Elo hell. It's alive and burning

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jesot

10-24-2012

Elo hell is people who have 400 games in ranked raging at people and claiming they're in Elo hell

Shadow Wolf 47

10-24-2012

I have a question. Since you are in this proverbial "ELO hell" don't both teams, being in the same elo range, have the same chance of getting leavers/AFK'ers/trolls?

Imagine you were on the opposing team: your chances of getting the above players are the same as your team.

Just my 3 1/2 cents.

Sem

10-24-2012

Hmm. I don't know man, you will find players raging, trolling, AFK'ing, feeding, and throwing in all ELO's. Season 1 when I was 1500 I thought that ELO hell reached all the way to that. Season 2 when I was 1700-1800 I thought that was the worst ELO range because half of the games my team had a good lead in were thrown by 1 player in late game. When I reached the 1900s I saw a change in skill, and communication. The biggest difference is that I started to get paired up with the same players each game. That's where I learned that even good players can have bad streaks, not just bad days or bad games. I suppose you can say the lower ELO range is hell since there are way more players and thus greater chances of being paired up with people on bad streaks, but just keep in mind that this happens everywhere man. You never really escape the trolling, the raging, etc. Watch streams, even diamond players go through it. My best suggestion to you is master 2 to 3 roles and preferably 1 to 2 champs per role. If you really want to move up, learn to play a few champs really well rather than buying and trying out a bunch of champs that you feel like playing at the moment. For me specifically, Anivia brought me from 1200 to 1900 and you could try doing the same with a champ, i've played like 800 ranked games, 500 of which were with Anivia, and if you have to lolking your stats with a champion, it could help. Anyways, I wish you luck. Don't know how much of this helps but I guess those are my 2 cents.

Rillain

10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 47 View Post
I have a question. Since you are in this proverbial "ELO hell" don't both teams, being in the same elo range, have the same chance of getting leavers/AFK'ers/trolls?

Imagine you were on the opposing team: your chances of getting the above players are the same as your team.

Just my 3 1/2 cents.
It still takes long as HELL to get out of that elo even with a 51% winrate.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-24-2012

If you have a 51% win rate, you're pretty close to your actual ELO.

SabbathViper

10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynSasion View Post
Luck does play a major role here, but I do believe elo hell does exist. Think about it this way. At the very beginning of a season, after a elo soft reset, everyone is on the same level again (good, mediocre, terrible and new players alike). If you play at this time and you get lucky and get match 2 or 3 to 1 with good players that can carry you, you will easily make it to 1500 and be pretty set there (I call this riding the wave out of hell). Now if you are plagued with bad luck and you get leavers and ragers, you will lose your elo score very fast.

Now we look deeper into the second scenario. Early and mid season, if you drop your elo score terribly, you may still have a chance - if you're lucky. After mid season is when rank starts to settle down and people start to find that their scores really cant move that much anymore. This is because all the good players are now 1500+ and this pool of players consists of experienced players willing to work with team (VERY few trollers/leavers here). On the other hand, the pool of players <1500 will consists of most of the players with bad attitude, unwilling to work with team, unskilled or new players. You cant escape this statistic; you wont find a 900 elo player in a 2000 elo match up. THIS IS ELO HELL. In elo hell you have a much higher chance of getting matched with unfavorable team mates because the pool of players match making can choose from consists of a high amount of these types of players.

Higher elo players will deny that there isn't a elo hell because they are in a bracket of players that are easy to play with and they will not fall too far from where they are at. At the beginning of season 2 I had played a couple of ranked games and gotten 1290. Then at the end of the season I got a few bad games and it easily dropped me below 1200. Now I cannot get a game where everyone works together and doesnt argue or insult each other. Low elo games are worse than normal games (I am currently at 960).
Countless top tier players have made multiple runs into and out of elo hell again and again to prove you wrong.

Also, if you are good, then you have a chance of having 4 bad people on your team. However, the enemy team has a chance of having 5 bad people on their side. Which means, odds are in your favor.

In other words, SHUT UP.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynSasion View Post
Dont patronize me with that age old, "or maybe that's where you belong" bs.
Yes there is a big difference between 1290 and 960 - quality of matches is one of them.
The difference between 960 Elo and 1290 Elo is not just quality of teammates. It's quality of enemies as well.

Players at 1290 Elo don't simply have better teammates but the same quality of opponents relative to what you're getting at 960 Elo. They're getting teammates that are 330 Elo points better and enemies that are 330 Elo points better.

If you can't beat 960 Elo opponents with 960 Elo teammates, what makes you think you can beat 1290 Elo opponents with 1290 Elo teammates?

EDIT: And typically I Lolking the people who believe in Elo hell to argue their own statistics at them. In your case, the only ranked match in your 10-match history is a win. However, if your ranked matches look anything like the 9 normals in your 10-match history, you're probably where you belong...

Bearsby

10-24-2012

I agree that low elo games are worse than norms. I had a string of bad luck with leavers and now I won't play ranked again (and I am nowhere near 1000 even, and it is that bad).