Increase starting gold to 850?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garlyle Wilds

10-28-2012

So I was doing some thinking and number crunching.

The current initial gold on Twisted Treeline is 825. This is, in essence, enough for any of the following combinations:

1. Any two of: Cloth Armor, Boots of Speed, Brawler's Gloves, Null-Magic Mantle, Long Sword, Dagger
2. One Doran's/Regrowth Pendant/Vampiric Sceptre plus most of the above (most noticably, Doran's + Boots)
3. Cloth Armor or Rejuvenation Bead plus an Ichor
4. One of the following: Chain Vest, Negatron Cloak, Avarice Blade, Philosopher's Stone, Heart of Gold (+potions on any except the last two)

Increasing the initial gold by 25 opens up only two additional possibilities for sole-item purchases: Cloak of Agility and Ninja Tabi. The only new item you are now able to purchase two of is the Dagger. I guess there's also Regrowth + Gloves/Mantle now, although I don't see that being particularly popular. It also adds a potion to a handful of builds - interestingly enough, it doesn't add a potion to Doran's/Boots start.

It does, however, open up a very interesting new possibility: Boots + Ichor, as an alternative to a Boots + Doran's start. I know this probably sounds fairly odd, but I think the idea of starting with that extra above-Doran's oomph - albeit on a risk - is a very interesting way to start the game. I'd like to be able to do it, and I can see it being a choice by a coordinated team with an intent on doing a group ambush or raid on the enemy altar early on, for instance.

I know that Elixirs/Ichors aren't that popular to begin with, so I think I'd like to see more opportunities to actually build and use them.

As a side effect, to those who think the above is stupid - would being able to start with Ninja Tabi be an interesting alternative? Given that apparently bruisers are winning the new treeline even harder than they used to, the auto-attack reduction/armor boost and extra movement offered by a Ninja Tabi start sounds like a good way to get a head start.

Azkalas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlyle Wilds View Post
So I was doing some thinking and number crunching.

The current initial gold on Twisted Treeline is 825. This is, in essence, enough for any of the following combinations:

1. Any two of: Cloth Armor, Boots of Speed, Brawler's Gloves, Null-Magic Mantle, Long Sword, Dagger
2. One Doran's/Regrowth Pendant/Vampiric Sceptre plus most of the above (most noticably, Doran's + Boots)
3. Cloth Armor or Rejuvenation Bead plus an Ichor
4. One of the following: Chain Vest, Negatron Cloak, Avarice Blade, Philosopher's Stone, Heart of Gold (+potions on any except the last two)

Increasing the initial gold by 25 opens up only two additional possibilities for sole-item purchases: Cloak of Agility and Ninja Tabi. The only new item you are now able to purchase two of is the Dagger. I guess there's also Regrowth + Gloves/Mantle now, although I don't see that being particularly popular. It also adds a potion to a handful of builds - interestingly enough, it doesn't add a potion to Doran's/Boots start.

It does, however, open up a very interesting new possibility: Boots + Ichor, as an alternative to a Boots + Doran's start. I know this probably sounds fairly odd, but I think the idea of starting with that extra above-Doran's oomph - albeit on a risk - is a very interesting way to start the game. I'd like to be able to do it, and I can see it being a choice by a coordinated team with an intent on doing a group ambush or raid on the enemy altar early on, for instance.

I know that Elixirs/Ichors aren't that popular to begin with, so I think I'd like to see more opportunities to actually build and use them.

As a side effect, to those who think the above is stupid - would being able to start with Ninja Tabi be an interesting alternative? Given that apparently bruisers are winning the new treeline even harder than they used to, the auto-attack reduction/armor boost and extra movement offered by a Ninja Tabi start sounds like a good way to get a head start.

Interesting points. You just forget, however, that the bruisers will also be able to start with the Tabi in case they want too! :P [And they are more likely to do this than a carry].

Rekesh

10-28-2012

starting with a tabi wouldn't be fair tbh it would snowball a lane if you were vsing a ad, tabi is almost the same as having a chainvest and you would be way too fast

NutChip

10-28-2012

If you want more starting gold use the utility tree. It actually allows for some pretty cool strategies, unlike on summoner's rift where it is generally not useful.

Boagster

10-28-2012

What NutChip said.

The Wealth mastery brings you to 845 with one rank, at best allowing you to buy an extra potion you couldn't before. With two ranks, though, it brings you to 865.

To copy my research from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boagster View Post
With no masteries, items you couldn't buy with 475 gold that you can now buy with 825 gold:
  • Chain Vest, 125 leftover gold
  • Negatron Cloak, 85 leftover gold
  • Avarice Blade, 75 leftover gold
  • Heart of Gold, no leftover gold
  • Kage's Lucky Pick, 60 leftover gold
  • Philosopher's Stone, 25 leftover gold

And with the bonus gold from the Wealth mastery (both ranks required for any of these):
  • Blasting Wand, 5 leftover gold
  • Kindlegem, 15 leftover gold
  • Ninja Tabi, 15 leftover gold
Increasing the starting gold to 850 would make it 870 and 890 with one and two ranks in Wealth, respectively. With 850 starting gold, it would look like this:

With no masteries, items you couldn't buy with 475 gold that you can now buy with 850 gold:
  • Chain Vest, 150 leftover gold
  • Negatron Cloak, 110 leftover gold
  • Avarice Blade, 100 leftover gold
  • Heart of Gold, 25 leftover gold
  • Kage's Lucky Pick, 85 leftover gold
  • Philosopher's Stone, 50 leftover gold
  • Kindlegem, no leftover gold
  • Ninja Tabi, no leftover gold

And with the bonus gold from one rank of Wealth:
  • Blasting Wand, 10 leftover gold

With two ranks of Wealth:
  • Chalice of Harmony, no leftover gold

Strixie

10-28-2012

As much as I hate the new TT, the 825g is probably a number they spent alot of time to come up with. It probably has alot of balance behind it, and increasing it just that much would make for uneven gameplay.

Boagster

10-28-2012

You are probably very right, Strixie. Looking at it, all of the Advanced Tier items that you can buy right now are GP/10 items. With Wealth, you get access to Ninja Tabi and the terribly underwhelming Kindlegem. Ninja Tabi could be a broke purchase on bruisers, but what bruiser is going that far into the Utility tree?