Riot is kinda bringing the lore down

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LordOfLoot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
Kha'zix certainly has a personality. He has an arrogance that comes with his certainty in the Void's eventual victory and a clearly finds excitement in his kills, "[burning] with anticipation" at the thought of hunting stronger prey. In the same way that both Cho'gath and Kog'maw show different aspects of the Void, Kha'zix shows us the inevitability of its victory over whatever stands in its path, twinned with the careful nature of its current advance into our world. He isn't some ravenous monster that eats everything put before it but a careful and discerning predator, picking out the choicest prey so he might one day have the strength to overcome any obstacle put before him.

Kha'zix is the malign intelligence of the Void, testing and probing Valoran to learn its strengths, adapt so it can overcome them and encompassing them into itself. He is the terror of a beast that always finds a way to defeat the challenges put before them and only emerges the stronger from its trials. His lore states that Kha'zix successes led him to believe that he was "unstoppable" but his fight with Rengar showed him all too clearly that he had ground left to cover.
That is some interesting lore. The problem is that its pretty much all presumption on your part, and while it could be true, it isn't stated in the lore. that COULD be what Kha'Zix is all about, or it could be completely off the mark, we don't know.

Concerning crossing from the void: Malzahar is a link that some great malefic being has made with Runeterra. This being, who was powerful enough to corrupt a man's mind with whispers from across dimensions, was able to send only a child through the rift he created. So while I'm certainly not saying its impossible for something to cross the void, its something that needs to be explained. "For all we know" is a pretty good sign that the lore is doing a poor job explaining, and its something that's very important.

Concerning what he represents about the Void:

"A vicious Void predator, Kha'Zix infiltrated Valoran to devour the land's most promising creatures." That is all we know about Kha'Zix's connection to the void from the lore.
"Fear the Void." This is the only thing in game Kha'Zix says about the void.

Off of this we can't presume that Kha'Zix is an intelligent being of the void sent to test this realm, that he is certain of the Void's dominance, or anything. Your idea of him being one of the Void's most badass, a harbinger of the void showing they are carefully advancing into our world is, again, cool, but is it true?

Let me give you an alternative that works within his lore. Kha'Zix is the low man on the totem poll in the Void. He sneaks into Valoran (somehow) for a chance to become something great. As he starts devouring creatures here he becomes intoxicated with power and pride. He now believes himself to be the greatest, and cannot handle it when Rengar takes that away from him, so he vows to devour him.

Either way it fits the vagueness of the lore, but 'underdog trying to show everyone he can be the strongest' is a massive change from 'the precision predator from another land who believes in his people's superiority unquestioningly'

So its a big question mark about how he waltzed over here when the other two Void creatures were 1) summoned by dark rituals and 2) pushed through a crack by some powerful evil being. Also his motivations (beyond "eat strong things") and his past are very murky.

His personality is poorly fleshed out as well. The total of what we know about his character is that he likes to hunt strong things, and that he is prideful. If you think "Must eat strong food" oversimplifies that, how about this:
"You can say that he's lacking as a character, and you'd be right... He hunts and kills simply because it is his sole purpose to exist..."

Honestly it seems like you disagree not because you like the lore that is there for Kha'Zix, but because you have built your own that satisfies you. I am not suggesting that the idea behind Kha'Zix is bad and he needs to be reworked into 'someone we can relate to' or anything of the sort. My point is that as he is right now he is not a creature we can understand at all, because he is vaguely outlined, 2-dimensional in his goals and actions, and practically a loop-hole in the 'end of days/ the Void cannot simply waltz in' lore

Melancholy Exile

10-30-2012

Oh, I'm fairly certain you're right here, really. I suppose that I've simply grown so used to working with the scraps Riot offers us that I've taken to filling in the blanks myself and piloting my own little theories to try and explain characters' motivations and further understand their inner workings. It's a fairly inevitable consequence of my running a blog on tumblr to specifically do that for Riven.

Frankly, just about everything I've said since I joined this little discussion has been spur-of-the-moment attempts at rationalising his lore and actually making it "work" within my own head. As you say, my inferences might not be the same as another person's or even especially well supported by what's there. Kha'zix honestly isn't a character I especially care for but, with just a cursory glance over his lore, I've been able to get a decent idea of who I think he is, how he operates and what drives him onwards. I'm just a little too comfortable with the idea of using 'logical' headcanons to fill in the gaps.

