Which of these ideas do you like?

New maps/game styles 17 70.83%
Re-releasing old content 5 20.83%
Achievements 13 54.17%
Summoner Spells 8 33.33%
Custom LoL T-Shirts 5 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

5 Ways to improve League of Legends (very long)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shargun

10-26-2012

Hi, Shargun here. I want to discuss some areas that League of Legends are lacking in slightly and how to help (NOTE: These are my opinions so don't take this as if I think everyone agrees with me because I'd be wrong)

If you don't want to read the whole thing, here are the main changes. I will go over them in this thread in more detail:

1: More maps with more team styles
2: Re-releasing of old/removed content
3: Achievements (I know it's in consideration but I just want to give my 2 cents on it)
4: Summoner Spell issues
5: Special T-Shirts
We'll start with the first point:

POINT 1: People have debated whether having more maps is a good idea or not. People say that summoner rift/twisted treeline over and over again is boring but others say that it is good because of the changing outcomes of the game to provide a sense of uniqueness/originality. What I personally think (I might be wrong, who knows?) that the people who play this game are more inclined with the second point of view (for only needing these 3 maps) but people may get bored of this and might not forward their accounts/stop playing the game. I think the amount of people that would play the game would go up massively if we added more maps, and not just maps, but more teams.

I remember a game I played (it was a flash game but a good one). It had 6 different maps but they were suited to have different team arrangements (i.e. 1v1v1v1 or 2v2v2 or 3v3 etc.). I think it would be good if we had maps that instead of the usual 2 teams, we had maps that support 3 nexuses (or nexii I don't know) or 4 nexuses to make it more interesting. Instead of the usual running at their nexus we have people making alliances that may be broken at the last moment to secure the kill on the epic monster of that map; or more simply people encountering 3/4-group team fights where attack focus becomes increasingly complex. The other good thing about this is it enables people who started playing the game in season 3 time to hone their skills at a rate only slightly slower than that of the level 30s from season 2.

EDIT: People have questioned the authenticity of the competitiveness of these maps and I believe that subject to Riot's opinions these maps might be usable only as blind/draft pick or as both depending on their functionality but we will still have the competitiveness of Summoner's rift and a little on Twisted Treeline. The important thing on the other side of the argument is to understand that League of Legends is a game and it should have game-like qualities, not just puzzle/skill based qualities. They're similar but in the long run pose a big difference.

The game could (it wouldn’t have to be exactly like this) be that you play the game and after one of the nexuses are destroyed, that team has the choice of spectating the match live or leaving to the end-game lobby. There, they can give opponents honours or report them. Eventually, another team might get eliminated and then they could see everything that the previous team said and can give honours or reports etc. until the game ends.
Some possible questions and queries that would rise up:
-What if people use the live spectating mode to help their allies out? They would have to lose the game to do that so they would probably end up feeding to lose the game for them which takes a fair bit of time as well; regardless though, they would get reported for deliberate feeding, and let’s not forget that if you make a premade queue, you can’t actually have friends on an enemy team.
-Should there be new sets of rules (like dominion style) to accompany this type of gaming? Not necessarily however, you could have one big arena map where you all have 1 life and it’s 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 or something like that. It’s all up to what people want as players.
-Should new items/champions accompany the new worlds? I guess that’s up to what riot are capable of doing in the amount of time they have on their plate. Some good things about new champions are themes and new skill sets to conform more easily to a new play style but it might make using old favourites less plausible and would require tonnes of effort on riot’s behalf.

Any questions or comments on that please just comment and I will answer you ASAP.

On to my second point, slightly less work than the first point but still a pretty decent outcome.

POINT 2: We all know that feeling when we find our SNESs or Gamecubes in our attics when we're an adult and we sit there and play it for hours, reliving all the childhood moments. Whilst League of Legends isn't quite old enough to be a part of our childhood (or at least a large part of our existences) it does have content that they can choose to re-release to get a similar effect to that pre mentioned. This is mainly focused on skins but there might be other stuff that I might find at a later date.

