Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Windows 8 Compatibility For League of Legends?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3mptylord

10-27-2012

It'll be a very long time before touch will be a core feature of PC gaming: for sensitivity beyond compatibility. Riot could easily make the platform compatible with a touch screen: but that doesn't mean it would be play-worthy. No device that is sensitive enough to rival a mouse while being able to withstand hours of grubby/sweaty fingers will exist on the market for some time.

Atlas Ultio

10-28-2012

Quote:
3mptylord:
It'll be a very long time before touch will be a core feature of PC gaming: for sensitivity beyond compatibility. Riot could easily make the platform compatible with a touch screen: but that doesn't mean it would be play-worthy. No device that is sensitive enough to rival a mouse while being able to withstand hours of grubby/sweaty fingers will exist on the market for some time.

Not to mention:

I highly doubt the OP has ever used a regular computer with a touchscreen before. If he had, he'd know that you would NEVER play a game using the touchscreen, if the game's going to last more than 10 mins... It's painful to try and hold your arms up like that, especially for as precise you're going to be to play League...

Slick Sauce

10-28-2012

I installed Windows 8 the day it came out. Windows 8 was made for gaming: League runs better (10 fps boost over win 7!!), both PBE and NA server. There is only one major bug I can find. Every 10 min or so the game will freeze for about 1-3 seconds, then resume like nothing happened. Also, there are random audio glitches where a 1/2 second loop will play 5-10 times before resetting and continuing. Note: this audio glitch is game related ONLY, background music etc. does not loop or hang, only the sound effects in game. If these 2 issues are addressed, I would be very happy.

Slick Sauce

10-28-2012

Edit... repeat post

Slick Sauce

10-28-2012

Quote:
AriesMajor:
You should probably upgrade to 7 on that rig, not to say that your rig is completely terribad, but, you don't even meet the recommended specs to play league with that thing. And windows 8 will definitely make things worse if you're already running slow on Vista.

Windows 8 actually runs better on lower specs than windows 7, and that was an improvement over Windows Vista, which is always slow. Definitely upgrade to Windows 8, I know i got a 10fps improvement over windows 7 by doing so.

Nave222

10-29-2012

Quote:
Slick Sauce:
I installed Windows 8 the day it came out. Windows 8 was made for gaming: League runs better (10 fps boost over win 7!!), both PBE and NA server. There is only one major bug I can find. Every 10 min or so the game will freeze for about 1-3 seconds, then resume like nothing happened. Also, there are random audio glitches where a 1/2 second loop will play 5-10 times before resetting and continuing. Note: this audio glitch is game related ONLY, background music etc. does not loop or hang, only the sound effects in game. If these 2 issues are addressed, I would be very happy.

help a mate out >_<

I've also switched last saturday, but league keeps bug splatting @_@

what did you do to make it work? Did you get errors in installing? [ i had to keep retry/ignore alooottt of components]

im really excited to find out how it works with gaming!

Slick Sauce

10-30-2012

Didnt have to do anything special. I just downloaded/installed it like normal, and it works. There were no errors at all, nor has league crashed since. As for the PBE Client, since I updated to windows 8, as opposed to a clean install, I still had my files, so once I had installed the normal client, my pbe could just start (I have it installed in my documents folder). Sorry about your bugsplat errors man, don't know what to say.

KyroRayne

Recruiter

10-30-2012

I think Riot would implement something like a motion interface easier than touch screen. A touch screen just seems kind of out of date already especially with gaming.

As for Win 8, I will NOT upgrade to that. It seems like too much of a hassle... Sadly, I will have to support it at work, but my personal computer will stay Win 7.

Arminas Anárion

10-30-2012

People who don't have Windows 8 cant say anything about its performance. Benchmarks are only ever 70% true. Once you get it then you can talk. I upgraded to Windows 8 the day it came out. The reason I did was I am soon upgrading to the AMD Fx-8350, which has amazing hyper-threading technology. Windows 8 have a huge improvement in hyper-threading over windows 7. There is a 10~15 fps boost in Windows 8. I currently have a very low performance cpu (Athlon II x2 5600+), Gpu (Asus HD 6670, @ 835mhz): With a full map: Windows 7;45~60 fps Windows 8; 55~75 fps! You don't have to believe me but Windows 8 uses way less cpu load per program and ram.

Atlas Ultio

10-31-2012

Quote:
YamahaHornist:
People who don't have Windows 8 cant say anything about its performance. Benchmarks are only ever 70% true. Once you get it then you can talk. I upgraded to Windows 8 the day it came out. The reason I did was I am soon upgrading to the AMD Fx-8350, which has amazing hyper-threading technology. Windows 8 have a huge improvement in hyper-threading over windows 7. There is a 10~15 fps boost in Windows 8. I currently have a very low performance cpu (Athlon II x2 5600+), Gpu (Asus HD 6670, @ 835mhz): With a full map: Windows 7;45~60 fps Windows 8; 55~75 fps! You don't have to believe me but Windows 8 uses way less cpu load per program and ram.

Exactly, and that's inherently obvious when you consider the fact that this OS was MADE to function effectively on tablets! It's going to be must faster for all sorts of programs, including games.