Impressions of Elise on Dom

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FOODFOOD

10-29-2012

Has anyone tried out a Xin Zhao type of build on her yet? I'm curious how good she is as a melee AD champ.

Panwar

10-29-2012

I played against an AD Elise last night. I didn't really see what all she bought, but she had triforce. She was a more hardy than other elise' I see, but as Teemo I was whooping up on her all game.

Koravel

10-29-2012

I have the same impression as the OP. Insanely fun, but I'm unsure as to whether she is UP, OP, or balanced.

I built her as a tanky AP- Rylais, Abyssal, etc., if I remember correctly.

Hawkwìng

10-29-2012

I seem to end most of my games with a 1-1 kd ratio, regardless of ap carry build, hybrid, or tanky ap builds. So i seem to be going in, assassinating somebody. and then dying. Some games I go positive, but never to the point where i feel immensely strong.
Iv started leaning towards a hybrid build.

Been building
Sorc boots
Nashors
Gunblade
Guise
Rylais
Deathcap

have not tried a pure ad build yet

Rapid99

10-29-2012

Alrighty then, after playing a whole bunch of Elise on Dominion after her release, I thought I’d share some of my experiences with her. After plenty of pretty-meh experiences and attempted builds, I think I’ve finally found a reliably good base to build on.

First and foremost – itemisation on Elise is weird to say the least. The AP scaling on her Q works both for and against her. Since the ratios scale pretty weakly on % life, even with massive amounts of AP it’s hard to ever get her hitting like a true-blue assassin.

However it’s not all bad. It scales for free as your enemies level up and buy hp items and since its AP ratio is pretty **** anyway this gives Elise the freedom to build other desirable stats like CDR and defensive items to compliment her reliable dmg.

This is one of the reasons I don’t think Sorcerers Shoes are a good choice on her. You usually build Sorcerers Shoes to take advantage of large amounts of Magic Damage early-game before your opponents start building MR, but since Elise doesn’t rely on bringing people from full-to-dead super fast anyway (though she has the potential to against the right match-up) you’re better off building Lucidity Boots and casting your spells more often.

As a side-note I’m also a big fan of defensive boots on melee champs on dominion but since Elise gets to play a bit of the poke / cc game in her human form you can afford to go Ionian boots pretty much every time.

From there I’ve had the most success going a tanky-ap build with a mid-game Void Staff to take advantage of Elise’s main strength. Elise may not blow people to bits like a LeBlanc but since her damage goes up depending on your HP she’s going to hit pretty solid against pretty much every target you go up against. This coupled with items like Rylai’s Crystal Scepter, Frozen Heart and Abyssal Scepter gives a nice mix of damage and utility.

I for one am a big fan of using Frozen Heart to put myself near the CDR cap (and since Physical Damage champs are a common sight on Dom) since ~40% CDR on her spells with Void Staff is all you need to hit pretty decently even without building any big AP items.

I’ve seen a lot of people go bruiser-Elise but I can’t recommend this build. The steroid on her W in spider form may be quite noticeable but it doesn’t bring her damage anywhere near even the most modest of AD fighters brings to the table on dominion. This isn’t even mentioning how a lot of W’s steroid is wasted because of spiderlings glitchy pathing and the spell itself not resetting Elise’s swing-timer.

Perhaps with some quality of life changes AD might be a desirable build path but her low movespeed combined with the various bugs and pathing issues that her spiderlings have really keep the build from shining in my opinion.

Pure AP is equally as lack-luster in my opinion. As much as I would love to go the burst-assassin route with her, Elise just doesn’t scale well enough with AP to render a traditional burst caster route viable.

All-in-all I’d say Elise is a very versatile champion. Her damage remains pretty solid regardless of what you build and what order you build it in and this gives her the freedom to build early defences and hit the CDR cap to get the most mileage out of her free scaling. As long as you keep your magic pen up to par with Void Staff once people begin building MR items you should find her hitting pretty hard.

