Basic to Basics - Item Selection

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FlowyS

10-02-2010

Hello, FlowyS here. Today I am here to tell you how to have a better chance at winning games in League of Legends just by your item selection!

First of all, item selection is another easy way (just like champion selection) to make yourself a better player. Knowing what items to buy at the right time could make or break your character. Though I find many people don't know what items to buy at the right item and critizies others for not using "standard" build. Like I remember one game I own, someone laughs at me for buying Heart of Gold on Ashe, even though my opposing team was all physical damage dealers.

Check out my other Basic to Basics guide - Champion Selection
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=268969

======================

Golden Rule - "Never follow set item builds"

Yup, usually guides only tell you what items to get when your winning. (Ex, get Ghostblade on Ashe, then followed by Infinity Edge, then followed by Phantom Dancer). However, probably no one tells you to get Hearts of Gold or Negation Cloaks if your losing or have become a feeder and a burden to the team. The guide everyone posts doesn't take into account what happens when your losing, it only takes into account if you are winning! So I have come with a general guide to help you if you are losing, and if your winning... (Well just see below)
======================

What happens if you winning

You go on google, look up any guide, then follow it.

--------------------------------

What happens if your losing

Ah, here is the meat of this story. A good player will know how to build themselves even if they are losing. Turning the tides of war in a match is a sign of a player who knows their character well enough. So I'm here to show you how.

1. If you're dying mostly by magic damage, get these items
- Null Magic Mantel
- Negation Cloak
- Doran's something... (any Doran is good, they provide 120 HP)
- Ruby Crystal

2. If you're dying mostly by physical damage, get these items
- Heart of Gold (Cloth Armor/Ruby Crystal)
- Chain Vest
- Doran's Shield

3. If you're dying against all damage sources, get these items
- Aegis of the Legion (ask one member to buy it for the team)
- Heart of Gold (HP helps both source of damage)
- Doran's something
- Elixir of Fortitude! (This item rocks, buy it! 400 HP for 300gp!!! at level 18)

4. If you still want more damage but is losing (but somehow people don't recommend these items even when losing, but it's your call)
- Kage's Lucky Pick
- Avarice Blade

5. If you wanna lane better and you just got killed like 5 minutes into the game
- Philosopher's stone

==================================
Boots selection - Basically here to help you to select the right boots every time for your gaming

Boots of Swiftness - For character that like to chase or kite (ex Ashe or Garen)

Boots of Mobility - For character that generally roam a lot on maps (ex Teemo)

Mercury Treads - Generally used against heavy CC on the enemy team, which is around 3-4+ CC users

Ninja Tarbi - Generally used against heavy physical damage on the enemy team, which is around 3-4+ physical dders

Berserker Boots - Generally used for most physical damage carries as it increases your damage output (ex Tristina, Master Yi, Kog'maw)

Sorcerer's Boots - Generally used for most magic damage dealers as it increases your burst damage (ex Ryze, Annie, Anivia)

==================================

Sample Build Guide for some common heroes

Legend
Core Items: This is the item you get regardless of what you are doing, you need the core to be effective in team fights
Survivability Items: This is what you get if your losing after your Core Item! I repeat, after your Core.

REMEMBER - this is only a suggestion and no way a end all guide to tell you what items to get. It is up to the player to play test items and find out what works best for them

Ashe - AD
Core Items - Infinity Edge
Survivability Items - Bashee Veil (heavy CC/magic dmg), Randuin's Omen (heavy Physical damage), Aegis of the Legion (mixed)

Master Yi - AD
Core Items - Youmuu's Ghostblade or Infinity Edge or Phantom Dancer
Survivability Items - Guardian Angel, Wriggle's Lantern (wards save life)

Alistar - Tank
Core Items - Innervating locket
Survivability Items - Eh... whatever items works really. Randuin's Omen, Sunfire Capes (for physical dd). Force of Nature or Abyssal Scepter (for magic dd). Alistar usually doesn't get focused in team fights. If its early into the game, stack Hearts of Gold instead of these expensive items.