RiotGames made a classification system for skins that said when skins were returned to the "vault", they were either legacy or limited edition. Legacy skins are skins that aren't available for purchase but might become available at a later date however limited edition skins won't ever be available. I believe that Riot could make a lot of money and the happy customers (you and me) would be very happy if we could purchase new skins, especially considering their antiquity and excess of availability. Now naturally, people that purchased one of these legacy skins during its availability would feel a bit hostile at the thought of losing the uniqueness of their skin but I think it would be acceptable to say that you purchased the skin understanding it was a legacy skin so it should in essence be alright to have it re-released. You might disagree, just comment below on your opinion.

POINT 3: This is probably my smallest point but it is still pretty good I think. I would like to have some objectives that you could strive for in a game like score a penta-kill or have a K/D/A ratio of 5/1/10 or something like that. Maybe if you scored a penta-kill as a character you could get the achievement and you could unlock that character’s image as a summoner icon. Another idea is to say get 200 (the number is variable) minion kills all from using just 1 basic attack per minion (i.e. last hitting) and you could get the achievement, some IP or RP perhaps and you could feel good about yourself. Finally you might be able to get some RP and a League of Legends summoner icon for unlocking all champions.

If you have any ideas for good achievements to be able to get that won’t hinder the flow/gameplay of the game, feel free to reply and if I’m impressed, I’ll add it onto the previous paragraph.

POINT 4: This one is a really important one, not for making the game more attractive but for easily achieved diversity. I would say that about 70% of people use flash in a game and 50% use ignite (for level 30s)[I do admit to using flash on le blanc and kassadin; it’s just so good]. I also remember that about 90% of level 1s to 10s use heal and that could be taken into consideration to make it more viable.

The thing about flash that makes it so good (as well as ignite) is its versatility. It can be used for supports to escape or land exhaust, it can be used by casters to get that last ability in to finish them off or it can be used by junglers to initiate a supreme gank. Likewise, ignite can finish off enemies so we all can use it in those really fragile situations, regardless of role (except maybe support).

The second argument that arises in regards to summoner spells is just how useful should they be? Should they be little gems that you can use to change a life-or-death situation or should they be little boons to give you a bit of an edge in a tricky situation? It is for that reason that I don’t know whether or not we should nerf flash and ignite (and maybe exhaust, maybe) or if we buff the other spells. I have seen some good promotes, catching people out by destroying the turret by tanking masses of damage alone and dishing out plenty as well, plus it gives supports some cs whilst the AD carry is gone and they’re having trouble last-hitting. It’s hard to say whether or not it’s a matter of the spells are underestimated or they are significantly inferior to flash and ignite. I can’t think of many good buffs for the other spells but here’s a brief synopsis of what we could do:

-Clarity can stay the same. It’s more of a niche pick for people who like a champion but aren’t quite good enough to have mastered the ability to control the ability spamming. Clarity provides good mana per level so I don’t have any quarrels about it not being seen much.

-Clairvoyance is a support spell and it is acceptable that only the support gets it however, even the support doesn’t get it at all before level 30 and I think something should be done to make it more attractive for lower levelled players

- Ghost is a little behind in regards to use. I think it is used by 5-10% of people in games which seems decent in context to the fact that there are 20 slots for a spell every game but there are some things about it that could be a more viable pick over exhaust rather than people always picking exhaust or if they pick ghost, they either play master yi or have flash or exhaust. Just comment below if you think ghost should be better. I think it could give a bonus to tenacity or can stealth you for 1 or 2 seconds (as if you were an actual ghost)

-Heal is too damn good for low level players because it’s always 2 people run at each other and the tryndameres or the yis always end up winning unless they don’t have heal because to the enemy it is practically free time to get more damage in. On the other hand, people in high-level and ranked matches rarely get heal, well, it’s decent but there is a prejudice for getting it (because people are too dumb to figure out you have it and when they put everything on the line, you just heal up and kill them). I think you could make it either an AoE heal around you or a global heal, reducing the heal rate for the global heal. If you made it an AoE heal, you wouldn’t heal yourself and it would become a spell that only support roles used or junglers in a pinch. It would also enable ranked situations more use and less need to only use tanky supports (low Elo bans: Blitz, shen, malphite, alistar, all the time) because instead of trying to avoid low health situations, you can just get out of them more easily.

