My take on the Shadow Isles

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheNarvalOfDeath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

This post was originally goint to appear here (but then it was just too long and had little to do with poor heca): http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...2707722&page=2

Consider this, look at what the altars say to Elise:

East Altar (AKA Lord):
"The spider welcomes you, Elise."
"We thank you for your gifts, Elise."

West Altar (The Lady):
"Your power is not worth the price, Elise."
"Your humanity traded away, and for what?"

Now didnt Elise got her power from a misterious Spider god? And if you look at the quotes from the east altar... doesnt it seem like that altar is in fact an altar for the Spider god? (The gifts would be of course all the sacrifices she brings to the spider)
And if you read at what the altar says to the other champions there is nothing that contradicts this speculation of mine (Except the quote when the altar refers to Morde as his lord, but i will try to explain this further on). Now we know this Spidy thing is a god for the shadow isles and then he would certainly want to, may be, expand his influence? Or to put it in other words, the wants to invade and dominate the whole world?

-Lead our charge Hecarim, and let the living tremble
-The dark requiem will be the last thing they hear
-Slay them, gravedigger! Make them serve us
-Bind their spirits to the Shadow Isles

Ok so now leave aside the Spidy thing, he is just a god... or a demon. But the altars are just that, altars in honor to this and may be another still unkown god. I find it hard to believe that the actual god is prisioner so ill go with the mob here and say that in fact the spirits that live on those altars are... people. But i dont think that they are a lord or a lady that had power in the old days, if you ask me i would go with priests... and now we can explain this: "Free me my lord so I may aid you" (The priest served Morekaiser now and wants to do so in the present)

Ok so the in the east altar we have a priest for the god that gave Elise her power (remember i left aside the spidy thing because, as a god, he probably is or was able to take any form, but even if we want to say: "No he is a spider god because in Elise's lore it clearly says so" that still works fine for my next ponit). In the west Altar then we have a different priest for... the same god? I dont know about this.

Any way, i think that this two, as it has also been mentioned, probably had a love story back in the old days. The west altar holds the spirit of a female priest (that explains why the quotes from this altar are "softer", take a look for example at how each altar interacts with Yorick but also with any other champion and specially, look at the generic quotes) and then in the East altar we have a male who clearly seems like an agressive, ambitious and really cocky (by the way he treats Yorick, like if the gravedigger wast just a dog) man. The kind of person you would expect planning a putsch may be, plotting to start a civil war? And there we have this huge commander that is Morde as the head of the rebels? (Remember the quote were this altar refers to Morde as "My Lord"). Any way, i leave here space for you to think of the heart breaking fight that came when the female priest discovered all this, so bad was it that she is still rumbling about it today ("This place was once so... beautiful." - "Has he forgotten me?") but that also troubles the priest after all the time that has passed ("Sometimes I-I can almost remember... her face.")

Next point: As we all agree it is highly probable that a long time ago there was a civil war on the isles, i think one of the sides was commanded by Morde, on the other side? Well we have our mysterious king.
I think that although the isles were always a kinda darky place (the god that the priests ive created worshipped, if we consider that at least the east altar is an altar for the same god Elise got her power from, really seems to point in that direction), during this civil war were there is no doubt magic was used indiscriminately and probably one of the sides took it to far (something like what would have happened in Valoran if the League hadn't appeared to stop the Rune wars and the endless conflict between city states), dooming (does this word exists?) the whole region, transforming the unlucky that survived into this undead monster-like creatures whos only purpose is to extend the domains of the dark god/s that they served during their lifetime (From Evelyn's Lore "... [About the Shadow Isles] the mysterious island located northwest of Valoran that is eternally blanketed by a thick, unnatural fog. It is thought that the Shadow Isles are home to countless forms of undead")

Of course strong characters such as Morde or Hecarim wont be just like zombies blindly following the commands of the god/s, so we have the first one looking for something (may be he wants more power so he can defy the god, or be free of the curse or whatever else you can think of), the second one... well blindly following the commands of the god/s (based on the fact that, as some in the forums say, he is "the war", in a reference to the four horsemen, and i will not contradict this because i think its a really nice theory and i support it) but then the west altar tries to warn him about morde's real intentions (so he is certainly not just a zombie thing). We also have Elise who is certainly a" follower of the god" but isnt a zombie at all, Yorick who seems to be or to have been a lower class character since the beggining (by how the east altar talks to him) and seems more like a servant and Eve... well Eve... if you ask me she is nowhere near this god ive been talking about, i think she didnt took part on the civil war and im pretty sure she has completely different objectives than the rest of the shadow isles' characters (that is why there is no reference to her from the altars)

