Kat builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mclovinme

10-02-2010

So i recently purchased Kat but i really suck with her. it seems all i can really do is go in towards the end of a team fight with shunpo, use my ult and then bounce blades in an attempt to get some kills. (or assists too since they go towards my passive).
my main problem is that im too squishy, ive been buying flat HP runes and quintessances bt still when i get focused im dead in a couple of seconds.

can someone basically layout a nice kat build (in order of what to buy 1st 2nd 3rd etc) for me where i can survive and do damage?

thanks i really appreciate it =)

Kagoura

10-03-2010

Wow, you sound just like I did when I started with Kat, sounds a little hopeless and needy.

I never gave up on her.

I'm the kinda person that goes and goes, and sticks to what I like. I love Kat.

Over 90% of the games I have played have been with Katarina.

I have a lvl 30 account. Over 150 wins normal, about that same amount in losses. Ranked: 200 games, give or take 10 - And these are just the recorded games since Season One opened up, I've been playing since the first couple of weeks in open bata - Where Kat happened to be a free champ; before they changed her - I bought her.

I have done AP. I have done AD. (Both are all right, but neither of them did it for me)

I've gone Cooldown Reduction,... And ArmorPen,... And Health: And they All were just not good enough.

I could feel that Kat was just not being used to the best of her abilities.

So I changed my thinking from her - to The Enemy.

She is a killer. Not a pusher, not a lover, not a helper. She does what she does by killing them all, and anything else she can in each moment.

If she's not making money, she's wasting her time.

I have had 5 pentakills, and far more than enough of the other kinds.
The number of times I have gotten over 20 kills is unthinkable.

*** To be good with Kat, is to understand her. - You can't just have the items.

Now:

Items - I will tell you in what order to get what, and then tell you why you get them.

But first: KNOW THY ENEMY! (See why at the end of this list.)

- Long Sword + 1Hp Pot
- Second Long Sword
= The Brutalizer.
- Boots of Speed, which you can only hope you can buy at the same time as, --->
= Sorcerer's Shoes.
- Ruby Crystal
- Amplifying Tome
= Haunting Guise.
(BREAK FOR SIXTH ITEM - See which one at the end of this list)
- Blasting Wand
- Negatron Cloak
= Abyssal Scepter.
- Brawler's Gloves
= Avarice Blade.
Youmuu's Ghostblade.
- Dagger
= Stinger.
Then get Nashor's Tooth.

Now, by the end of this you will have these five items: Sorcerer's Shoes, Haunting Guise, Abyssal Scepter, Youmuu's Ghostblade, and Nashor's Tooth.

KNOW THY ENEMY - THE BREAK - THE SIXTH ITEM:

Depends on a couple of things:

1) Are you vs more Stunners than anything else?
2) Have you been finding problems with getting focused on, up to getting your Haunting Guise?

---> Then your sixth item is: Banshee's Vail.

But if you've been having little problem with stunners and getting focused to much by The Enemy, and they are mostly AD/Tanks, then go with Rylai's Crystal Scepter for some extra asskicking/live ability and you are GTG (Good To Go).

Now - The WHY of this item list.

Long Swords: They give you AD for early game and help your Bouncing Blades from start to finish. Nothing wrong with more power early game, when all other characters have no real items or defense, and when it helps you get an item that allows you to have +25 AD, Reduced ability Cooldowns by 10% and +15 Armor Pen within the first 5 minutes - it's an awesome first and second item.

(Consumables: I do not count as items, only a cost of money)

Sorcerer's Shoes are for the Magic Pen, the movement is just a bonus.

The Ruby Crystal is for more early game health, which is good!
Amplifying Tome is for your early game Shunpo, which helps you remind The Enemy of what they have to look forwards to.
---> Both good items make a Haunting Guise, which just adds to your Magic Pen & the +20 AP +180 Health is a good bonus.

So far everything makes you more powerful.
At this point you have: + 25 AD, + 20 AP, + 15 Armor Pen, +40 Magic Pen, +180 Health, + 2 Movement, Reduced your Cooldowns by 10%.

Take note: You cannot have more than 50 Magic Pen, BUT The Enemy can have more than 50 Magic Resist. Which made me wonder. I choose to have 40 Magic Pen in items and 10 in runes because as you go through the game The Enemy only ever gains Magic Resist. There is no reason to think that there could EVER be such a thing as "to much Magic Pen", as there are only 2 items that give you Magic Pen right out, 1 that gives you a % of it, and 1 that reduces the Magic Resist of The Enemy.

(I choose not to have The Void Staff do to it only giving a % of Magic Pen and AP, when I can get better.)