- Flash. We all know it. It’s that spell that gets you out of 5v1s and guarantees a kill. I would say that its functionality in a fight is of a good standard so I won’t say nerf it to the ground but it might help if we either decreased the distance or increased the cooldown. You can comment on whether you think we should either nerf this one or buff the others.

-Ignite is almost always used for a couple of reasons. It has nice damage in 1v1s that low level players love, it has a heal reduction that low level players love even more and it is viable in almost any role (except maybe support). As a mid, you get it to secure the kill because the lane early game is quite smaller and you have less time/distance to chase the enemy. Bot carries sometimes get it to avoid pesky turret dives and top sometimes gets it for that same reason (some junglers do as well.) I think, like flash you would have to contemplate whether or not you nerf this one or buff the rest. I can’t say how to nerf it other than increase the cooldown because the healing reduction is critical for its use and the damage is fairly low as it is, which is good in the sense it confines it only to life or death situations but the cooldown is too supportive of that as well. The other thing that makes flash, ignite and heal so good in their own ways because they provide obvious ways to define life or death situations, and obtain the best result.

-Promote. It lacks something about its potential turret pushing in standard games that doesn’t make it viable. I can’t figure out a way to assist that at the moment but I think you guys could. Just post a reply. Right now, my only idea is remove it but that seems a bit harsh.

-Garrison is a spell that has lost its purpose in dominion games for whatever reason I don’t know. I am sure some of you use it for the boost when holding your turret or surprising the enemy but because I don’t play much dominion, I don’t know how well its stats correlate.
EDIT: I have talked to people about it and we have assumed it to be underpowered because of the small role turrets play in dominion. If we changed the behaviour of the turrets it might be good but until then we will have to just consider revising the spell effects.

-Revive is tricky as well. Almost no one uses it, even low level games and if you do, you’re considered a feeder. I think the only way to get decent usage of it is to create new gaming styles where people can get quick burst surprises in with it after dying.

- Smite is fine. It is alright as a jungler only spell because it gives it a good purpose in the game.

- Surge is sorta weird, like why give someone attack speed and ability power? It works on hybrids but isn’t viable for many champions. I think they could boost both ability power and attack damage or add a hint of movement speed to it so it creates purpose in games where people don’t just run into each other.

- Teleport, like revive would be much more viable on a different style, like a huge map, rather than a large one like Summoner’s rift. It all ties back to my first idea but it really all takes a lot of time so we’ll just have to wait.

-Cleanse lacks a bit of use for certain roles because they get focused and not others but even people like tryndamere who can dominate with their ult don’t get it to iron out any unwanted creases of using it because it still lacks key elements. I think it should give a 100% boost to tenacity for 2-3 seconds rather than just remove them at one point in time and give a little tenacity afterwards.
If you have any questions or comments that I didn’t specify in this point, you know what to do.

POINT 5: My final point for this, quite simple really, I would like T-Shirts with a league of legends symbol/message like the game’s logo or a picture of the baron etc. and underneath it, you put your Summoner Name so that anyone who sees you in the street can add you on League of Legends if they play it as well. I know that customised T-Shirts are quite hard and Riot don’t directly make their shirts but if they could, it would be massively appreciated.
You can have your say and remark at how short that point was in comparison to the rest of them below.

Thank you for reading my forum or most of it or just the too long, didn’t read part but I appreciate you reading it and giving your input. I really love League of Legends and I created this forum thread so it can get even better and more people will love the game as much as us.

Thanks for your time

Shargun

Prophetic ShadeZ

10-27-2012

i really like the idea of those complex maps but i think riot would have trouble debugging it because of the size and lower level players in these maps might get intimidated

Shargun

10-27-2012

I see the views but you're all so passive. Can you please respond?

Prophetic ShadeZ

10-30-2012

bump

Tengauge12

10-30-2012

I believe the Achievements are a very nice touch.. I have personally been debating on posting the idea myself..

Although, the rest I am afraid would render the game.. The game is based like this for specific reason.. Take CS:S/CS:GO for exmaple.. The reason why they have not changed but the graphics in over 8yrs, is simply because of the game plan it's self.. It's a competitive game..

