Why does mid have to be an ap caster?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rinric

10-27-2012

here is my thoughts on this, why is mid always an ap caster? Well I found out that there is a lot of possibly viable mid lanes who AREN'T ap. The ones I have played mid with relative success with are Riven and Mundo, thoughts on this?

Best Furry NA

10-27-2012

Used to be AD long ago, but we found AP works better.

Riven could mid but she's much more viable top.

Mundo... No. Just no. Bad idea.

I have heard of Xin Zhao mid before. That's about it.

Edit: Twitch would be a good mid though IMO, if he was really good.

Notdoppler

10-27-2012

I know talon mid is played against certain ap casters, same with on-hit teemo and on rare occasions, ad carries.

deirin

10-27-2012

thing is...if no ap mid u need ap top... if your ad shut down their ap mid think about how hard top gonna be...

Bus Driver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-27-2012

it doesnt have to be.

AskKarthus

10-27-2012

I've seen Wu mid before, Talon counters mids hard, Panth mid is scary, and Jax is somewhat viable mid, but better top.

Fiveofswords

10-27-2012

the reason why mid is often better to have a burst champ is because mid often helps out in other lanes, and burst is hard to handle cause you lsoe a lot of health before you really can react with anything. They get their burst from levels mroe than with items...while ad gets their consistent damage purely with items. So you dont want your ap sharing xp with some other champ.
its not really about them being ap or not, its about them getting their damage from abilities rather than autoattacks, and being bursty, and having pretty good mobility. teamfights for dragon control usually involve the mid, jungler and bot lane, while top is sorta too far away.
its also perfectly good and reasonable to pick to counter their mid...like galio is a strong mid although he shouldnt build for burst damage...he jsut shuts down their ap and keeps them from farming.
something liek mundo would be similar i suppose to the galio pick. Although galio really works better, with his passive he is perfectly designed to be anti-ap

mnun

10-27-2012

What the people above me said. And another factor is survivability, top is the easiest to gank, so get something tanky up there to escape ganks. Mid is by far the hardest of the three lanes, therefore squishy aps with weak/ no escapes, should be played mid

FrT Exa

Recruiter

10-27-2012

Why ap caster has to be mid :

Reason 1

An AP caster uses spells that gets more powerfull as you level up, so the faster you level up, the stronger you get. This is why the caster needs a solo lane

Reason 2

Usually, AP casters don't have escapes, if you have ever played jungle, you probably figured out that it's harder to gank the midlane, because the distance between players and turrets is shorter.

Reason 3

The jungle is helping the caster at the mid lane, it's close to wraiths and blue, the caster can clean wraiths easely with his AOEs and get the blue buff without moving much.

Reason 4

Ganks ! The middle lane is ... well in the middle. So the caster can easely gank, bot or top, help for a drake or catch the enemy jungler in his jungler because the caster is suppose to dominate the early/mid game while enemies are still laning. Casters can also drop enemies quickly with their burst and offer horrible ganks because they often have Crowd Controls

You want to play something else mid?

Condition 1

You have to hard counter the enemy caster, so you can kill him several times and snowball out of control. The best at doing this is currently Talon. You also have to be able to do what a caster would be able to do : dominate early/mid. The risk is that if you don't succeed, the enemy's ap will help his team better, even at equal income. But if you do succeed, the game will be pretty much won as you enter godlike mode.

Condition 2

You have to have magical damage coming from your top or your jungler. If you don't, the enemy team will just be able to stack armor, and become unkillable rapidly.

Condition 3

Your team (or yourself) must have teamfight potential or AOEs and Crowd Controls. Casters can rapidly change a fight by doing a large amount of area damage in a small amount of time AND controlling the enemy team. Not having this advantage will put you behind when the teamfights phase begins.

Conclusion

The AD mid can't be play in every situations, but if it comes out at the right place, it can be devastating and be pretty much a win for you and your team. Overall, the AP mid is safer and more reliable.

ChiSqrd

10-27-2012

^
described it perfectly.

Also Talon is an AD caster so its pretty much the same thing as an AP caster except he scales off AD and deals physical damge.