Kog'maw - AD
Core Items - Madred's Bloodrazor
Survivability Items - Banshee's Veil (magic dd), Randuin's Omen (physical dd), Guardian Angel (mixed dd).

Amumu - Tank
Core Items - Nothing really lol, Amumu is good even with 5 Hearts of Gold.
Survivability Items - Yea, Hearts of Gold if your dying a lot. After maybe 1-5 Hearts (depending on how crappy you did, more crappy = more Hearts of Gold). Get yourself either a Sunfire Cape or Force of Nature (depending on the damage source you receive). If its mixed dd, get an Aegis of the Legion

Miss Fortune - AD
Core Items - Manamune
Survivability Items - Well get yourself a Guardian Angel, Banshee Veil or Randuin's Omen depending on whatever you like. After that you should probably get yourself an Infinity Edge or something that packs a pow.

Soraka - Support
Core Items - Innervating locket
Survivability Items - Stack more Hearts of Gold against Physical dds, or turn that Hearts of Gold into a Randuin's Omen. Against magic dds, get an Abyssal Scepter. Then get something like Zhonyas or Archangel's staff for some AP.

Sona - Support
Core Items - Innervating locket or Soul Shroud
Survivability Items - Probably the same as Soraka.

Morgana - Support
Core Items - Rod of Ages or Zhonya's Ring
Survivability Items - Banshee's Veil is highy recommended if they have lots of CC. Stack maybe 1-2 Hearts of Gold, not too much on Morgana. After your healthy enough to live, start to build up some AP.

OPTIMUSCRIME

10-02-2010

How did you manage to use 'your' incorrectly so many times?

Carados

10-02-2010

The same way he gave some terrible advice.

Bssil

10-02-2010

I don't even know what to say...

idiotard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bssil View Post
I don't even know what to say...
all you need

SonicTheHedgedawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2010

Okay. So this guy has good INTENTIONS, but his post is completely wrong.

FlowyS

10-02-2010

How is it wrong?

I don't understand how building some defensive items and being less squishy is wrong?

RJJ7

10-02-2010

Saying: This Guy is wrong does no good and just clutters up the thread.

There is a little red thumb icon that does exactly the same thing without forcing people to read useless posts to try and find a good one.

If you are going to post, you should include some useful criticism as to why he is wrong. That way, we get a thread that consists of a useful discussion that new players (like myself) can read to get better.

Carados

10-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowyS View Post
How is it wrong?
Soul Shroud >>>> Locket, especially on champions with a heal. Sword of the Divine on Kog'Maw. Suggesting PhiloStone.

TheOneTrueAustin

10-02-2010

Many of your "your"s need to be "you're"s or "you are"s.

First of all, you shouldn't limit yourself to buying defensive equipment because you're (not your) dieing. Look at the enemy team.

Who are the major threats? Is it mostly magic? Invest in a negatron cape and build that into something that would benefit your character, like a banshee's veil later in the game.

Is it mostly physical? Invest in a chainmail and upgrade it into something that fits your character later in the game.

Heart of Gold and Kage's Lucky pick are not good defensive items. Yeah, they're better than nothing but you're paying for the extra gold on those items, not the survivability. 9/10 times you would be better off grabbing a pure defensive item.

Try to invest in defensive items that fit your character. For instance you suggested sunfire cape for Kog'maw. A sunfire cape will help you survive, yes, but you're paying through the tooth for that magic damage AOE. Kog'maw is a range character. He lives at range and dies at melee. Your sunfire isn't going to be doing anything if you're playing Kog'maw right because you won't be up close enough to see much use of it.

A far better investment would be thornmail. That way if you are being harassed by ranged characters you can return some of the damage and if melee characters get close you'll be dealing far more damage to them before you die than you would with a sunfire cape. Thornmail is also cheaper.