I understand some people play it for fun, just as-well as those other games, but those individuals don't play it THAT much to worry about needing all this different stuff... Those which whom play it competitively such as myself.. Prefer it to stay like this..

I can ramble on with al ot of reasons, but it's quite simple for those whom are competitive to see why it shouldn't change much...

Shargun

11-01-2012

Well I don't think you will lose the competitiveness with new maps/styles because there will be the summoner's rift ranked gaming and then something like the Zaun horror House map for people looking for something fresh (I just made up that name then). If a map works well anyway, it can become a viable pick for ranked competitions but I don't think making new maps will hinder this. If you want to, you can either designate ranked only maps (I wouldn't like it though) or you can say "these maps are legitimate and of a top design and they are viable in ranked."

I also think that there should be less on the competitive side because there are 29 levels under level 30 but only 1 level 30. People won't be motivated to conquer all 29 other levels just to play ranked Summoner's rift and the reason why we have level 30's today is because we/they viewed summoner's rift, twisted treeline and the crystal scar as gaming zones and not maps where ranked was/wasn't allowed.

I'll finish off by saying that you can have the competitiveness of Summoner's rift and maybe even competitiveness in other maps without having to abandon making new maps because you won't remove anything that made the game competitive and just added things to suit a wider range of people; namely, those that gave up on reaching level 30 out of boredom.

Also, what's CS:S/CS:GO?

Tengauge12

11-01-2012

CS:S = Counter-Strike: Source
CS:GO = Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

The competitive side will drop dramatically, due to the game creating a more just do whatever fun side to it.

Angelas

11-02-2012

Hi Shargun, nice post. I support pretty much all of these ideas, and i just wanted to give my opinion in relation to point 4. I have used Garrison in almost every dominion game, hoping that the fact that no one uses it and that it is exclusive to Dominion might give me an edge. It definitely does not. I can honestly say that, in every Dominion game i have played with Garrison, it has neither saved me from a team killing me under my turret nor slowed an enemy turrets rate of fire enough for me to get the kill (unless I succeeded because of another outside factor besides Garrison, suck as a teammate coming to help). I think it is EXTREMELY under-powered. It was probably overpowered when it was the old Summoners Rift version, but this do-over has completely killed what this spell is about. I think regardless of whether Riot nerfs flash and ignite/buffs every other spell, this one either needs a BIG buff, needs to be returned it to Summoners Rift (as it may become more useful there), or scrap it and put another spell in its place. For instance, maybe a spell that does the opposite of Surge, so reduces the stats of an ENEMY champion temporarily. Yeah, that's it. Great ideas in your post Shargun.

Shargun

11-02-2012

I'll respond to your replies:

Tenguage: I know what you're getting at but the "fun" components could/might be limited to different maps so you still have the competitiveness of a ranked match with certain aspects of "fun" in other maps available for people looking to relax. I will post an official reply to your question in the thread but I would like you as well to acknowledge that League of Legends still is a game and games are about fun. I enjoy the thrill of ranked competitiveness but I want a compromise that I think is achievable and enables greater diversity.

Angelas: Hi Angelas, in dominion, teamfights are a lot faster paced and garrison can be used very intricately in one but in a situation where you're about to jump into a turret dive, even with garrison, it will be a 1 v 1+0.2 or a 1 v 1.2 if you give the turret stats similar to that of a 2nd person and cast garrison on it. Like wise, if 2 people dive you, it is a 2 v 1.8 or something like that.

The other thing that makes it hard to balance is the fact that despite having lots of buffs when you're getting turret dove, they only have to remove the health bar of 1 of the "2" people guarding it because after they slay you, they just right click the turret and suddenly it's useless.

My idea would be to make the turret behave like a summoner's rift turret. In which it won't become inactive as you start capturing it but if you have minions, they can/will take the turret damage, like destroying a turret on Summoner's Rift. Of course that would mean great considerations for point tallying tactics and the strength of Garrison would be further compromised but in the long run I think it would work.

I'll write these considerations in the thread.

19 Lemurs

11-02-2012

I didn't vote because none of the options interested me. I just wanted to chime in on point 4. DO NOT MESS WITH FLASH. That is all, thanks for reading.