Meta Sheep? Meta Hipsters!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-26-2012

Now, don't get me wrong... there are definitely "meta sheep." These are people who refuse to try anything other than a very strict example of the meta that the pros use in the tournaments riot streams. This strictness even goes to the extent of "No, don't pick Ashe. That's not a viable ADC. You can only use Ezreal, Graves, Corki."

But with that said, I'm coining a new phrase today.

Meta hipsters
You know them. They're all over the forums. They think that just because you're intelligent enough to recognize the strengths of the current meta and understand why it is what it is, that you're some sort of sheep blindly following what you read in some strategy guide just because everyone else is doing it.

Again, like I said, there are meta-sheep. There are people who don't understand the meta and only follow it because that's what the pros do. But there is a reason why the pros use the strategy they use. If you understand the meta, then you also know there's literally no importance in sticking purely to the exact formula of the meta.

But the meta still is the meta, and it is the best general strategy for winning matches. Generally following the principals of the meta doesn't make me a sheep. It makes me a player that wants to win.

REFUSING to play in the meta doesn't make you more intelligent than people who play in the meta. It doesn't make it cool or hip. And yea, you can win with alternate strategies. I'm not saying that's not possible, and I'm not saying I'm refusing to play with alternate strategies. But just as there are people who are meta sheep, there are also meta hipsters, who for whatever reason, hate the meta and think anyone who plays the meta is an idiot.

Well, I've got news for you folk. As dumb as the people are who blindly follow the meta for no reason other than that's what the pros do, people who blindly refuse to play in the meta simply because that's what all the sheep do are equally ignorant.

Capitol12

10-26-2012

Bump for truth

SuperSayajinSwag

10-26-2012

I like this post... But... I dont want to be referred to as a hipster... But that's mostly just because of the stigma of the word. But i do agree... 100%.

Fiveofswords

10-26-2012

actually people blindy dismissing the pros are somewhat mroe ignorant...because at least its reasonable to presume that the pros are doing sometihng because it does work. Thats why you would bother to examine the meta and figure out why it works and how to support it.

The people assuming that the meta is bad are just insanely narcissistic...as if they must know better before they even understand what they are protesting against, and before they even learn basic mechanics. Its also very narrow minded to dismiss an idea purely because it happens to be popular.

having new ideas is great...creativity is a good thing. But arbitrary random **** that rebels against the meta for the sake of rebellign against the meta... is not creative...its jsut rubbish. If you want to be creative...at least address real things and find something thats actually reasonable and at least interesting.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-26-2012

Yea, 5.

They probably are more ignorant... I was just trying to be at least somewhat nice to them, since the whole point of this thread is already to call them out...

t0ad5

10-26-2012

Thing is, meta gives people some idea of what to expect at champ select: a tried and true method of building a standard team. Far too often it is hard to even get past this point without losing the game.

In a random group of 5, doing something other than what is expected is likely to lead to arguments, mispicks, whatever - or, at least in "elo fail" where most people don't seem to understand the game in the first place.

Good post.

Vantooth

10-26-2012

Please be sure to read the whole post.

In fact, I dislike the meta, I cannot stand it anymore. Playing 10 game and seeing the 15 same champion, it's not for me since I usually try not to play more than twice with the same champ in my team... That's why I do not play anymore 5v5's, I personally cannot stand the monotonous side of the meta, I'd like sometime to have 2 top 1 mid 2 bot in a level 30 game or 2 jungle or 3 mid (those are quick example that I just came up with). Not as a troll, but to find new playable and fun style. Nothing is set in stone. And, even I wouldn't try those in a ranked game.

Afterward, I completely understand that some people live by the meta because it is proven to be strong. I do not deny that you can have a lot of fun a meta game. Simply, if everyone call a role and lock in while you end up a role you can't play and no one want to trade, but if you choose something else everyone will blame you.

What I'm trying to say is meta isn't a written path, it is a suggestion. Don't be a sheep, and don't be a hater (be it hating the meta or other play style). Play by your own rules.

Levigasm

10-26-2012

The meta can be broken so easily its pathetic

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK Tizoxic View Post
The meta can be broken so easily its pathetic
All you're going to do by "breaking the meta" is create a new meta (if you're right about how easy it is to break).

If you've got some other strategy that consistently beats the current meta, it will eventually get popular and become the new meta. I mean, that's all there is to it.

As Fiveofswords points out, there's a good reason the best of the best of the best use this strategy. And it's not because they're sheep. It's because there's a million dollars on the line and this is the best way to win it right now.

Snowfox86

10-26-2012

Did you... Get in an argument or something? This seemed kinda random. Following and learning any sort of meta is a good tool to learning how the game is played. Take starcraft 2 for example. Learning build orders and strategies that are currently popular is a great way for a newcomer to learn the ropes. You learn the build, get comfortable with it, and then eventually once you get good enough at it (and the game) you will start thinking. "Well.. This part of the build to me seems weak.. So I'm going to do this to change it and make it more secure."

Of course there are people who indeed follow that meta and learn that build blindly. Building things they don't need just because it was built at such and such time, even though they know the enemy already has the counter to it built. These people might still be in that learning phase where they don't see the viability of the strategy just yet or they simply refuse to wander off the path.

Is following the meta bad? No... Well besides champion popularity, that kind of bothers me. I don't care if you think Sejauni is a **** champ. I happen to like her and do decently well with her k thanks! But just as Vantooth said. It's a suggestion. A guideline.

Is outright refusing to follow it bad? Well.. That depends. Just as long as you're not hurting the game for others then I don't see what the issue is. If you want to be creative and win with a different approach, by all means! Who knows, maybe your strategy will become the new meta

Do either side deserve to be called sheep or hipsters? What is it with society and the need to label everything? >_>