Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I'm an agnostic atheist; ask me anything!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Horse Sized Duck

11-16-2012

Quote:
Nulliell:
has your religion granted you the power to why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

If I ever join a religion, I'll let you know.

Horse Sized Duck

11-18-2012

bump

DahliaVonV

11-18-2012

I'm satanic, what's up? =)

Horse Sized Duck

11-19-2012

Quote:
DahliaVonV:
I'm satanic, what's up? =)

Nothing much, yourself?

AJ1828

11-19-2012

Quote:
Horse Sized Duck:
Um no, that is not agnostic atheism. Agnostic atheism is "I don't believe in a god, but I don't know if there is one." Gnostic atheism is "I don't believe in god, in fact, I believe there is no god."

Objectively speaking, you admit ignorance on the matter of if a god exists then state that you do not believe in a god. Since you say that you are unsure if one exists shouldn't you keep it at that before saying I don't believe that one exists?

At what point during your ignorance (I use this word for its meaning as lack of knowledge) of a god existing do you start to not believe in a god?

After that point is achieved what keeps you from being gnostic athiest?

Where do you consider yourself on the Dawkin's scale?

Horse Sized Duck

11-21-2012

Quote:
AJ1828:
Objectively speaking, you admit ignorance on the matter of if a god exists then state that you do not believe in a god. Since you say that you are unsure if one exists shouldn't you keep it at that before saying I don't believe that one exists?

At what point during your ignorance (I use this word for its meaning as lack of knowledge) of a god existing do you start to not believe in a god?

After that point is achieved what keeps you from being gnostic athiest?

Where do you consider yourself on the Dawkin's scale?

>Since you say that you are unsure if one exists shouldn't you keep it at that before saying I don't believe one exist?

No. If someone says "do you believe in god" my answer is no, I do not believe. That automatically makes me an atheist.

Dawkins scale is a rather idiotic scale, but I will list it for people who don't know it.

1. Strong theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.

2.De-facto theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
. Weak theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.

4.Pure agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.

5. Weak atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.

6. De-facto atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
S
7. Strong atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

I'd be a de-facto atheist.

TheGoddamnAndrea

11-21-2012

Not my thread, I know, but I gotta say. Why do people seem to think that believing in religion makes them happier? I'm much happier knowing that I won't go to a hell if I don't follow a religious text, that I'm a good person because I want to be, not because some mythical sky-daddy threatens me to be so. I'm much happier being willing to take the blame for my own actions, not avoiding responsibility for failure by saying it's "god's will." I am so much happier not associating myself with religion, which has caused more pain than it's fixed (religious wars, anyone?). I'm happy that I only have one shot at life, because it makes the life I live so much more precious, not some kind of a "test" that decides whether or not I get a Good End or Bad End.

People say atheists are miserable people. I disagree. The happiest people I know in life are non-religious.

Horse Sized Duck

11-22-2012

Quote:
TheGoddamnAndrea:
Not my thread, I know, but I gotta say. Why do people seem to think that believing in religion makes them happier? I'm much happier knowing that I won't go to a hell if I don't follow a religious text, that I'm a good person because I want to be, not because some mythical sky-daddy threatens me to be so. I'm much happier being willing to take the blame for my own actions, not avoiding responsibility for failure by saying it's "god's will." I am so much happier not associating myself with religion, which has caused more pain than it's fixed (religious wars, anyone?). I'm happy that I only have one shot at life, because it makes the life I live so much more precious, not some kind of a "test" that decides whether or not I get a Good End or Bad End.

People say atheists are miserable people. I disagree. The happiest people I know in life are non-religious.

The Santa Clause Effect. Telling a child he will be rewarded for not being bad is the wrong way of going about something. Sure, he may act good (at least, for some time) but he won't know WHY. Instead, tell them to be good for the sake of being good. (rewards may or may not be rewarded though)

Hearthbreak

11-22-2012

Do you drink Dr. Pepper?

Horse Sized Duck

11-22-2012

Quote:
Hearthbreak:
Do you drink Dr. Pepper?

No, not a fan.