Could we get an RP to IP converter?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Schmucky85

10-25-2012

I have bought 1 or 2 champs with RP in my 2 years of playing, but I have supported this game in other, non-gameplay content (mainly skins, will be buying ward skins!). I feel if you really want to get IP out of RP, go buy IP boosts. You shouldn't be able to pay to have this massive rune page ready to go, while someone who may be better at the game (and probably is, because getting IP for multiple full pages takes a lot of games, thus more practice) has a disadvantage to you.

I appreciate that Riot doesn't force me to spend RP to be good at this game, and I express that appreciation by not hesitating to buy new skins and content. Am I the biggest RP buyer of the year? Am I an enormous check to Riot every time a champ comes out? No. But I've been playing for 2 years and have a decent number of skins, and I feel the support I've given Riot through skins is proportionate to the time and fun I've had with league (a lot!), and hope to continue to have for the future.

Robbynn

10-25-2012

I have never bought a champion with RP. I work for my IP and understand the commitment that takes. Family banned me for a year because was not spending enough time with them. Now I have to earn enough to buy champions that I didn't have plus all the new ones. Slowly getting there. I understand the topic but understand also not doing it.

Riot has been very good in the past with hooking people up with a couple of points to have enough to buy something. I respect how Riot has done things with what to buy. I could totally play this game for free but I like skins. I am not spending tons of money either but happy for most part of what I have bought.

IntuitionaL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

I've always wondered will Riot ever provide a solution where you can use absolutely all of your credits or somehow make RP more rounded in numbers so that whenever you purchase/buy RP you have some sort of method to end back to 0 RP again.

DemiluniS

10-25-2012

I got about 80+ champions, 11 rune pages and all the runes I need for most of the champs over the course of 2 years, I didn't used RP to buy those things even once so your statement is irrelevant, I would like an IP to RP converter tho =D

Akesgeroth

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
I don't understand. How is Riot forcing you to buy champions?
You're opening a box which you should have left closed.

First of all, you DO have to buy champions. You can't seriously pretend someone can just use free week champions all the time. More champions means more versatility. Now, of course, you can buy them with IP, but since you guys decided to make every new champion cost 6300 ip and reduce IP rewards... On top of that, runes can only be bought with IP, which means buying champs with IP essentially gimps you unless you already have full rune pages.

Unlocking a single 6300 ip champion will easily take around 50 hours of gameplay. Pretending you don't mean for people to purchase them with RP is laughable, and pretending that it doesn't affect gameplay is absurd. And inevitably, if you keep this stance, you'll get compared to DotA 2, which is also free, but has all champions unlocked at the start and does not have a masteries/runes metagame that requires grinding. Their income comes entirely from cosmetic items, and know what? It works.

If the IP system was reasonable, there would not be an issue. But it isn't. IP gain rates are ridiculously slow unless you buy boosts (which cost RP, btw), which barely gets them into the "acceptable" range. Unless you spend RP on boosts and champions, you will remain crazy gimped for a long, LONG, LONG time.

It's like claiming someone working minimum wage can become a millionaire with that job. Sure, if he lives to be 600 years old, never has any accidents that force him to spend money and works the whole time and lives extremely poorly. Realistically though, it's a dubious claim. You'll buy the old champs at 450 ip and even then it'll prevent you from getting runes for a while. And let's not even count the cost of additional rune pages.

Kari Arisu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

Quote:
Because, unlike some games, Riot's model is to make you buy the content with either in-game currency [slow] or cash purchases [fast].

If you don't buy champions, you can't even play ranked, let alone be considered a half-decent player, since you will never be able to consistently play anyone with free week only.

Please do not try to sell us on how RP does not buy you power.
Yes, the things RP can buy you that IP cannot are very limited, but it also takes -much- longer to earn IP, and the pricing for both is very skewed.

But on-topic, I think RP > IP conversion does not need to exist. Not for the silly excuse we've been given, but because they'd pretty much make IP Boosts useless. Maybe they should make IP boosts cheaper so you could get 1 win/1 day for "leftover" RP amounts.

Daitrombe

10-25-2012

Quote:
I find this response very silly, the nature of the game does.

It is a competitive multiplayer game, you're forced to buy champions if you want to play in ranked, you're forced to buy champions if you want to play draft mode, you're forced to buy champions if you want to succeed at anything since you can't expect get far without playing multiple roles.

That said, none of this matters, the fact is most players buy champions, which means that if they had used RP, they could get both the champion and runes.

Daitrombe

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlanet View Post
Citation needed.

My personal feelings are along the lines of "why would anyone ever buy a champion with real money when they can get it with IP?"

I have 20k IP and nothing that I really want to spend it on immediately, at least until Elise comes out.

However I do feel that newer players have their work cut out for them.
I didn't mean to imply you're forced to buy champions with RP, but you're forced to buy champions at SOME POINT, not all the time, you bought champs in the past yes? Think about it for a second and realize you wouldn't have played this long if you didn't buy a single champion in the game.

What I mean is that with just ONE 6K champ you buy, you could've used RP and bought a ton of runes.

This quote is exactly what I mean:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinely View Post
Kiddington, what they're trying to say is:

If you buy a champion with RP, that you already have the IP for, you pretty much just gave them 6300 for 975 rp. so in a sense, you ARE converting the RP to IP, just indirectly, I've bought many champs with RP. I'm the only one of my friends who have more than 4 rune pages. sooooz that might have something to say about it

Edit: also with the forcing to buy champions thing, you NEED to have champions to play draft games, and ranked games, you cant play them without a certain amount.
Just think about it, how much IP would you have if you bought your champions with RP? That's 30000 IP after five champions.

Raisu

10-25-2012

Too much double-cue usage in this thread.

You're not forced to buy champions, whether its with RP or IP, as you're given free champions to play in weekly rotations.
RP to IP Conversion would allow people to buy runes with RP, which is (from my point of view) the 'selling power' argument.

Quote:
You can't seriously pretend someone can just use free week champions all the time.
Who's pretending? If someone would rather spend their IP on runes instead of champions then that is their choice.

Quote:
More champions means more versatility.
Versatility is a luxury. You don't need it, but its good to have.

Most of the arguments iv seen here to state that you're forced to buy this or that... are saying that you're forced to buy something that isn't needed.

Quote:
What I mean is that with just ONE 6K champ you buy, you could've used RP and bought a ton of runes.
So your argument is you had to make a decision between buying that new champion with IP, or getting some runes? There really is too much double-cue in this thread.

I hope you're not voting in the upcoming elections, cause you'd probably end up arguing about having to make a decision between one or the other and complain about "why can't they both be president"

Edit: After thinking about whether or not i'd continue to play the game without buying a single champion... My answer is Yes, I would still be playing.

Zekarie

10-25-2012

Wooooow. The difference is that IP is earned by actually playing the game and RP are earned through money. IP can buy you runes (which increase the power of your character) and RP cannot buy you runes. RP can buy you a way to earn MORE IP per victory but you still have to play to gain the IP to enpower your character. You cannot just throw money at the game and get a lvl 30 with 16 full rune pages. You still have to play the game and play it alot to fill those rune pages. Characters != power, runes = power.