Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Understanding the Tribunal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unwarranted

08-01-2014

this new Tribunal is a dam joke ive played 40 games and never use chat but some kid raged on me and I got a ban for 12 days wow 1st time and they don't even tell you why? how is that right all I did was tell the guy to shut up and leave if hes going to troll and rage and you get bans dam games not even worth playing when trolls can report you and get you banned!

Warrior Phoenix1

08-06-2014

I just recently became level 20 and found out about this Tribunal System even more so and now I want a case. So my question is should I check everyday to see if I have a case? Or is there some annual case dispensing time period in which cases will be given out?

CaucasianSanta

08-18-2014

Quote:
Lyte:
Lately, I've been receiving a lot of e-mails about the same questions and complaints about the Tribunal. I'm working with WookieCookie, RiotSeb and statuskwoh to add these to the Tribunal FAQs but we would love to discuss them here first.

1) What's the point of having a language filter if I can get banned for 'adult' language?
a) We aren't out to punish players who use adult language; in fact, very few players are ever banned for saying stuff like "f***, I missed that skill shot" or "damn, f***ing close game!" However, the language filter is not an excuse to verbally abuse someone in the game. When you verbally abuse or harass someone by calling them "f***ing ******" or "n*gger noob", that's when you've crossed the line and will be punished by the Tribunal. I've said this before and I'll say it again, we aren't trying to clean online games of adult language; we're trying to reform or get rid of jerks who like to verbally abuse and harass other players.

2) I only have 1 bad game in my Tribunal Reform Card, why am I banned???
a) The Tribunal verdict is not based on a 'majority' rule; there is also no requirement that all games have to be toxic for it to warrant a suspension. Depending on the case, sometimes 1 game is all that is needed to show that the player deserves a suspension. To Tribunal reviewers, decisions like these are up to you. When you view a Tribunal case, the questions you should ask yourselves are, "Is this player's behavior appropriate in League of Legends?" and "Would I want to play with this player?"

3) This player should have been banned, but he was pardoned. The Tribunal is broken!
a) The Tribunal was inspired by 'crowdsourcing' research. When I was still a student, I worked with labs that developed games such as "Foldit" that took advantage of crowdsourcing to find solutions to extremely tricky tasks--when you read this research you truly appreciate how accurate crowdsourcing systems can be. In fact, the Tribunal is far more accurate than traditional Player Support.

However, the Tribunal isn't perfect. The design is based on statistical probability and random sampling and every system like this has outliers. This means that sometimes, a player has an egregious Tribunal case but is still pardoned because he happened to get a lenient set of voters; however, if the player is truly toxic, he actually is re-sent back to the Tribunal in a handful of games and is usually accurately punished in his second visit to the Tribunal.

Because the Tribunal is designed to identify frequency and consistency of toxic behavior, this is why it doesn't take into account the severity of the offense. If a player is extremely toxic he will quickly get banned multiple times by the Tribunal until he is permabanned; in fact, extremely toxic players end up permabanned significantly faster than players who are 'less severe.' In the future, we may want to brainstorm ways to improve on the Tribunal so that it does take into account severity and adjusts punishments accordingly... but we're not there yet.

4) That player in my game was far worse than me. Why am I banned???
a) I'll keep this one simple: retaliation isn't OK. Reacting to a toxic player by being toxic just incites that player to be even worse--it also ruins the game for up to 8 other players. It is far, far worse to watch two people yelling at each other all game than it is to watch 1 player ranting into blank space. Almost everyone in the game can find someone out there that behaves worse than they do--but so what? Finding someone worse doesn't justify your behavior or justify retaliation. We expect more out of our players. What players often don't realize is... those other players in your game that you thought were worse? Nearly 100% of the time, those players were banned even before you were. If someone is being toxic, just report them and move on. If you retaliate, both of you will be banned. It's really that simple.

5) Low skill players should be banned from the game! The Tribunal should only ban Leavers/AFK and intentional feeders, those are the only types of players that really ruin games!
a) No. Just no. Jerks ruin games. League of Legends is for everyone whether they are 500 Elo or 2500 Elo. It's not a game for jerks.