MrHarz

10-25-2012

Quote:
The west altar holds the spirit of a female priest (that explains why the quotes from this altar are "softer", take a look for example at how each altar interacts with Yorick but also with any other champion and specially, look at the generic quotes)
One thing I will note, if you haven't heard the lines yourself, is that the Lady is a complete ******* to Yorick, far moreso than the Lord. As I noted when I listed the quotes out, everything she says to him is sarcastic as all hell.

"Alas, poor Yorick" essentially sounds like someone saying "Aww, poor baby" when someone's being childish, for example.

(Edit - In fact, the Lady seems to hate the lot of them except for Hecarim, and wants the outside world to "destroy us, all of us.")

Other than that, interesting points. Personally, I'm really hoping some light in shed on the altars and their inhabitants when we get the new lore for this new Twisted Treeline.

TheNarvalOfDeath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

Ahh sorry then, my bad on that (i havent heard them).

That changes a lot the realtionship i was trying to build and the personality i was giving to the woman... but the whole thing still stands. Just that Yorick was and is for both sides just a simple servant, a lower class.

Nos how this affects the civl war theory... well for one thing the idea of an evil god, cruel and agressive gains more strength (then their priests tend to be cruel as well), although why there was a civil war... i dont know now, political riff raff that went out of control probably. We still have this misterious king and the rebels. I was thinking a lot about the old Morde lore and remebered that in the beggining there were theories about him being Du Couteau (Kat's father) because he had this "aura" of a powerful knight and lord, that is why i was pointing him as the head of a posible revolution however he might just be a very prominent general.

Next we have Hecarim, where was he during this civil war? Was he a part of it? On which side? Probably on the same side that the priest of the West Altar (that is why, asi MrHarz pointed out, she is somewhat kind to him) and opposite to Mordekaiser's... and then the other altar has the priest supporting Morde, and the relationship between the two lovers hits a tragical end...

Yorick was just a servant so he didnt really had weight on that war, that is what i think (although im pretty sure that he holds great power but hast this submissive personality, kind of what happens on Pirate of The Caribbean with that stupid guys with the wooden eye, *spoiler alert*...............................we think he is just this useless pirate but he was holding a powerfull piece to summon that godess etc etc.)

Elise, well she seems to have her own motivations and according to her personality i would bet she didnt pick a side (after all she is a servant of the god, not some simple kings or queens from this land), but was waiting to support the winners.

I already talked about Eve, and well Karthus is just this fanatical guys who wants to kill them all so he can fit in my cathegory if zombie like creatures trying to extend the domains of that bloodthirsty god

Cerubois

10-25-2012

I haven't actually researched the quotes much myself, but from what you've written, could it not be possible that Hecarim was himself the king of the Shadow Isles, and Mordekaiser the scheming advisor (as is all too common in tales)?

The quote "Mordekaiser is not to be trusted, Hecarim" fits here. He loses the civil war, and is brainwashed into being a minion of Mordekaiser ("Remember who you once were").

TheNarvalOfDeath

10-25-2012

Yeah but those same lines arent deffinitive enough, the same way they could mean "hey you are being brainwashed by your main enemy" it could be "hey you once fought against Mordekaise's men, wtf are you doing now?". I mean Hecarim could be the King but then there is not enough evidence to say that, and the evidence we have doesnt really point into that direction. I dont know tho, its all to shady about this topic yet.

Check out the thread i posted at the beggining its a thread about Hecarim in particular, pretty interesting!

MrHarz

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerubois View Post
I haven't actually researched the quotes much myself, but from what you've written, could it not be possible that Hecarim was himself the king of the Shadow Isles, and Mordekaiser the scheming advisor (as is all too common in tales)?

The quote "Mordekaiser is not to be trusted, Hecarim" fits here. He loses the civil war, and is brainwashed into being a minion of Mordekaiser ("Remember who you once were").
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2697315

Scroll down for the full list.