New Twisted Treeline TOO different?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mike Teavee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

I just got done playing the new 3s map.
I have to say that in my personal opinion, I don't think it's a good replacement for 3s.
As an add-on building off of capturing the altars (maybe make it a dominion option for 3v3), it could be rightfully implemented.
To replace classic 3s and completely reconstruct the map layout as well as all monsters, the colour scheme, etc. is rather sudden and very different.
I played my first game in the new 3s map today only to find that the brush, to me, was hard to see. The light grey colour mixed in quite well with the charcoal colour of the ground texture, making the brush easily passed up and unnoticeable. I realize that it is still in its beta stages and is not yet finished, so I understand that there will be some flaws.
I think that capturing the alters resembles too much of dominion being mixed in with normal competitive play, which I personally don't like. Maybe being a bit biased, as I was not a fan of dominion, but I just think that taking the competitive killing edge from League 3s and giving it more of a capture the flag-esque is rather undesirable.
For those of us that love traditional play but with smaller, easier to control teams, this is a big step in the wrong direction.
I understand that the classic 3s map was outdated and needed work, but completely re-creating the map, monsters, buffs, and limiting items doesn't seem like a step forward, but rather an entirely new stride altogether.
One thing that I disliked about Dominion was having to change your item knowledge to suit a build using items game-type-specific. I guess that is just another reason why I'm not a fan of Dominion. Limiting items in 3s, which was essentially created to be a smaller 5s map, seems rather absurd and changes how you have to play your champ, no matter how much you frequent them.
The spider is yet another thing that loses my understanding. It's not a huge flaw, as the Twisted Treeline has been in need of a bigger monster with more of a challenge and a better buff. The dragon wasn't a game-changer, as intended. When the dragon buff was applied to a team, the teamfight phase would only be in favour by a very minute percentage to that team. They had a slight edge, but none too noticeable. The Dragon was easily-killed and the buff was easily-bypassed. A stronger monster with a more effective buff (like a weaker Baron, such as how the new spider was intended to be) is a great idea. Keeping the colour scheme also seems like a good idea, as the neutral scheme that has been applied is tough to differ textures from one another (at least to me).
I think wards should be allowed back into 3s, as well as the traditional items. Part of winning the game is knowing when and where to ward.
Removing the current map beta and placing it as an alter capturing, small-scale Dominion game seems like the more logical thing to do.
Placing the original Twisted Treeline codes back into the game, but tweaking them seems like a good idea to me. Basically, this is the constructive criticism that I think would get 3s back up to a modern feel without breaking the classic play-style:

-Placing the old Twisted Treeline model back into the game

-Use more of the space where the Lizard Elder stood, close off all that open space with something useful such as condensing the jungle

-Change the jungle exits to more strategic locations

-Enlarge the jungle in mid and shorten the jungle at top since a main focus with the new Twisted Treeline is to help bring jungling to new light in 3s, but don't over-crowd it.

-Spread the buffs out more evenly amongst the jungle, rather than stacking two buffs up top, plus dragon, and red buff in the middle jungle. Half of the problem with the jungling in classic is the mobility. Having to move to top jungle just sets you too far from bottom lane which makes ganks more difficult.

-Add a monster that is more difficult to kill but offers a better buff (the spider was a step in the right direction, but I still feel as if it does a lot more damage than intended but doesn't offer quite the reward for killing it). The fact that the spider is sectioned off in its own half of the map makes it ten times more obvious to see when the enemy team is going for it, especially if your minions are pushed up to where they cross the lane.

-Remove the wall from the spawn pool, but instead just push the turret further from the pool. Increase the size of the base and have the radius of the base span more into the map, maybe getting rid of some of the unused space at red. Basically, move the nexus and the nexus turret up a few in-game inches and it should be fine. Treat the base like it's Summoner's Rift (distance-wise).

In summary:
* More difficult monster with more rewarding buff necessary

*Jungle buffs evenly spread

*Move top lane further up but increase the space and creatures in mid's jungle, so both lanes are accessible

*Move the nexus and nexus turret up a few inches away from the spawn pool so that minions are not as easy to rake into the laser, if even possible at all

*Remove jagged edges in the wall that make terrain clunky (such as the point in the center of the top wall at lizard).

*Create larger openings in the exits, as well as more accessible and strategic exits based on modern play-styles (keep up with the current champ's abilities and how they react to terrain change and accessibility) and to stop champions such as Teemo from choking major points with shrooms that cannot physically be dodged

*Re-work top's jungle look (after monsters and buffs have been dispersed throughout mid) and work on brush patterns, such as the very top brush [the really long one]). That brush is rarely used, as it's so far out of the way. A lot of top's jungle area isn't used as much as seemingly intended, so downsizing it wouldn't be a bad idea, while focusing a lot more of the fights in middle's jungle.

I would love to see the basic model put back into play but with improvements so that it doesn't seem like Riot's design team just gave up on a very strategic map design.
The classic map is great, it just needs to be modernized.

***Also, this may just be on my computer, but I noticed that when I'd be in a teamfight and someone would use an ability on me, three diagonal streaks of lightning would shoot across the screen as if the graphics were glitching. It happened around 20 times in one 15 minute game (we surrendered).

I'd love to hear others' opinions on this topic as a whole and my ideas that have been put forth.

Thanks.

Epyionik

10-25-2012

TT sucks period, bring the old one back

harryaldt1

10-25-2012

I WISH THEY WOULD LEAVE BOTH IN.... WHY WE HAVE TO COMPROMISE OUR MAPS?

ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SUPPORT A GREAT IDEA FOR THE PROFILE PAGE GO TO http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2700594

The Canadian Kid

10-25-2012

rengar and khazix in almost every game, so i just started playing mundo to deal with them, im really enjoying TT.

Mike Teavee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

Epy, that's what I said in the post.
They need to replace this new beta model with the classic model and just work on that instead of throwing the whole classic model out the window. I hate the new model. In my opinion, it's absolute rubbish.

Mike Teavee

10-25-2012

I'm hoping that this thread will get upvotes and more publicity so that a red could possibly look into this.

Mike Teavee

10-26-2012

Bump

Haeval

Mike Teavee

10-26-2012

Voted. I posted this yesterday but, as always, my threads seem to get overlooked.
So disappointing.