MAGIC PEN MAKES YOU KICK ASS, add a bit of AD & AP and you just do more Damage than you would with either as a core.

Now,

Banshee's Vail gives you: +450 Health, +57 Magic Resist, and UNIQUE Passive: Blocks one negative spell every 30 seconds. - Which is really good if The Enemy knows you are a REAL threat, and can stop you.

Rylai's Crystal Scepter gives you: +500 Health, +80 Ability Power, Passive: Dealing spell damage slows the target's movement speed by 35% for 2 seconds (15% for multi-target spells). - Which helps you kick Tank ass and other DPS's and is in no way useless for you, but costs a pretty penny. - You need to work hard for this item to not cripple your building speed, but once you have it - you will smile.

Abyssal Scepter: Remember me telling you about The Enemies Magic Resist? They can have more that you can have Magic Pen - So having this item allows you to reduces the Magic Resist of nearby Enemies by another 20. Your added bonus? +70 AP +57 Magic Resistance, and you get a cute Pink Aura to gush at whilst slaughtering The Enemy.

Avarice Blade helps BB with +12% Critical Strike and gives you a little extra cash while your out running around.

With The Brutalizer and Avarice Blade you can now get (more money towards Nashor's Tooth) Youmuu's Ghostblade. This in and of itself is awesome. Not only does it give MORE: AD(30), Armor Pen(20), Cooldown Reduction(15%) BUT you now have an Active, which allows you to cut down Turrets and Inhibitors in seconds. You gain 20% movement speed and 50% attack speed & ***Attacking enemy UNITS with melee attacks increases the duration by 2 to a maximum of 8 added seconds*** For a max of 11 seconds. With a 60 second cooldown! there is no item better for cutting down towers and The Enemy Town. &&& an added Crit Chance of 15% to boot.

The Stinger, is kind of like a mini version of Youmuu's Ghostblade for you, with +40% Attack Speed and Cooldown reduction of 10%, sets you up for Nashor's Tooth - Assuming you can make another 1325 gold before the game ends - if you haven't already ended it.

Even if The Enemy has a Rummus, Vladimir, Nunu, Gragas, and Alistar or Ezreal, Gangplank, Kayle, Shen, and Sivir - You Are Going To Kick Some ASS!!!

That is WHY you get Sorcerer's Shoes, Haunting Guise, BV or RCS, Abyssal Scepter, Avarice Blad, Youmuu's Ghostblade, and Nashor's Tooth. - To much Magic Pen and everything else for them to handle & you have four other bodies to throw at them too ^_~!

Sometimes the game goes on and OOOOOON - I've seen it, played it, and noticed I rack in hard cash... and wondered what to do with it.

HERE'S WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU HAVE ALL LISTED ITEMS AND 10,000K IN A LOOOOOONG GAME:

Turn Youmuu's into Zhonya's Ring and RCrystalS OR Banshee's into a Phantom Dancer - Then ****ing LOL at the fact that you still have over 3k left ^_^

Secondly, the spell selection:

Exhaust (With 1 mastery point) = Reduces Magic Resist & Armor by 10, Blinds, AND Slows The Enemy for 8 seconds. - The **** you can do with 8 seconds and a weaker Enemy is... sexy.

Ghost (With 1 mastery point) = Movement increases by 33% AND you ignore moving objects for 15.5 seconds. - The **** you can do when you can move from one kill to the next before The Enemy can even realize your in their lane is amazing.

Thirdly, Ability selection:

BB, S, KI, BB, S, DL, S, S, BB, BB, DL, S, BB, KI, KI, DL, KI, KI.

Fourthly, Runes:

Greater MARK of Insight - all 9 slots
Greater SEAL of Fortitude - all 9 slots
Greater GLYPH of Fortitude - 6 slots
Greater GLYPH of Insight - 3 slots
And Greater Quintessences of Fortitude

For a total of 10 Magic Pen and 161.37 Health added to what you start with! 639.37 is better than 478, simple math.
- It's crazy how good an early game Kat is, when she has more power and health then The Enemy is used to.

Screw the health regen. You are in it to the death. If you take out 7 and die once, it was ****ing worth it.

Lastly, your Masteries: Max these out.

22, 0 , 8.

Kat has Deadliness in Crippling abilities, Sorcery, Alacrity, Archaic Knowledge that blasts a Sunder, with Offensive Mastery, in Lethality; raising Havoc, but only when in Good Hands, with Haste, and Awareness.

That is her story. That is Katarina. How she should be played.

Play with her more, and she plays back. And it's so much ****ing fun!

