[Suggestion to help silence toxic players] Auto-mute those who have been muted often.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotSid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

I really hope Lyte or anyone from his team can respond to this and give some feedback on if this is something to consider.

Anyway, I have a suggestion for you about the problem this and every other online game faces. Yes, I'm talking about toxic player behavior. We all hate it and we want it to go away. Banning people helps, but there could be something more we can do, or you, Riot, can do.

My suggestion is this:

If a player is muted more often than 10-20% above the norm, have that player automatically start out as muted in his future games, so that players have to manually unmute them in order to communicate with them.

It sounds like a scary idea, but it can be done and work effectively, so long as it's done right.

Possible ideas to stop abuse muting:

-Treat it the same as abusing the report system, where if you do it too many times where there was no just reason to, send an e-mail to the player warning him not to abuse the ignore feature. Maybe not ban for a first offense, but let the player know that they're being a bit too frivolous with their mutes.

-Have Riot have the final say in whether a player gets slapped with an auto-mute or not, rather than a purely automatic thing.

-Have auto-mutes be timed, like bans are, so that they expire after a certain length of time to give the player a chance to reform.

NotSid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2012

Bump? Feel free to add your own thoughts or tweaks or suggestions to add to this.

Dazzabyss

Recruiter

10-28-2012

I saw this video: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment. First thing I did was search Google to see if League had this functionality. The first result was this thread, so... Bump!

Dr Clueless PhD

10-28-2012

Lyte talked about this before, actually. For the life of me, I don't remember exactly where, but I'm pretty sure it was in one of his megathreads. Good luck finding the post. There are a LOT to look through.

HumdingeRll

10-28-2012

lol on the topic of toxic players, i cant really say my opinion since riot sees me as one. Funny when they only report you for those odd games where the other players need to be muted.
It wont solve the fact that there will always be toxic players, and if you still have the choice to un mute someone, than why bother having that option.

Look im all for people putting in their "thoughts" about how to solve a problem, but in all seriousness riot is just taking things out of hand most of the time. Yeah they're making progress, but they haven't even touched up on making people better players unless they actually get banned.

To stop toxic players, IDK they have to really go deeper than banning people, you just cant change the way you play because you got banned, they should do this.

Prevent players from using rune pages for their toxic behaviors, for the more serious cases, or prevent players from using 6300 ip champs, than 4800, 3150, and so on. Its very simple to change players that way, actually taking away the privilege to play with in game bonuses and champions is better than banning people, like seriously if someone is that bad of a player the highest punishment can be only playing with 450 champs with no rune pages, like banning people is just getting stupid TBH because you are always going to play with a player who is going to make your game a horrible experience, ultimately and sooner or later become the one banned for either saying something that is totally nonsense for being banned or something really stupid.