Really, I think I've more been here because I've been trying to build my own understanding of Kha'zix and get to the point where I can say "Yeah, this guy is pretty interesting". I very much agree with your little summary and, in all likelihood, I've just been trying to add dimensions to a character who is essentially flat.

So yeah: Take everything I've said with a grain of salt.

Skeith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2012

See, this is the problem, Melancholy Exile. You made Kha'Zhix exciting. I was reading everything you have written and I started to see life in Kha'Zhix. Then I went to read his lore again and the image you created for me disappeared. This bothers me because I think Riot is just throwing the lore away.

Basically, they are letting everything for us to speculate, which I really like. But this becomes very boring when you can't see if what you speculated was right. We make awesome and exciting stories in our minds but we get nothing official. Not to say the constantly growing plot holes.

Man the JoJ was so fun =/

Even giving items lore to us...

Please can a red tell us if there is something on the making???

Skeith

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
I think that Riot's new lore delivery method is different from the classic style that we, the original players are used to. However this does not mean that it is inferior in anyway - just different.
I'm sorry Sylph, but after seeing the initial motivation and actions of the characters, I do think some of the lore is worse. I already stated why I think this when I showed the example of WW and Soraka. Sure, they may have a reason to rewrite, maybe to fit what they have for the future.

Of course this varies from person to person, me thinks.

Sylph

Emissary of the League

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeith View Post
I'm sorry Sylph, but after seeing the initial motivation and actions of the characters, I do think some of the lore is worse. I already stated why I think this when I showed the example of WW and Soraka. Sure, they may have a reason to rewrite, maybe to fit what they have for the future.

Of course this varies from person to person, me thinks.
No need to be sorry. And yes, everything in life varies person to person.

KiteMeGood

11-01-2012

Well at this state, the lore is hitting an all time low. With DOTA2 coming closer than ever, I got this rotten feeling in me knowing that we are steadily making mistakes.

Fiendish Dr Wu

11-02-2012

Lore is one of the reasons I fell in love with the game because all the champions seemed to be connected one way or another, there was the over arching world they were in and then they each had their personal stories and a reason why they gathered in the league. Now, it's like this dribble was written 20 minutes before skill set reveal. The don't even bother to give a reason why they are in the league anymore.

I miss the league judgments that gave the characters more depth and I miss the JoJ that expanded the world and champion relationships occasionally. They even treated us-the summoners as characters in their world, people who worked alongside the champions of the league, but not anymore it seems. There is no personality in the lore anymore, it makes it difficult to care about these newer champions because their lore is just so shallow and poorly written.

KiteMeGood

11-02-2012

I agree, this is just the start of a very long fall. Soon people will despite the difficulty of DOTA2 will flock to it because DOTA2 cares more about it's fans than LoL is doing at the moment.

Ogaflow

11-02-2012

Is it just me or has Riot taken a complete withdraw from any of the champion lore having anything to do with the league itself as an entity. After the Darius/Swain conspiracy it seems like Riot didn't want the champion lore to be so directly tied to the core of the game. Hence we don't have JoJ anymore, Judgements, Lore matches and reasons any of the new champions have been joining the League....

Perhaps the genius writer/s of the lore left the company and it seems the "newer" or not as interested parties of the writing team just don't know how to fill the shoes of the one/s who may have left.

It is a rotten shame too when you think about it, this game had a very rich story that made the champions feel almost alive in some cases. Now every time I read a new champion's lore I have more questions about the champion then before I read it.

I really did enjoy the Soraka, Warwick rework though. As much as I liked the idea of Soraka being the all powerful spirit that turns herself into this hideous goat monster to change a chemist into a werewolf. It makes more sense that Warwick was trying to lure Soraka away from her sacred grove so he could complete a new elixer that would make him incredibly powerful. So he used subterfuge about his dying wife and her would be killers to bait her into using her powers to save him, become mortal and ultimately give him his prize.

One thing I want to point out before I go as a strong case of the writers just not knowing what they are writing about was the Viktor and Jayce problem. Viktor being a scientist who had his research stolen so he secludes himself so nobody can ever steal his ideas again and Jayce who basically said Viktor stole his stuff so he made a giant hammergun and smashed Viktors face and is now a hero.....

KiteMeGood

11-02-2012

You summed it up perfectly. Shurelia and Randuin's departure from the company was when the fall started.