EDIT: Oh and a quick note on Nashor's Tooth. Attack Speed really isn't that good of a purchase unless you're auto-attacking constantly and since you're not auto-attacking in Human form + pretty average movespeed in Spider Form make it hard to keep constant attacks on target even in the one form you want to attack with... I'd say go the Frozen Heart route if you're looking to hit the CDR cap.

A typical game for me would go something along the lines of:

Boots + Prospectors Ring
Ionian Boots of Lucidity
Rylai’s Crystal Scepter
Frozen Heart
Void Staff
Abyssal Scepter
Deathcap or more defense items depending on how the game is going.

Koravel

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuri Ono View Post
Change in build currently.

Sorcerer's Shoes
Rylai's (Plain Boots then straight into this)
Malady
Abyssal
-VI1-
-VI2-

VI = Variable Item.

What exactly I need for Elise's last two items seems to change so much from game to game. Sometimes it's armor, sometimes it's penetration, sometimes it's more CDR or pure AP. There doesn't seem to be anything 'set' outside of those four items at the moment. With Malady you very nearly hit 2.0 AS when your W is maxed; with no Runes or Masteries to further improve it. The Abyssal feels almost 'core' to me because Elise will almost always need some extra MR; the fact that it helps her and her team's damage doesn't hurt one little bit. To her detriment I think that good Elises vs bad Elises will come down to how well her player can choose their VIs. If you choose the wrong item for the wrong situation then you're not going to be able to pull your weight nearly as well. (You can still contribute to team fights; but your solo fight ability tanks out a bit.)

Having the Black Cleaver was nice but the bonuses it gave didn't seem to outweigh item options that directly countered what was on the field at the time. Especially since, even though the AP ratios and base-value is low, her Spider W with all her spiderlings just seems to shred anyone not packing heavy MR from the bonus Magic Damage. Generally it feels like the ~1.9 AS with W triggered is a happy number for Elise without needing to go higher; but if you need a item that has AS it won't hurt.

Also I've discovered that her skill leveling order seems to benefit from an unorthadox approach. So what it seems to work quite nicely is if I level up the Q to Rank 3 over Levels 4 and 5; then immediately switch over to maxing the W (and R when it pops). Compared to just maxing the W or the Q first this alternate route seems to work better to me for smoothing out her damage.

Additionally I've found sometimes it's best to ignore Elise's design when it comes to squishier opponents like Heimerdinger or Teemo for example. Engaging in the standard tactic of Human Q-W poking for that stronger Spider Q is only going to make you lose due to taking either too much pre-closing damage or being zoned (in the case of Heimer's turrets). For me in those cases, if I think I can kill them, I've been Spider E-ing into close range (by passing turrets, shrooms, ect. that make the poking war against your favor) and letting the W damage do the work; then Q finishing if possible (if not just Human Form over to W and Q). So it is viable under certain circumstances to open a fight in Spider and finish it in Human; despite that being the complete opposite of how Elise was 'designed' to be played.
I think this is pretty much the best post so far on Elise.

This build seems to work rather well.

MMKH

10-29-2012

I've seen her able to burst someone similar to comboing like Jayce but not nearly as retardedly strong.

Hawkwìng

10-29-2012

Damnit, the system made me double post i swear! Its trying to take over, THE SYSTEM IS GONNA CONTROL US ALL!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BLAME THE SYSTEM FOR EVERYTHING AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hawkwìng

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koravel34 View Post
I think this is pretty much the best post so far on Elise.

This build seems to work rather well.
^

Full Brain

10-30-2012

I've been playing her a lot and rushing rabadons and playing her as a slightly tanky mage seems to be the most consistently good way of building her. She scales really slowly like an ad carry though by end game I am a wrecking machine.

Also people need to stop trying to force elise bottom she is not a good to great bottom she is a passable one. In relation to bottom what she is really good at is coming in with a gank and then holding bottom by hiding below the point and comboing up then leaping on a person trying to cap it.