Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

In my view, the most important role is:

Jungle 80 33.76%
Top 12 5.06%
Mid 43 18.14%
Adc 55 23.21%
Support 47 19.83%
Voters 237 .

Poll: The most important role

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tutskii

10-24-2012

So, curious on what everyone thinks that *thread* is.

Here is my thinking though, in order of importance, by game stage:

1) Jungle: Jungle makes, I think the early game, he can set up lanes to succeed or fail, and we all know both the impact of a good, and a bad jungle. Unfortunately, beyond trying to steer things the right way, with the tank jungle meta, jungle can't really carry. Its still up to the rest of the team to capitalize on the opportunities offered. Even so, jungle gets buffs (and gives them) which can set mid and bot for a victory, makes sure lanes can farm and maybe even get kills, and secures dragon: A huge source of gold, amongst other things.

2) Mid: Close to jungle, this is, I think, the king of the early game. More farmed and with bigger damage output, a good roaming top can just end the game. Nothing is more demoralizing than having Ahri randomly wander bot and dive your AD and support while they helplessly try to do something. I don't think there is something as likely to get a 20 min GG for its team than a good mid. And that's without going into its ability to make sure that the late game never happens for the carry. Jungle in my view edges it by mid's dependence on blue, and its wildcard/gank potential, but I think mid is easily in the top two roles.

3) Support: Vision wins and loses games like almost nothing else. A good support can guarantee that even a terrible ADC will get a decent late game by helping his positioning/shielding/getting kills, and can ensure the team is safe, and warm and happy by giving vision of important places. It can provide safety by oracles and counterwarding, and really, in my experience, ends up making most of the plays/determining when bot lane engages. Important at all stages but probably won't directly carry the game, and helpless with a bad team. Been there, it sucks.

4) Top: Top is a wildcard. A lot of games, top just stares at the other top, farming, sharing tales and maybe once in a while poking to make sure the other top is alive. With tops of near equal ability there will seldom be any deaths, or even chances to gank, and with tops of different ability, the more skilled one will snowball and rape everything. Top can wander and win games, or can farm forever and find out that the game is done. It tends to be the most unpredictable, but also hermetic lane, which stops me from rating it higher.

5) ADC: ADC I feel is the most team dependant role. For ADC to really shine it needs a team that has made sure it got a chance to farm up, that had held the fort till late game, and even then, that can peel and guard it to make sure its alive. ADC's tend not to matter until late, late game has come, and when the game has been determined one way or another. Yet, a good ADC will often determine which game wins, but of all the roles, I feel like this is the most team dependant one. Team doesn't keep ADC alive and fed and farmed? ADC does nothing.

So, those are my thoughts based on my elo journey (to admittedly, not that high), they are completely arguable and subjective

What are yours? I'm really wondering about different people's opinions on this.

Thanks!

Eleshakai

Recruiter

10-24-2012

The most important role is feeder. He's the one who has the biggest impact on the game.

Lots0fGoats

10-24-2012

A good jungler can feed all his lanes. Whereas, a good laner can only win their lane.

Tutskii

10-24-2012

Please leave a line on your reasoning! I really appreciate your thoughts

Flytrap

10-24-2012

Easily the jungler.

It's simply too powerful and has too much impact throughout all stages of the game (ganks, dragon, baron, etc.). The difference between a poor jungler and a great jungler is HUGE.

Häßlich

10-24-2012

Really depends on Elo, and you can't really say that only one role is the "most important," but I cast my vote for supports. They can make or break games for most of the reasons you listed, but also because they ensure the adc can carry the game.

Just as an example: I was playing Janna with my friend as Caitlyn (on TS). Enemy jungle was ganking top, so we pushed our lane with enemy carry at 30% hp and ducking under the tower. My Cait goes in to harass/poke, and I run in, flash behind enemy carry, and ult her out of tower protection range. Enemy support was knocked away towards their inner tower. Kill secured by Cait, and we knock the tower down. As per usual support play, I had wards in river and tri-bush, so we were relatively safe from ganks the entire time, and were free to withdraw if we saw one coming (from mid).

I'm sure you all have seen supports utterly change the outcome of team fights as well with a well placed ult/Heal/cc/displacement/shield/etc. I personally feel they are the least predictable in the ways and times that they will turn something around. There were even a couple pro games in the S2 championship playoffs and finals that were won and lost based largely on support play.

Again, it's a team game, and a good support is worthless with a bad team, but all else being equal, I find they decide the flow of the game, and--to a lesser extent--who lives and dies in team fights.

Kazoo The Kid

10-24-2012

Early game:Jungle and mid. Jungle controls buffs and can effect every lane. Mid can wander and has just as much influence.

Support is important. They have to deal with the ADC which is usually pretty low damage and bad throughout the entire early game.

Late Game: ADC and Tank. Initiates and ADC positioning make or breaks games. With the long ass death timers these people matter

Its a team game. Everyone is equally important. They just shine at different stages.

I heavily disagree with your support analyzation. Any good player can do that. Thats not the supports job. Everyone should ward and counter ward. Junglers often buy oracles also. The supports main job is to make sure the adc makes it too late game with decent farm and hopefully kills.

msgerbs

10-25-2012

The most important role is the Team Player.

Anaxxon

10-25-2012

I had to vote for top.
Top's are often the tanky dps of the team.

Tanks (often jungler/support): Can often be ignored because of their lack of damage.
ADC: Can't be ignored but is a prime target because of squishiness.
Mage: Same as ADC.
Support: Can either be ignored, or need protection.

Tanky DPS: Tanky enough to survive. Enough damage to not be ignored. Generally best role for singling out squishies. Also causes enough damage to potentually kill attackers before they kill friendly ADC/Support/Mage.

If your top does badly. The results often bite you in the butt during the mid game team fight faze, because their tanky dps can target your squishies, and your tanky dps can't target theirs without dying.

This is from the view of someone who mainly supports. I am the one who has to try to protect my adc and mage when the top fails early game.

lookbehindUquick

04-27-2013

Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
u sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
u sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku sucku suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck
Quote:
msgerbs:

u suck