Before you ever make an elo hell thread please define the term

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cardboardowl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-24-2012

People don't all agree what it means so you are wasting time if you dont define what it is.

SynSasion

10-24-2012

I'm pretty sure people who support the theory all agree on what elo hell is.

FaerellG

10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynSasion View Post
I'm pretty sure people who support the theory all agree on what elo hell is.
By all means. Please define it such that everyone who agrees with the theory agrees with you.

SynSasion

10-24-2012

ELO Hell - A metaphorical name given to a specific bracket ELO score in a multiplayer team based game that is or can be increasingly difficult to leave, regardless of ones skill, because of the higher chance of being matched with team mates with poor attitude or skills.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-24-2012

I'm inclined to agree with him here. It's a pretty simple concept - a level of ELO that once you reach, you can't get out of save through luck rather then skill.

Which is, of course, the anitithesis of the ELO system, so at this point I have to stop agreeing with him.

I can see how ELO hell could also be used to describe the unpleasantness that occurs in the lower brackets... but in that case they don't support the theory, so the alternate definition is meaningless.

FaerellG

10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynSasion View Post
ELO Hell - A metaphorical name given to a specific bracket ELO score in a multiplayer team based game that is or can be increasingly difficult to leave, regardless of ones skill, because of the higher chance of being matched with team mates with poor attitude or skills.
What's that specific bracket? I've heard people call 1400s and below to be Elo Hell. and I've heard it stated as anything under 1000. Having traveled to 1400 from 1000, I can tell you there's a world of difference.

Would you say Elo hell is a set range? Or would you say it's dependent on the person?

SynSasion

10-24-2012

I don't see why this is the antithesis of the ELO system.

ELO System was originally developed for 1v1 games (chess, checkers, etc). Later it was adopted to football games and other sports as well, but in a sense a football team is still collectively a single player because the roster remains more or less static.

In League, the ELO system is implemented to a randomly match 5 v 5 game. In a game where team play is crucial, getting matched with bad players can easily throw a game for you even though you played well.

If League were a 1 v 1 game, and I constantly lost my games and ended up in <1000 ELO score bracket then yes, that is were I belong. When I am playing a 5 v 5 game that ultimately comes down to which team has that toxic player that starts to go off first and I consistently get that toxic player, that is ELO Hell.

Sereg Anfaug

10-24-2012

Heh. The range is usually something slightly higher then the ELO Hell Believer's current ELO, although in some cases it can be a point between where they are now and the highest ELO they were carried to, because they believe that the games where they were carried are what they should expect of their presumed actual ELO.

Sereg Anfaug

10-24-2012

"When I am playing a 5 v 5 game that ultimately comes down to which team has that toxic player that starts to go off first and I consistently get that toxic player, that is ELO Hell."

This. This exactly. Statistically, the odds of that are better then 50% for your team, assuming you're not toxic, since you have only 4 potential bad players on your team, and 5 on the other. You want to bring numbers into this, then accept probability. You can't be on the team with the toxic player, or the bad player, or the new level 30, or whatever; the majority of the time... unless you are that player.

This is why ELO hell is a myth.

SynSasion

10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
What's that specific bracket? I've heard people call 1400s and below to be Elo Hell. and I've heard it stated as anything under 1000. Having traveled to 1400 from 1000, I can tell you there's a world of difference.

Would you say Elo hell is a set range? Or would you say it's dependent on the person?
Everyone starts with 1200 (?) so common sense states it would have to be lower than that because if you get a higher score, example 1400, and you stay there that is most likely your level of skill. The Elo hell I am talking about (<1000) is dependent on the pool of players in that bracket.