twisted Treeline when they brought out Shadow Isles is because
some MORON(won't say who but if you look around forums enough you'll find out) at Riot thinks that 30 million people can't support more than 3 main maps. "The queue times would be too long". Utter rubbish. The queue times wouldn't be too long even with 10 maps.

My favorite map was REPLACED because somone was too stupid to take note of basic math. Whatever. Getting on the bandwagon and leaving for smite. Which doesnt have 10 million active players and has perfectly fine queue times I might add.

So how many maps can 30 million people support? What does the community think?

Exqzr

10-31-2012

Hmmm,

You are right even if you are on a mini rage. I feel you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenin View Post
The only reason they deleted Twisted Treeline when they brought out Shadow Isles is because
some MORON(won't say who but if you look around forums enough you'll find out) at Riot thinks that 30 million people can't support more than 3 main maps. "The queue times would be too long". Utter rubbish. The queue times wouldn't be too long even with 10 maps.

My favorite map was REPLACED because somone was too stupid to take note of basic math. Whatever. Getting on the bandwagon and leaving for smite. Which doesnt have 10 million active players and has perfectly fine queue times I might add.

So how many maps can 30 million people support? What does the community think?

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2012

Quote:
some MORON(won't say who but if you look around forums enough you'll find out) at Riot thinks that 30 million people can't support more than 3 main maps. "The queue times would be too long".
But they would be, let me ask you, why do you hate Dominion?, 20% of the community will respond "cuz Dominion" 0.1% of the community will say that they like Dominion, 0.4% of the community willl say that they dislike Dominion but actually give a valid rreason 79.6% of the community will say "cuz pro say it bad and i wunna be liek pro"<--sad but true as long as the sheep mind reminds maps would have annoyingly long queue times because of sheeps brainwashing themselves summonner's rift would remain the mainstream map and the other maps would be "bad cuz pro said it, heard it first at pro streeem", Riot has lived it, Dominion has half an hour queue time as a bare minimum, Vesh is ranked 1900 Hidden Elo on Dominion and has a 2:30 hours queu time and that's a great problem with the Sr community, they think they are entitled to things in silvercase and that the other modes wouldn't matter and they are the bulk of lol, having more maps would just split the player base further and goodbye 2hrs queu times hello 4 hrs qeue times.
actually i was talking with one of them Yesterday and guess what was his first about twisted treeline:
"Meeh they should stop wasting time with 3v3 and all that **** that's not important ,and give us another 5v5 map nobody cares about those other maps anyways Riot just released new Twisted treeline as testing grounds for items before putting them on summonner's Rift", <---as long as people as this exist and keep brainwashing other people there's no reason to split the already small non-sr playerbase, let's jsut feel happy that they are momentarily paying more attention to other gamemodes before going back to give Sr players everything on a silvercase.

Orenin

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infirc View Post
But they would be, let me ask you, why do you hate Dominion?, 20% of the community will respond "cuz Dominion" 0.1% of the community will say that they like Dominion, 0.4% of the community willl say that they dislike Dominion but actually give a valid rreason 79.6% of the community will say "cuz pro say it bad and i wunna be liek pro"<--sad but true as long as the sheep mind reminds maps would have annoyingly long queue times because of sheeps brainwashing themselves summonner's rift would remain the mainstream map and the other maps would be "bad cuz pro said it, heard it first at pro streeem", Riot has lived it, Dominion has half an hour queue time as a bare minimum, Vesh is ranked 1900 Hidden Elo on Dominion and has a 2:30 hours queu time and that's a great problem with the Sr community, they think they are entitled to things in silvercase and that the other modes wouldn't matter and they are the bulk of lol, having more maps would just split the player base further and goodbye 2hrs queu times hello 4 hrs qeue times.
actually i was talking with one of them Yesterday and guess what was his first about twisted treeline:
"Meeh they should stop wasting time with 3v3 and all that **** that's not important ,and give us another 5v5 map nobody cares about those other maps anyways Riot just released new Twisted treeline as testing grounds for items before putting them on summonner's Rift", <---as long as people as this exist and keep brainwashing other people there's no reason to split the already small non-sr playerbase, let's jsut feel happy that they are momentarily paying more attention to other gamemodes before going back to give Sr players everything on a silvercase.
first of all I never said I hated dominion...or anything at all about dominion. But I dislike maps with rapid innate gp/5 generation, and increased gold. Laning is my favorite part of the game.

And no ,the queue times wouldn't be too long. Thats 1 million active players for each map. Did LoL have more than 1 million players when it started out?

fiddlesticksssss

10-31-2012

I would say six at the max. Only 11 million accounts log on per month. I myself have 20 smurf accounts around level 1 or 2 with stupid names like asdfsdioudfa or asdfiunvvnvn. So 30 million accounts total is adding everyone with 1 or more smurf account.

Phourc

10-31-2012

You're forgetting that each map has multiple queues, SR for example has Beginner Bot, Intermediate Bot, Normal, Draft Normal and Ranked queues - that's 5 queues for one map. (Dom has only four queues but one of them is completely empty xP)

FDru

11-01-2012

Quote:
first of all I never said I hated dominion...or anything at all about dominion. But I dislike maps with rapid innate gp/5 generation, and increased gold. Laning is my favorite part of the game.

And no ,the queue times wouldn't be too long. Thats 1 million active players for each map. Did LoL have more than 1 million players when it started out?
You miss the point. Dominion has 75% of the active players as the old TT, and yet has terrible queue times unless you're at rock bottom, entry-level elo.

In new TT I have a 25-15 w/l and already have 20 minute queues.

At any given point in time, there's just not enough players queueing for alternate game modes to have reasonable queue times, and adding additional queues will not help things.

Go try to queue for Dominion draft and see what happens. Most players give up before waiting an hour, but queue times can easily exceed 2 hours.

LucidFlux

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infirc View Post
Uhhh... I play Dom at 1am-3am which is usually when there's the least players and I'm only waiting maybe 2mins at most to find a game.

Taarki

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
You miss the point. Dominion has 75% of the active players as the old TT, and yet has terrible queue times unless you're at rock bottom, entry-level elo.

In new TT I have a 25-15 w/l and already have 20 minute queues.

At any given point in time, there's just not enough players queueing for alternate game modes to have reasonable queue times, and adding additional queues will not help things.

Go try to queue for Dominion draft and see what happens. Most players give up before waiting an hour, but queue times can easily exceed 2 hours.
20 min for a queue time? to long, i think riot should put old TT back becuase when i had like 100-60 record on old TT my que times never acceded 30 seconds EVEN when playing with lower/higher elo players than me (normal mode)

Redenbacher

11-01-2012

For one, 30 million people aren't on concurrently. Two, some 80 or 90% (probably a higher percentage - I'd be curious to know) of those players are on SR, not TT or Dominion.

Three, did it ever occur to you that perhaps Riot doesn't want to take on the burden of supporting two maps that are arguably the same game mode (3v3 destroy-the-nexus)?

If you recall, that was the reason Magma Chamber was scrapped. They did not want to support two 5v5 maps with the same objective.

They're going to watch, wait, and tweak this map based on our feedback. They aren't going to make those changes based on knee-jerk reactions. They're going to make that feedback based on hard data, and well constructed/communicated opinions on the state of the map. Creating silly polls is not constructive feedback.

Some individuals have taken the time to clearly communicate feedback in a well constructed post - THAT is what they are looking for. If you're just going to rant and rave from your 'design arm chair', don't expect to see any response.

Oh, and everything FDru said in his post above is true. The higher the Elo, the faster the number of active players drop. Queue times quickly become unfavorable for the mode. They are not going to support another map for that reason alone.