Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Caster sion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Almitt

Adjudicator

07-31-2009

not my guide, credits to Kirby.net

Mastery Build:
Full utility, cooldown reduction is great.
Improved ghost is a must as well.

Summoner skills:
Flash
Ghost

Item build:
250 Mana stone
2 healing potions
Sheen
Boots of Swiftness
Magi Soulstealer
Lichbane
Abyssal Scepter
Frozen Heart/Zonya's Ring (if your games last this long I pity you)

Also possible to start with +7 mp5 and get the -10% cooldown/mp5/Ability power item (forget name). However sheen is essential and is needed it asap. It depends on how well you can creep, but if you return to base with enough money to buy sheen flat out get it instead of finishing the cool down reducer.

Skill Build:
Enrage
Stun
Enrage
Stun
Enrage
Lifesteal Ultimate
Stun
Stun
Stun
Shield
Shield
Shield
Shield
Shield
Enrage
Lifesteal Ultimate
Lifesteal Ultimate

Early Game:
Sion is one of the best last hitters in the game (second maybe only to Annie). Activate enrage and never take it off. Solo or not isn't really that important, but the person you lane with needs to be okay with not getting many creep kills (Sion is going to take them all). Don't worry too much about the enemy champs early on, but don't stay at full mana, throw a stun on whoever has the least regen on the enemy side.

Stun them and hit them once. Your enrage packs a punch even at low levels and a lucky crit is a big deal. Staying in the lane until you have at least 1300~ gold is important (rough cost of sheen and boots, after initial mana stone). Your purpose isn't to kill them (yet), it's to keep you in aggressive positioning in the lane while u own them at creeping.

Get ultimate at level 6 if you need a heal, its not that great offensively for this build though.

Once you get sheen and boots of swiftness:
The fun begins. I prefer staying in a lane to push towers (which Sion is good at with his high physical damage via enrage). Begin by stunning and hitting champions only one time, as before. By level 8, your stun + hit in coordination with sheen should be pretty brutal, a 500 hp champ is killable in most situations. After a stun hit, only chase a champ if you believe that the next stun and hit will be a kill; getting three stuns off while chasing a hero is unlikely. Using ghost and blink can add another stun and hit into your assault, but is situational.

Build Magi's as soon as possible.

When you begin to level up shield it will be kind of useless for a few levels. I generally only use the shield at these low levels to create another proc on Sheen and/or if I have tons of mana. At level 3 it becomes powerful enough to merit consistent use. Using shield can take some getting used to. The idea is to put shield up before you enter the fight, so that after you stun someone and run in your shield explosion will happen before the stun wears off. As your ability power gets higher, shield can also be used defensively, but in general you don't want shield to expire from damage, you want it to explode.

Late game/team fights:
This Sion is not a tank. You can not engage first without heavy support. Stay in the back with the other ranged on your team waiting for moments to throw a stun. If the target is in good position run in to do your sheen proc'ed hit, then ult to proc sheen/lichbane, then, if off cooldown, use shield to proc another sheen/lichbane. After these three sheen/lichbane hits, your damage is done until the next stun is off cool down which, ideally, is thrown at max range. Get out of the battle after your initial burst, unless your team has a big advantage, ofc.

Alternatively, if Sion has heavy support behind him (Soraka, Zilean, Morgana, or any significant aoe stun), using shield and blinking in as it is about to explode can be a good aoe burst to start the fight, but afterwards its usually a good idea to throw your stun, hit once, and then get out. Your ultimate would probably not get you through more than one person focusing on you.

General comments:
Make sure your team knows you're building a caster Sion, and explain that you can not initiate team battles easily. Be verbal about when you have extinguished your damage sequence of stun hit ult hit shield hit so your team knows you can not stay in to take hits.

The order of leveling stun and enrage can be played with, more creeping means level enrage.

jengo

07-31-2009

good guide, i lready ply similar to it, but i was using abilty power runes insted of cooldown reduction ill try cool down and see which is better.

Lollerman

07-31-2009

Kirby.net? You mean this information is posted elsewhere?

Berler

Recruiter

07-31-2009

this sounds like a pretty good guide. I'll have to try it out sometime. I love guides that are detailed like this (and especially a non-standard build)

Almitt

Adjudicator

07-31-2009

kirby.net is the new of the creator of the guide. it used to be on the old forums

Vangu

Recruiter

08-24-2009

I actually just followed this guide and I am kicking ass. I have only played Singed as a melee champion (and I do suck with him) but I figured I would give Sion a go...wow he is awesome.

Blackwolf23

08-27-2009

tnx very useful.....

Kenterik

Recruiter

11-13-2009

Caster Sion is so much fun

thx for guide

Xocolatl

Recruiter

11-15-2009

I'm eager to try out Sion, just because I have rarely ever seen him played elsewhere.
Is he fun as a tank? His spells looks painful, but they just don't quite interest me from tanking perspective. I kind of like his snowballing HP, but his play style seems so..nukey. Can you build him mainly with AP, throw on some AR and MR, a tad of HP, and rely on his snowballing HP to turn him into a tank?

I have been enjoying Nasus tank greatly lately, but he doesn't seem to have any spell to save his teammates with.

MajorChipHazzard

11-15-2009

Quote:
Xocolatl:
I'm eager to try out Sion, just because I have rarely ever seen him played elsewhere.
Is he fun as a tank? His spells looks painful, but they just don't quite interest me from tanking perspective. I kind of like his snowballing HP, but his play style seems so..nukey. Can you build him mainly with AP, throw on some AR and MR, a tad of HP, and rely on his snowballing HP to turn him into a tank?

I have been enjoying Nasus tank greatly lately, but he doesn't seem to have any spell to save his teammates with.

Sion can be built as a tank, yes, but you'd be surprised how tanky AP Sion is. Your enrage is going to give you more health than you'd expect from a typical Sion build because you should be able to 1-shot every creep wave with your shield fairly early on, netting you tons of permanent health. You won't have the armor or magic resist of a tank Sion but your health should be comparable and your shield will absorb a LOT of damage when you need it to.

Few things I noticed that the guide was missing:

- You can manually explode your shield after 4 seconds of it being up on you. This is critical to owning with AP sion, since manually exploding it will get your second shield up and ready to nuke more quickly. Basically if you have shield up and the icon looks like it's castable, you can explode it.

- You should ALWAYS have the golem buff up as AP sion. This build doesn't address any mana problems you might run into, but if you're specced full utility you should be able to keep the golem buff up for a while. Also this means you can spam shield-explode on creep waves and farm the crap out of them for maximum health bonuses from Enrage. If you're not farming the golem buff, you're not playing AP sion to his full potential, or anywhere close to it really.

Also if you're farming the golem buff, consider maxing out shield before maxing out your stun. Your burst damage on heroes will be the same, but your stun will be on a longer cooldown. However, this also means your stun isn't going to be your primary source of damage midgame so you can time it for the stun effect rather than blowing the cooldown early for the damage. Leveling shield first has two advantages: exponentially more damage in team fight situations, and it allows you to 1-shot creep waves faster. Which you should be able to do every wave with the golem buff. The stun's duration isn't all that bad too, when you consider the cooldown reduction from the golem buff.

- Frozen heart is actually a pretty terrible item choice on AP sion, but the game should be over before you get around to building it anyways. Your shield cooldown is 2 seconds (the *real* cooldown is the fact that it can't be exploded for 4 seconds) meaning frozen heart will have about 0 effect on it, and your stun's cooldown is already very low as-is. Since the latest patch I'd say void staff would be the natural replacement for frozen heart anyways.