Summoner Spells

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dune1008

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

These are just the thoughts I've been having about the state of SS right now. There's a TL;DR at the bottom if you wanna dodge the wall of text.

So I'm sure we've all noticed, probably also those at riot, that summoner spells don't see a lot of diversity in play. It's common to see 6/10 people in a game to be running Flash/Ignite. And as for those that aren't, the remaining slots are taken by a pair of smites, a few exhausts, and the odd heal/cleanse/teleport. Revive, Surge, Clarity, and Promote all see limited use, and are in fact selected by players in an attempt to make their teammates dodge games in champion select. That right there should raise some flags: there are options that you can pick, that are considered to lose the game before it starts.
I understand that some work has been done in an effort to make the less popular spells more viable, and I do appreciate it. Nerfing flash made people start using ghost at all, and rather frequently, but they have since gone back to almost exclusively using flash. Why? It was just made worse, right?
The problem here is that Flash and Ghost are both competing for the same role, the role of your "movement" spell, be it for moving in or out. The problem is that in both situations, Flash has an extremely large fundamental advantage: it can get you over walls and Ghost can't. There is no number you can increase the Flash cooldown to, or decrease the Ghost cooldown to, that will change this.
As for the other spells, they suffer from various problems of their own. Revive, while effective, rarely changes the flow of a teamfight as the revived individual will most likely not get to the fight on time. This puts a serious damper on the desire to use it, along with the massive cooldown.
Surge looks nice on paper, but in practice it's a sloppy spell. How many characters have the sudden need for attack speed and ability power? A few, but those same characters would generally better benefit from having a flash to get in their range, an exhaust to keep the opponent their, or an ignite to finish them entirely. Its use just ends up feeling clumsy and awkward.
Clarity is nifty. The few people who take it tend to make good use of it. But there we have it... the "few people." It doesn't particularly benefit the large majority of players/characters.
Promote... Promote. Everyone's big beef with this spell is, that you actually have to use up a summoner spell slot, for something that basically doesn't help. In my opinion a spell of this sort, that can only even be used when you have a cannon minion wave, should create a much more powerful result. Choosing Promote over another spell should, in my eyes, be a near-guarantee of taking your tier 1 turret by the 15 minute mark. Your opponents in lane should be fighting hard to have to kill the minion off, not laughing at your poor choice. This spell proves underwhelming in both early and late game settings. From what I hear it used to be an extremely overpowering spell to stack on a team, but since the number of times it can be spammed in one lane is now limited, I believe this spell could use some love.

Alright so after all that complaining, here are my thoughts on how we solve the problems...
Ghost should not be in "competition" with flash. It will fundamentally lose. It needs to provide a different service.
Surge is awkward and doesn't fill a role very well. It should be exactly its name, a "Surge" of power, that is useful to more champions then just Chogath, Fizz, and Shen.
Clarity isn't useful to enough champions, it needs to be useful for more.
Revive has a massive cooldown for its unfortunately lackluster effect. Keep the cooldown, change the method of delivery.
Promote just isn't good enough.

TL;DR
Ghost: Now additionally provides 30% attack speed when activated.
Surge: No longer provides attack speed. Buffs ability power by 6 + (lvl x 4) and attack damage by 4 + (lvl x 2.5)
Clarity: Now additionally refills 100 Energy to Energy based champions.
Revive: Now instead places a buff on your character for 5 seconds, "Saving Grace". If the champion dies while under the effects, they will revive at 50% health.
Promote: Increase the combat effectiveness of the siege minion. Give it better resistance to AoE spells, an AoE to its basic attack, and maybe buff its stats a bit. This spell needs some serious love y'all.

Yordle Swordler

11-19-2012

I added your Revive idea to this thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...+spell+what+if

Golbat

11-19-2012

ok then revive and flash becomes new ss.... everything revolves around flash my friend the instant mobility.. and that revive is kinda op

Exxem

11-19-2012

free Zil ult every 2.5 minutes, ON EVERYONE. THEN GA. THEN YORICK ULTS YOU. After, of course, the ACTUAL ZIL ULTS YOU TOO.

I could see it.