What is Elo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tradgik

10-25-2012

can anyone please explain to me what Elo is , is it like your overall skill level and if so how is it determined , i started playing only a bit ago and my friend that introduced me to LoL threw me in the deep end haha

Fongletto

10-25-2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

In league it essentially represents your skill at the game.
around 1200 top 50%
around 1500 top 7%

QQ Bro

10-25-2012

elo is a ranking system used in LoL to better determine your skill level and in turn pair you with similarly skilled opponents/teamates.

keep in mind that normal games have an elo value set to them as well, it just isnt displayed. the game needs to know generally where you stand so it can match you with as even games as possible

you gain elo by winning and you lose elo by losing ranked games.

the first 10 ranked games are worth 4-5x more elo than the rest of your ranked games afterwards (they are called placement matches), so be wary of just jumping in the competitive ladder right off the bat, as it has sunk alot of ppl that tried. Ranked is very different from normals. people are much much more serious, especially the higher you get, so dont take doing well in normal games as an indicator you are ready for ranked.

as a veteran of ranked, i HIGHLY discourage you to do ranked until you have at least 400-500 normal wins.

Tradgik

10-25-2012

thanks i think ill read that when its not 3 in the morning :L

Real Stronk

10-25-2012

There is a great page of this, but I can give you the long and short of it anyway.

Source: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Elo_rating_system

When a team wins, their awarded amount of elo is based on how likely they were to win and a base value, that will be higher initially.

Basically, when you are matched with opponent's each side has an average rating that is used to determine the likelihood of one side winning. The base value is how confident the system is you are at your appropriate elo. The elo matchmaking system wants your expected likelihood of winning to move as close to 50% as it can (even wins and losses).

pG NomNoms

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQ Bro View Post
elo is a ranking system used in LoL to better determine your skill level and in turn pair you with similarly skilled opponents/teamates.

keep in mind that normal games have an elo value set to them as well, it just isnt displayed. the game needs to know generally where you stand so it can match you with as even games as possible

you gain elo by winning and you lose elo by losing ranked games.

the first 10 ranked games are worth 4-5x more elo than the rest of your ranked games afterwards (they are called placement matches), so be wary of just jumping in the competitive ladder right off the bat, as it has sunk alot of ppl that tried.

as a veteran of ranked, i HIGHLY discourage you to do ranked until you have at least 400-500 normal wins.
I find normals so different that even that wont help entirely imo. I think spectating and reading solomid guides would help a lot too.

QQ Bro

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNomNomNomXx View Post
I find normals so different that even that wont help entirely imo. I think spectating and reading solomid guides would help a lot too.
as do i.

Tradgik

10-25-2012

thanks for the info, greately appreciated

azeem1

12-28-2012

how does one check their elo?