Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Rune Field - A 3 Team Map

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Petyr Baelish

10-26-2012

The Institute of War was established to cure Runeterra from the violence that was destroying it. Its champion fighting policy allowed political powers to achieve military victories without further bloodshed. Summoners, tacticians trained in the strategy and dynamics of league battles, controlled champions that willingly fought for the Institute. One team of summoners would be pitted against another to battle for victory, the champions themselves could not die while on the battlefield.

But some disputes are not as simple as two opposing forces. Some wars have more than two armies to account for. Some matters are not black and white, right and wrong. Some battles are won by those who did not fight them.

To resolve these conflicts of three incompatible goals, to account for shades of grey, the Institute of War has opened a new battlefield - The Rune Field. Here three teams will compete to eliminate both oppositions, make an improbable victory against their two enemies. Tactics and diplomacy matter more than ever. Will you turn your opponents against each other? Forge an alliance, then backstab your ally? As the summoner, only you can say.

Map aspects:

3 players on each team.

Three lanes, arranged in a triangle with a nexus at each vertex. Each team has 6 towers and 2 inhibitors, divided between the lanes with two towers guarding the nexus.

A jungle large enough to support two junglers, and keep them on level with the solo lanes as long as they can gank occasionally.

However, there is not enough neutral monster camps to support 3 junglers comfortably. This leaves someone with these options:

1. Duo lane. This is usually done with a carry and a support, but a push/kill lane is also effective against a solo laning enemy.

2. Cross lane. With twice as much XP, the cross lane is an interesting prospect. You will be competing with two other summoners for double CS, and you don't want to push too hard in either direction. And if you get ganked, there are no towers or allies around to help you.

3. Roam. Harass the enemy cross-lane, steal jungle buffs, and gank both allied lanes constantly. On a map with more enemy minions in a smaller area, a skilled assassin can stay on level and help both lanes.

All Chat: There is no way to chat with just one enemy team - it's everyone or just your team. Alliances are expected, but breaking them is encouraged, so be careful about leaving your allied lane undefended. All three teams can make whatever deals they think will make their team win, and break these deals at will. Cunning is an admirable trait, not a reportable offense.

DoT Triple

10-31-2012

Very intresting concept, not sure if having a team leave the game after they lose would be fun though maybe 3 team King of the Hill (So dominion but you gain points) or after a nexus is taken the team to take it gets 2 of the team members and the other team gets 1, this can make alliances more likely to turn on eachother. Just some ideas for you

Petyr Baelish

11-10-2012

If you get to take players, politics fracture - there is an incentive to deceive and this encourages mistrust and dishonesty. Those are not bad in and of themselves, but one does not play a 3 team map so they can 3v6. Also, being randomly stuck on a losing team and being forced to 4v5 is not fun, and players will consider it a waste of time.

The players of a losing team should become spectators, with the opportunity to leave and go into the end-game lobby at any time. This means you have an incentive not to kill an ally you cannot survive without, as there is no difference in reward between second place and third place.

Gradunk

11-13-2012

for map ideas, the biggest help would be a quick sketch of the map idea, with a few details, like a legend. i like the concept, but if it were to be made... where in runeterra would it be? what area would open up?

Petyr Baelish

11-18-2012

@Gradunk - I do not know an amazing amount about Runeterra lore, but somewhere flat and uninhabited. I mean, we wouldn't want to drive people out of their native homelands just so we can fight our wars, right?

Rindin14

11-18-2012

of course we would, were the war mongering summoners right?

Petyr Baelish

11-18-2012

I personally am a friendly summoner, who only plays Lulu and buys all the GP5 items. I don't understand why everyone else tries to kill each other, that is not nice and it is much more fun to be a squirrel.

On a more serious note, no, actually, the Institute of War was designed to promote peace by replacing war on Runeterra with simulated casualty-free battles between summoners, and keeping male adolescents glued to their computer screens instead of joining the army.

On an even more serious note, who are we kidding? Lets kill them all.

Osprii

11-18-2012

Whoa. I like that speech you have at the beginning of the post.

I think this would be awesome. Like me, or like waffles for dinner, or maybe even like a Pumpkin Pie Teemo skin.

Petyr Baelish

11-18-2012

If you write well enough, people will listen.

SephirothWontDie

Recruiter

11-18-2012

love the idea. i would make it less double team though, we dont want people focusing 1 team out within the first 10 minutes, so i say a buff for people being attacked by more than 2 teams. some reduced damage basically, from all forms of it. just, how upsetting would it be to be playing in a 3v6? being the first team out within 5-10 minutes will not be fun, so i think my solution could help it. thougts on this?