Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why is lore important to you in a MOBA

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Washada

10-27-2012

Because if the game was like "there are 10 people: 2 zombies, 2 mages, a monkey, a ghost horse, a tree, ect... and they decided to fight. That's the game.", wouldn't it suck? I don't want a game where you just kill people for no reason.

Vrouge

10-28-2012

Quote:
Geokhan:
I don't know. It adds layers I guess. It isn't just a, "Oh hey, lets fight!" It makes the game a challenge to the characters. Each character has a reason to be there and you can feel for them. In DOTA 2, what lore I have seen explains what they are. In LoL, it explains why they are. Katarina isn't just a set of boobs with a bunch of knives, she is a zealot for a doctrine of advancement of her nation. Garen isn't a dizzy fool, he is the paragon of justice and order. Then we get the character rivalries. Ashe and Sejuani, Rengar and Kha'zix, TF and Graves. They are butting heads, trying to prove themselves.

Given that Dota 2 is still in beta the lore there is very fun to piece together IMO. To me it feels more battle-hardened and mystical. There's plenty of backstory pondering why certain heroes are fighting for certain things. There's also a lot of mystery. Tiny and Lanaya are just 2 basic examples of heroes who have 'secrets' that they are looking for.

Sven was a knight banished from his order and became an outcast, a rogue. He later burned the Vigil's codex in frustration. Another hero banished from her order was Slithice (Naga Siren). She is out to recover stolen artefacts for her people. Rooftrellen is a treant protector chosen to roam the world to seek out what is happening beyond the Vale of Augury. Multiple backstories mention the ruins of the Violet Plateau. Boush (Tinker) was reported to have had a laboratory built underground, and Lanaya (Templar Assassin) is said to have found a 'secret gateway' to the 'Hidden Temple' at the same location.

Whether or not you can see it I believe that Valve have put a lot of effort into the lore thus far.

TheNarvalOfDeath

10-28-2012

Because... its everything? At least for some people, the story is what makes a game wonderful. There can be like reallly good games but if the story is lacking then, it loses so much. The story Riot was building here was the reason i didnt abandoned this game a long time ago, after all the game itself is pretty repetitive (speaking of the game in general, not saying here that every match is the same) but then we had this awesome plot, many good secondary stories, a deep world with casual, unique, special or political issues (just like our every day world, that created this feeling of belonging if you know what i mean), and that kept me (and im sure many others) going and going, playing each day enjoying our lore involed mini.fights like "Ahh Katarina, nice, i see you've come mid lane. Why? Are you so eager to meet your beloved father again?" (I usually go mid Swian ). Anyway, i keep playing today even when the lore quiality has, in my opinion, dropped (not to mention quantity dropped as well) because well, really because i hope that eventually they will continue the amazing story that they for some reason decided to drop

sonofzeal

10-29-2012

Lore contributes to champion personality. Champion Personality is a major part of how I (and many others) form emotional bonds with our champions - which ones we're fond of even if they sometimes struggle, which ones leave us cold even when they're FotM. In turn, those emotional bonds and favorite champions are a powerful hook keeping us in the game. I could get my competitive gaming fix any number of places, but only LoL has my favorite badass Yordle dispensing "hammer diplomacy" with that no-nonsense scowl on her face.

BEERS FOR FEARS

10-31-2012

Adds depth, excitement, and makes everything more enjoyable. If you don't care for it then oh well; but I think creating a world is excellent