Meta Sheep? Meta Hipsters!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fiveofswords

10-26-2012

outright refusing to follow the meta doesnt hamper your teamates enjoyment any mroe than intentionally feeding does. they are both obviously ways of playing that sabatoge your own chance of winning

Maugrymm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

Pogo, I agree with you entirely. I've been following quite a few of your posts today, and I can tell EXACTLY why you posted this thread. Meta Hipsters. They exist.

Nishaven90

10-27-2012

Agree completely. Apparently people are now supposed to be superior players if they don't follow the meta.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-27-2012

Warning, all of interesting read incoming

Honestly i think Metasheeps are different than Meta believers, i don't have any problems with the second, it's a legit way of thinking since they follow guidelines but still try to contribute with new effective strategies, for once a Metasheep will try to force the Meta from a previous tournament even if it's outdated i was raged at and trolled for Playing Orianna before the championship which i found to be an useful pick, after the championship? everyone isntalock and then fails at Orianna or if i pick another mid they are like Nuuuuuuu, Pick Orianna, honestly Most metasheeps will follow to the line whatever pros say in video ranging from anywhere to 2 months to a years of old when what the pro says in the video may as well be outdated and no longer hold true, theya re the same kind of people that opens a guide just look at the skill order then look at the build and think that's the build order for every situation and end up for example stacking armor on a tank when the enemy ads are underfed and the enemy magic damage dealers are killing the whole team then rage at their team for getting Mr instead the proper build order for their champions.

what i don't like about Metasheeps is that they will always follow and try to force an outdated Meta while ignoring strategies to win, i'm a strong believer that if It wins you the game thenn you possibly have your next contribution to the Meta, Malphite and Leona are a good example, when Leona was released she was a "troll" tank pick then europeans started running her as a support and here we have her as one of the strongest supports on the current Meta.

this article is froma Meta believer, it is outdated but it's what Lead to the rampage that was Ap solotop Nunu back in July,a s you can see he's a Meta believer and takes the MEta on consideration as a guide but doesn't think that he can Wiin by just following guidelines and tries to see what character can fit in the current meta ,
http://mogwaismusings.wordpress.com/...solo-top-nunu/

Espy Psyche

10-27-2012

Here's the thing also: what works in tournament level play doesn't always work in ELO Hell and vice versa.

In tournament level play, every single player is the best of the best. Whether they're on CLG, Azubu Frost, Moscow Five, or Taipei Assassins, they are all masters of practically every champion in the game and every facet of the game. They all know exactly how far 1000 is, they all know where to place wards to grant the most vision in the jungle, and they all use either Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Raidcall or some similar program. They know every jungler's route through the jungle and where they should be at any given time. They know every skill of every champion and exactly how they all work.

In ELO Hell, nobody uses voice chat, very few wards are placed, and players often misjudge the range or radius of skillshots. They don't know where the jungler will be, they don't know how Diana's E or Skarner's R or Miss Fortune's Q work, and they don't know which items they should build. They don't know how to counterpick, ward, tank, or focus carries. What this creates:

- Places that are warded in tournaments aren't warded at low levels. Thus, 5-man brush ganks can work at low levels but tournament players will see them and push somewhere else or kill Baron Nashor.

- In tournaments, assassins are more skilled and can get past the tanks more easily to dive the carries. Thus, in tournaments carries who are either tankier (Graves) or can deal their damage from longer range (Ezreal, Corki) are stronger than squishy carries who need to get closer (Ashe, Sivir).

- In tournaments, mages are better at hitting their skillshots and predicting enemy movement. Thus, the Lux you're chasing at low level might miss snares and slows and thus you catch and kill her, while the tournament Lux doesn't miss and you can't catch her. Against the ELO Hell Lux you might also get ganked by her team, while in tournament the entire jungle's warded so you can see them coming.

- In tournaments, kill counts drop off drastically compared to ELO Hell. Nobody dies in tournament play, and so "fed" takes on a different meaning. In ELO Hell, you're not fed till you're 5-0 or better. In a tournament, 1-0 is fed. Tournament players are also a lot closer in skill level, so 1-0 is a bigger advantage at high level than it is at low level.

KnightxSScarlett

10-27-2012

I have no problem playing by the meta. I have a problem with people insisting that it's the only way to win, so if you try something unconventional you are immediately labeled as a troll. Now, I do troll quite frequently with my AP Teemo top. But people need to realize that if you're trying something unconventional, you probably have a good idea of how it works, and that you've already practiced it.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy Psyche View Post
Here's the thing also: what works in tournament level play doesn't always work in ELO Hell and vice versa.
These are all accurate reasons to say "Hey, hold on. The meta isn't ALWAYS the best strategy."

And I full-heartedly agree. I'm okay with not playing meta every match. This thread isn't targeted at people who understand why the meta works and why or when it may not.

This thread is targeted at people who absolutely refuse to play the meta no matter what because of this idea that the only people who play the meta are "sheep."

It doesn't ALWAYS work. You're right. But there is a reason it's the meta: it works.

Fiveofswords

10-27-2012

nobody ever plays a perfect game, including top levels. The meta is still forgiving to plenty of individual mistakes. I really dont see why the meta wouldnt work in elo hell..and i also think it might as well be used if you want to improve. What i see a lot in elo hell is teams jsut dont know how to abuse a temproary advantage...they jsut keep farming or something...and so they eventually lose the advantage. Thats not really an issue with the meta is jsut people not working together and takign objectives etc. For example, 9/10 games i play when im jungling in elo hell, i solo the dragon like 15 minutes into the game...and nobody tries to stop me and nobody helps me, and its the first time the dragon dies. And maybe i wouldnt try risking that if i thought the other team warded or would even try to react....but thats just an individual decision based on how peole play at that elo and its not very affected by the meta.
teemo isnt a bad top. AP teemo top doesnt violate the meta at all. PLaying rarely used champions isnt against the meta at all. The meta is not about individual champion picks
I tihnk its great to have new ideas and try them out. But i think you should do that on your own team of 5. I dont want to solo queue and see some crazy stuff where i dont even know what my role is and how i should play, and there isnt goign to be time to explain your idea to me. SO im not even going to try and i wont play well. If you are playing with stragers, jsut do standard stuff please.

KnightxSScarlett

10-27-2012

No one's trying new stuff with strangers. They're playing things that they've practiced and seen work that are unconventional with strangers.

And when I play AP Teemo, it IS trolling.

Fiveofswords

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageinta Warrior View Post
No one's trying new stuff with strangers. They're playing things that they've practiced and seen work that are unconventional with strangers.

And when I play AP Teemo, it IS trolling.
trolling doesnt mean violating the meta. ad brand is trolling,but as long as he goes bot, meta is working fine.