Hello,
I want to start off by first asking why the sudden rise in bans and first time bans being two weeks?
I've only started and just bought a jungling champion I love! I've been asking teammates and even enemy team to teach me to Maokai better but that night that I bought Maokai, I got banned for two weeks and I don't know why. My friends who have played months longer than I, they say that they've received chat bans 1 or 2 day bans but they think that a 2 week ban for first offense is offensive. Also I do not know what I was banned for, I've posted on other threads asking why and also sent a ticket with no response to my expense. I've also checked my email to my avail, nothing. I rarely talk in games sometimes I say "please go drag with me" or "now's a good time to baron" or "even good job wp" but never have I been extremely toxic. Yes I get mad some games if we are losing and will type in chat "goddamnit" or "Why would you do that!" but never have I put my teammates down I always believe in comebacks due to teamwork and support because I've had it happen to me. I'm also not a hacker so can't ban me there either. Another question I have for you is this a glitch in the system or are you going on a power run banning accounts and just not caring if it was absolutely necessary? Do you ask if yourself when you ban people is this going to make the community a better place? Because without me I believe the community is a worse place to play. I've raised toxic players to a good mood and made the enemy team like me even when I'm whipping them but yet I deserve this ban and for what? I was going to spend a lot of money this upcoming sugar rush week in support for Riot and I truly was going to mystery gift almost all of it to friends because I saw it was double the chance of getting a legendary skin and I felt like being nice, I have $50 put away already for the week and am building more, I do have a job but do not wish to spend it all. I don't know if I should do that now because it seems there is a serious flaw that needs to be addressed in League of Legends and if this is how you treat your honest, good heated customers I do not want to support that type of behavior nor do I want to be apart of it. My last question for you is will you find a way to change my mind, influence me to influence others, and prevent me from quitting league because if my ban is not resolved I will not support the actions that Riot has undergone. I don't think these unjustly punishments should have ever happened in the first place, yes a lot of people probably needed a wake up call I've met these type of people in games but banning the people that help the community for no reason seems like a serious offense to us, we are real people not objects, we are paying customers supporting you not people looking to bully people around over the internet, we are good people, I for one are one the more calm and collective people that I've seen and I hope on my behalf I can represent the other's that feel my pain, that feel alone, that haven't been helped and that have gained no real genuine response to why their time has been wasted. Thank you for reading and taking into consideration if you have. That goes for anyone.
The one of many that's feels wronged and alone.
-CaucasianSanta

Axohur

08-19-2014

I agree. Punishing people who don't say anything in chat or try to suggest ways to improve the way to use certain champs is wrongful sentencing. When you have players that act like jerks pre-game and in the middle of the game after trying to help them or offering advice then seeing them again in another match wondering why they were not punished is absurd. If they don't wish to contribute to trying to win or work as a team they shouldn't be playing in a game that involves teamwork. I've had many games where a jungler has said "I'm not ganking your lane." For no justifiable reason or just stayed in the jungle and farmed without ever ganking any lanes.

Then there is the people who believe that just because they are Gold, Platinum or Diamond ranked they can say anything they want and not get punished. I had a Platinum ranked player tell me to, "Go kill myself and stab myself." I don't know if he's banned or not but just that should be the reason for him to be permabanned or lose his rank. I can expect stuff like that from Bronze and Silver some Golds (It doesn't make it anymore right.) but if anything players in high ranks should be trying to set an example for the lower ranks and that is the wrong example. If you have to go into a team game where you have to mute all of your teammates because they like to talk a bunch of **** or abuse you and each other then the whole match is thrown because people like that are still able to play without punishment.