Mclovinme

10-03-2010

dude this helped so much thank you

Carados

10-03-2010

What the **** is this ****

There is no way that is not a joke

Munkey20

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2010

my kat build is sorc boots, then either rylai's crystal staff or randuin's omen depending on the make up of the other team. hextech revolver, zhonya's ring, and the game is usually over by that point. but if it keeps going i get the hextech gunblade and either the void staff or abyssal scepter. usually end with just under 3k hp and decent armor from the omen.

for runes i do magic pen, hp regen, and cd reduction. 30 magic pen is enough to get thru most champs resistance since most people don't care about MR until its too late. i tried stacking hp runes for alittle while but switched to regen because it gave me more long term staying power vs an extra second in a team fight. and cd reduction is explains itself since she only relies on her cooldowns to deal damage. Quints are up to you are your play style. Do you feel like you want another 6 magic pen? Another 4.5% off your cooldowns? An extra 15 regen or more gold at a time. just pick one and try it out. Personally I go for the things you can't get with other runes like MS or gold, or just get the extra cooldowns.

if you are just stomping the other team and they can't do much damage to you anyway i switch the randuin's for nashor's tooth for the extra AP and cd reduction.

Spells to use, I stick with exhaust and ignite. the extra damage from ignite is always useful while chasing and exhaust can both get you a kill and be a life saving against a fast attack that gets up close to you. you can use ghost too, but personally I get more use out of exhaust.

As for masteries, you want to be very offensive. this is my build:
http://www.fieldsofjustice.com/maste...wHuZalyPqZyaey
Extra damage, improved exhaust and ignite, more CD reduction, and a little more penetration from offensive. More hp regen, exp, and money in misc.

As I level up I focus on shunpo and KI because you want your nuke to get maxed out quickly and the damage reduction is very helpful. My build is:

Shunpo
BB
KI
Shunpo
Shunpo
Death Lotus
KI
Shunpo
KI
Shunpo
Death Lotus
KI
KI
BB
BB
Death Lotus
BB
BB

This way I have BB if I need some extra damage, harass someone or need to last hit something while shunpo is on CD, but I don't rely on it at all. Your focus is to initiate 1v1 with shunpo, exhaust and ignite and hit Death Lotus, by the team DL ends, you can usually shunpo again if needed and throw a BB and auto attack some if they are still alive. In a team fight it works the same way you just have to worry about more people. Beware of anyone with an ability that can end you ult and try to get them to use it before you ult.

the way i play focuses solely on being able to shunpo into a fight for 600 damage and kill 3 people by the time death lotus ends. BB is good at farming, but leave it for minions unless you are chasing for a kill. Hybrid builds tend to be garbage because kat is played best when she is focused on one thing. Either go AD or AP, and in my opinion AD isn't near as useful as AP due to nuking ability and better conversion on death lotus. with this set up you can death lotus every 45 seconds, so in a team fight you kill 3 people are death lotus again if they haven't run away yet. with nashor it drops the CD to about 40 seconds, but you are also giving up survivability. early in the game you need hp regen so you aren't constantly having to port back to base to get more health. with full yellows of hp regen you will be able to hang around long and take a few extra hits as well as be able to dish them out while the other guy gets scared and runs back to the fountain. In the right hands kat can be a devastating addition to a team, but some people still think she really blows from back when she did suck. Use that against them if they are pushing against you, don't be scared to be aggressive and stand against them while using KI and shunpo to reduce your damage taken. Early game some players tend to get freaked out if someone doesn't run away when they attack, and them being sloppy is a huge advantage to you as kat. if you see them hanging back as a melee don't be scared to shunpo to them and hit them with BB then back off. it is a good way to gain ground on your side.

Kat is a high risk high reward champ and should be played as such. Be defensive only when you need to but do your best to always harass the enemy and keep them on edge.

Carados

10-03-2010

Holy **** what? Are you guys serious?

Zeryth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
yes they are

Carados

10-03-2010

*Adds Kat to the list of champions pubbies can't build*

Munkey20

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
why do you keep asking that? He asked a question, we answered him with our opinions. Why do you keep asking if we are serious? Should we have included a TLDR for people that actually didn't care about what we posted? Or are what we posted just too complicated for you to understand?

madstermind

10-03-2010

Attack speed Kat... wow...

I really don't know what to say. That was not the build meant for Kat. You might as well build tank Yi for all it's worth. All you are meant to do is to maximize the damage your ult does, and that is by going either pure AD or AP. If you find that you can't survive, build either a banshee's veil or randuins omen (or both) early before mass AP (Zhonyas + Void Staff + Rylais) or AD (BF swords -> Thirsters). If you still can't pull it off, Kat is not the character for you.