New to Shaco, need vet advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

painboots

10-02-2010

Well as the title says, i'm new to shaco. I've always wanted to try him and don't know why i never did, but i'm not too sure how to gear him or what runes to use. If any vet shaco players could give me some advice i would greatly appreciate it.

deMorphine

10-02-2010

Pick a different hero if you're new to him.

Fuyuzora

10-02-2010

For items and such... Just go read a guide, take their advice with a grain of salt, and then find your own build.

As for advice... In all honesty, you have to appreciate how squishy and fragile Shaco is. Know to never tower dive (unless you have lol-clone). Never initiate in the open when there's a mia. Never attack tanks (unless they're about to die).

Also, realize that Shaco isn't someone that can just lol-deceive-shiv, and kill someone unless you're fed or they're nearly dead. Don't attack someone at full health UNLESS you know for sure that 1. You can kill him/her. 2. A teammate is nearby. 3. You terrorize them so much that lol-deceive-shiv makes them wet their pants and run.

Some common sense will go along way.

PardonMySwag

10-03-2010

Do not, ever be greedy with shaco. Even though you have a few escape mechanism's (such as a built in flash) do not get over confident, you will always feed - I see new shacos doing this all the time.

I recommend jungling with him, as he is very fragile in a lane and you will get absolutely stomped if you go against someone such as Xin, Sion, Garen, etc.

For runes, I like Armor Pen Marks, Armor/Dodge Seals, Cooldown Glyphs/Magic Resist, and either Flat HP or Armor pen for Quints.

Masteries should follow 21/0/9 for the XP and neutral monster duration buff increase, aswell as getting Alacrity in offense, aswell as sunder and offensive mastery.

If you want to look at a really good guide, deagens guide for shaco on leaguecraft is HIGHLY recommended.

ItzWarty

10-03-2010

"Shaco deals 20% bonus damage when striking a unit from behind"

This is huge, and i see this ignored a lot of the time.. Striking an enemy from behind means you dishing out a lot more damage.

Do NOT deceive into fights unless you have teammates present... in fact, I tend to wait for my teammates to initiate [and get all the enemy attention] before i deceive in to destroy 1 squishy from behind...

Every once in a while, i see a shaco hallucinate, and then walk towards the enemy. That doesn't work, and I cringe every time i see it. Deceive to an enemy, hallucinate, and attack your enemy. Your enemy isn't going to stay there if you hallucinate and then spent 3 seconds walking to him/her...

For jungle shacos:
JITB traps are amazing against other junglers... By level 4, I usually have 1 deceive, 2 jitb, 1 two-shiv... Simply plant a few JITB traps when the other jungler's liz spawns [stack them on top of each other]
When your enemy comes and JITBs pop out, deceive onto them and... get a free kill

painboots

10-03-2010

that you so much for your help guys. I'll def try it out. Any specific item order it should build? Like a cookie cutter i can build off of?

John Kevin

10-03-2010

I tend to go Madred's Razors, Boots of Mobility / Merc Treads, Bloodrazors, Infinity Edge, Starks (depending on your team), then bloodthirster.

faure

10-03-2010

protip: always jungle, and always get blue buff first by stacking jitbs on where he spawns. start ganking at level 4 once you have red buff, always hunt for low life enemies and feed off noobs whenever possible.

madreds razors, boots, sheen, boots of mobility, blood razors, triforce, starks

XAQtioner

10-03-2010

I have been playing Shaco for quite some time...I guess around 50% of my games are with him.
The one thing I have learnt is to ALWAYS get the blue buff before laning with a teammate. Once the game starts, grab a doran's shield and a health/mana pot and level up your Jack in the Box. Run towards the golem spawning place and place your first JitB. Remember to always hide in the bush (the opposing team may be about to gank you) and keep all of you JitB at EXACTLY where the golem spawns. You can place them in the bush as well but if you aren't able to kill the golem before he starts returning to his spawning area then he regains all of his health back. You will be able to place 5 JitB's and 1 more while attacking them. After getting the blue buff go to the closest lane and start spamming your JitB for either warding, harassing or farming purposes. Then spam all of your skills, but don't get carried away. The golem buff lasts for quite a short time so make the best use of it.
Getting sunfires on Shaco isn't a bad idea either. Extra dmg, defence and faster farm. My normal build is berserker's greaves, sunfire, sunfire (opt. depending on situation and farming capabilities), last whisper, infinity edge and bloodthirster.