Yes, even I get angry at games and teammates but rarely do I go into the chat to flame them for being a troll or just coming off as a jerk to everyone. If everyone is telling you the same thing that you should do to benefit the team, you should listen, don't mute everyone and don't say "I do what I want" (I've had that too.) Which brings me to the next thing Refusing to Communicate with Team. That should be changed to Refusing to Cooperate with Team because just like the jungler who doesn't want to gank or the adc who only wants to farm after everyone is saying we're going bot, mid, or top is just as bad. If you can't play as a team, you will definitely lose as a team. (This goes for those people who like to whine about someone taking a lane they wanted and decide to troll because they couldn't get their pick. In pick order all of that goes out of the window and if it's because you don't know any other lanes you really shouldn't be playing ranked in the first place, because it's bound to happen.)

CaucasianSanta

08-24-2014

I posted before a couple of posts up about my situation and I have received no recognition and no feedback via email or on here. I'd appreciate if you would at least inform me of why I am banned unless you have no legitimate reason to ban me. You can post it on here so people can see what I have done because I feel I've done nothing wrong.... (I never type in chat) or via email if that's more convenient for you.
Here's my email
[email]chancewingmcgrath@gmail.com[/email]
Please Respond,
-CaucasianSanta

LeagueOfRetards

09-06-2014

I am not sure if this is the right category but I just played with LanouQc and he was yasuo. yasuo finished the game 47/16 with 360 farm. our entire team saw his build with 0 crit chance yet was critting 100% with statik procs. All he had was 5% in his runes. He built pickaxe > vamp scepter > pickaxe x2 > cutlass > blade of the runed king > GA > Last whisper > berserker greaves. sold the greaves bought a zephyr and a spirit visage but the entire game was critting 100% with a statick and infinity. End game he had a GA, Bork, Spirit visage, LW, Zephyr, and a pickaxe. I have never been so convinced someone was hacking until today. Yet game ends and he has all of the items magically. Please help and do something because thats bull

Euphoria Rev

09-06-2014

How would you go about reporting forum members?

Alcionne

09-11-2014

your tribunal sucks, and youre the first reason about people gettin banned, if you dont want people harrasing another people, just dont make the filter chat customizable, and enable filter language for everyone without the option of shut down it.
Second, league of legends is for everyone, its ok, but most of the people raging are for people that literally have 0 idea on what to do in a game, feeders and people afk are less punished than people that rage in a game, and you KNOW THAT MAN!! they only say " everybody have a bad game" " my pc shut down" and still they go safe to feed and ruin another game and theyre not even punished, cause your ****in tribunal is a bad joke.
You really need to put an option to disable the full chat in game, youre givin the tools to the people to rage , or been banned, and thats a nasty game or strategy of riot, and you should know that!!!and finally, next time dont post **** like "we are not making the chat logs public" and then you have a bunch of " smart" riot guys posting the chat logs, when you easy can send the chat logs to the support tickets .

I got punished with 60 chat bans for the games that the "smart" wookiecookie posted in my thread, and after that bans, i NEVER raged again, and now i got repunished?...no man your tribunal sucks is a bad joke and this game is not more "turning into a " this game is a real **** right now, cause youre useless administrating your famous "justice"

stingycobra

09-23-2014

@MLGDougie
"The very first thing said in this thread is that the Tribunal isn't out to restrict bad language but to ban bad language TOWARDS other players, yet i have been restricted 3 times without any foul language toward other summoners, this system is either broken or the people using the tribunal are incorrect or the statement about foul language said in this thread is a lie. This problem has been annoying me now for the past month or so and I've never had a problem before now and I've been playing since season one on my main."

I believe the tribunal is just another way for riot to generate income i have watched many streamers get chat restricted after playing games where they hardly ever typed to their team or the opposing team and if they did say something it was nothing harmful or foul. Even I from time to time get warnings about verbal harassment after a game that i said nothing in. I love the /mute all command it helps me concentrate on they game rather than my teammates bashing one another or myself.

MONSTER ZER0

10-02-2014

having a tribunal is more expensive? so that's why you took it down and are allowing trolls to ravage your servers and completely ruin (literally, not kidding exact numbers) 7/10 games that i have played in the past 2 weeks?