Can the 3v3 bruiser meta be avoided?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MAGllKARP

Senior Recruiter

08-08-2013

I was just wondering if you guys had any tips for people who don't want to just play bruisers/duelists in 3v3 but still want to do well in 3v3? No matter how hard I "outplay" people in "lane", it seems impossible to do well in team fights.

I LOVED the idea of the Moonflair Spellblade but it doesn't build into anything and often I just need a way to survive the Jax, Nocturne, Fiora, Vayne, Darius, Irelia, Rengar, etc. Most games I play the other team has 3 tanky/bruiser ADs and the MR isn't always useful. In the same way, Seeker's Armguard is good but only builds into Witchcap and you don't always want to rush (or even build) it on every champion. If I just itemize for the resistances I need to survive then I can't put out any damage. It just feels like a race where the bruisers start and are able to win with damage. So while you build resistances they are building power and STILL out-scaling you.

I just want to know if there are any ways to play champs like Ahri, Kennen, or even Lulu in 3v3. I often get the first or even second blood. When I "lane" solo vs a Jax as Lulu I rarely leave the lane without kills. But in team fights it just doesn't seem to work for mages.

Thanks for your time in reading this! Any tips are greatly appreciated and I also LOVE the new site. I'll have to come here more often

SoF Volrath

08-08-2013

Working on this problem myself! Try having a strong disengage team. We are currently running AP Janna, Blue Ez and Cho'Gath. Janna keeps us from having a true team fight with her slow and tornado, Cho is our tank for when things get rough and has great disengage with his silent and pop-up. Ez is a good source of the damage. Poke, kite, poke, kite, poke, aaand win

Not perfect, but we are at ~70% win rate over 20ish games.

dfloob22

08-08-2013

The only way I've seen to avoid the bruiser meta is to take carries with lots of CC, such as adc's like ashe (and I think some people like varus) and ap carries such as anivia, lissandra, syndra, and zyra that you can use to kite the bruisers. This way, you can just try to kite away and never get touched as a means of staying alive instead of buying defenses as a means of staying alive.

That said, these champions lose HARD to gapcloser assassins that can ignore their kiting, so they aren't perfect, but they do very well against the bruiser meta.

As far as the champs you mentioned, I would imagine it would be very difficult to work those champs in because they're just too squishy without enough self-protection, so idk how you could play those champs successfully.

SvenVvath

08-08-2013

My team is still low elo but it's not doing bad. Tank jungle with good CC and double assassin or high CC champs crush bruiser comps. Or we take Tank, assassin, Mage. Mage with good cc. We adjust bans when we take a marksman. These comps have also resolved the "Singed issue" which I see in forums is still a thing.

And yes. Ahri is great on 3s. If you watch a stream or two of Sam's stuff on Twitch you'll see some Ahri in there. If you're in the lead in 3s and having trouble in teamfights... then you'll just have to get better at chosing engagements, and positioning. How the fight starts is a big deal and fights swing in pretty hard because of it. You'll also see on the stream if your jungler takes smite he can be much more aggressive.

Prostitute

08-08-2013

AP with cc, mix in a few bruisers with that.

Ciph3rzer0

08-08-2013

A recent team I'm on went 4 and 1 with Cho, Amumu, and Malz (every game). Any time you're playing non-bruisers against bruisers you have to realize you basically lose until late game. As amu I'd jungle and we'd get 6 faster then the enemy and force a fight, usually get a kill or two, then we'd just go back to farming, only fighting if we can outnumber them. At about lvl 10 or 11 you should have outscaled the bruisers and you can go ahead and own the game.

Malz is a great 3s champ considering most teams are 2 tanks/bruiser + 1 bruiser/carry. You just have to protect Malz at all cost while he's channeling. Thankfully years of silence, snares and knockups work well.

Reddthorn

08-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenVvath View Post
If you watch a stream or two of Sam's stuff on Twitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGllKARP View Post
I just want to know if there are any ways to play champs like Ahri, Kennen, or even Lulu in 3v3.
I was watching Sam stream yesterday I think it was, and his teammate, Samy, was playing Lulu. However, I don't really recall her build. It's hard to see when watching on a phone. What I'm getting at, anyway, is I agree with SvenVvath about watching the steam. It could give you some good ideas.

Skull Kid239

08-08-2013

Sounds like you need a high CC tank that knows what he's doing.

MAGllKARP

Senior Recruiter

08-08-2013

Thank you for all of your replies so far

I do think that one of the problems might jsut be that to run non-bruisers vs bruisers (who often have gap closers) you need a team and going blind pick will never get you that. At least it hasn't gotten me that :P

Maybe I'll have to avoid 3s until some sort of draft pick comes out.