Quick analysis on new Twisted Treeline

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Soiyeruda

10-25-2012

While I was never a Twisted Treeline advocate, I've played and watched enough of the old map to understand the general strategies, issues, and meta in it. I could understand the niche it filled. With the new Twisted Treeline, I feel like it's the exact opposite of what the original map was, which is likely the original intention, but I find it very difficult to understand the positives of this map outside of mindless nonstrategic ganking.

There's absolutely zero depth to the jungle. It's got a few bushes, an uninspired jungle camp layout, and a lot of open space. This would be one of my main reasons for why this shouldn't be a Twisted Treeline replacement. Twisted Treeline had several brushes and two full jungles. You were capable of doing much more trickery. SITT's jungle is very highly predictable. Two enemies missing and you're in the middle of your lane? They're probably going to gank from behind; better back off. People have also mentioned the lack of flash-able walls.

I personally dislike the altars, speed shrine, and Vilemaw. The altars just seem like a cheap method of creating teamfights. The speed shrine feels unnecessary in general, and Vilemaw is often too strong to be worth attempting a sneak. The combination of the strength of holding altars combined with the no-brainer to not even attempt Vilemaw just adds to the general mindlessness I found playing some games. Not controlling altars means you lose gold and fall behind in power; they have too much influence on the game and need to have their focus toned down.

Items are atrociously designed. Wicked Hatchet effectively shuts down healing-dependent champions like Dr. Mundo. Grez's Spectral Lantern shuts out champions like Twitch, Shaco, and severely hampers champions like Akali. Items between roles only seem to favor tanky dps. Mages get about 2/3s of a Deathcap that has movement speed and a burn passive that got severely nerfed before release. Hextech Sweeper doesn't compare to Grez's Lantern, damage wise. Tanky DPS get options like Lord Van Damm's Pillager (damage, sustain and health? seriously?), the mentioned "shutdown" items, and Blade of the Ruined King (which atm, outclasses Blackfire Torch in nearly every respect). AD carries get nothing and still have the most expensive items to buy. Tanks get Overlord's Bloodmail which is such a laughable item in itself. Supports get nothing.

Team comp issues are still unfixed and potentially worse than before with the introduction of the items I mentioned along with the general design of the map. AD and AP Carries need to get farmed to deal damage. If you stay in lane to farm, you'll get ganked, killed, your altars stolen, and eventually, denied. This is much more problematic for AD carries since they have the most expensive items and passive gold gain on TT is slow. Cheaper alternatives to items like Infinity Edge would've helped here, possibly with conditions like "Ranged champions get 50% more AD" or something to make the items less appealing to tanky dps.

Snowballing is a major issue on this map. If you lose both altars and the opponent is responsive to these areas on the map, it's very difficult to pull an advantage and make a comeback when the opponent is getting more gold and dealing more damage than for as long as they can hold both altars.

I'm going to guess that some of these issues, particularly with champion balance, may be addressed with the season 3 changes. For the moment however, the Shadow Isle's version of Twisted Treeline still has the same basic problem (team comps don't allow for AD carries and AP carries to be efficient), fixes some issues with the old map (turtling), but creates new issues that counteract other issues or include changes that don't make sense (eg. appealing to the tanky dps class when it was already very strong).

Much like Dominion, this new version of Twisted Treeline feels like nothing but a novelty game mode that was never properly fleshed out. I was hoping that what I experienced on PBE would not translate into Live. This is not the case however, and I'm sad to say that I'm once again, disappointed, with this map, moreso than the release of Dominion.

GekkoST

10-25-2012

too many words. did not read.

Exqzr

10-25-2012

Well said.

Experienced TT players generally (not all of them) don't like the new map.

This is not to say the new map is without merit. It has some fun things about it.

But IT IS a different game. And for me and many others it's not the type of game we like.

Honestly, I would rather play SMITE than this... Bring the old TT back, please, please and triple please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiyeruda View Post
While I was never a Twisted Treeline advocate, I've played and watched enough of the old map to understand the general strategies, issues, and meta in it. I could understand the niche it filled. With the new Twisted Treeline, I feel like it's the exact opposite of what the original map was, which is likely the original intention, but I find it very difficult to understand the positives of this map outside of mindless nonstrategic ganking.

There's absolutely zero depth to the jungle. It's got a few bushes, an uninspired jungle camp layout, and a lot of open space. This would be one of my main reasons for why this shouldn't be a Twisted Treeline replacement. Twisted Treeline had several brushes and two full jungles. You were capable of doing much more trickery. SITT's jungle is very highly predictable. Two enemies missing and you're in the middle of your lane? They're probably going to gank from behind; better back off. People have also mentioned the lack of flash-able walls.

I personally dislike the altars, speed shrine, and Vilemaw. The altars just seem like a cheap method of creating teamfights. The speed shrine feels unnecessary in general, and Vilemaw is often too strong to be worth attempting a sneak. The combination of the strength of holding altars combined with the no-brainer to not even attempt Vilemaw just adds to the general mindlessness I found playing some games. Not controlling altars means you lose gold and fall behind in power; they have too much influence on the game and need to have their focus toned down.

Items are atrociously designed. Wicked Hatchet effectively shuts down healing-dependent champions like Dr. Mundo. Grez's Spectral Lantern shuts out champions like Twitch, Shaco, and severely hampers champions like Akali. Items between roles only seem to favor tanky dps. Mages get about 2/3s of a Deathcap that has movement speed and a burn passive that got severely nerfed before release. Hextech Sweeper doesn't compare to Grez's Lantern, damage wise. Tanky DPS get options like Lord Van Damm's Pillager (damage, sustain and health? seriously?), the mentioned "shutdown" items, and Blade of the Ruined King (which atm, outclasses Blackfire Torch in nearly every respect). AD carries get nothing and still have the most expensive items to buy. Tanks get Overlord's Bloodmail which is such a laughable item in itself. Supports get nothing.

Team comp issues are still unfixed and potentially worse than before with the introduction of the items I mentioned along with the general design of the map. AD and AP Carries need to get farmed to deal damage. If you stay in lane to farm, you'll get ganked, killed, your altars stolen, and eventually, denied. This is much more problematic for AD carries since they have the most expensive items and passive gold gain on TT is slow. Cheaper alternatives to items like Infinity Edge would've helped here, possibly with conditions like "Ranged champions get 50% more AD" or something to make the items less appealing to tanky dps.

Snowballing is a major issue on this map. If you lose both altars and the opponent is responsive to these areas on the map, it's very difficult to pull an advantage and make a comeback when the opponent is getting more gold and dealing more damage than for as long as they can hold both altars.

I'm going to guess that some of these issues, particularly with champion balance, may be addressed with the season 3 changes. For the moment however, the Shadow Isle's version of Twisted Treeline still has the same basic problem (team comps don't allow for AD carries and AP carries to be efficient), fixes some issues with the old map (turtling), but creates new issues that counteract other issues or include changes that don't make sense (eg. appealing to the tanky dps class when it was already very strong).

Much like Dominion, this new version of Twisted Treeline feels like nothing but a novelty game mode that was never properly fleshed out. I was hoping that what I experienced on PBE would not translate into Live. This is not the case however, and I'm sad to say that I'm once again, disappointed, with this map, moreso than the release of Dominion.

Soiyeruda

10-26-2012

bump for the night.