What is tops job?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Notorious P I P

10-23-2012

Generally what are you looking for out of your top lane? I play a really good rumble top, I rarely lose my lane and usually snowball, but is there some specific role top normally plays or is it a toss up?

Elodin

10-23-2012

Win your lane by getting more farm than the other person/denying them farm/getting kills if you can.

You want to do what every lane wants to do, get lots of gold and don't lose your tower/feed.

Fifth Scheme

10-23-2012

The predominance in the current meta is that the top is a bruiser DPS based champion. They can take a beating while dishing out damage, has abilities that either peel for their carries or can dive for theirs.

Examples are :

Darius - pull for peel or engage
Olaf - Ult for diving enemy carry
Akali - diving carries, shroud for sustain and hiding amongst enemy lines
Jayce (an exception, he's generally not very tanky) - hammer blowback for peel or repositioning enemy carry. Lots of poke to weaken frontline for better engage
Cho'Gath - Knockup for peel or carry disruption, Silence for the same, true damage ult for chunking their carries and forcing their retreat or chunking other bruisers and tank. Generally takes a lot of damage from the enemy by being a front line tank.
Malphite, Singed, Yorick, Irelia - All similar abilities and functions as above.

Rumble and Vlad are generally top lane picks that form a double AP composition and usually function as an AOE AP mid for the game. They are usually chosen if the AP mid is playing a hard AD counter such a Talon/Xin Zhao or just any old assassin such as Fizz, Akali, Kassadin, Diana. This forces their team to pack a lot more magic resist which can be a good or bad thing depending on their champ select.

Depending on the top, they usually either push their lane and roam for ganks, counterjungle (Darius, Yorick, Jayce), or just build up armor and farm for late game teamfights (Cho, Irelia, Singed, Malphite)

Your role depends on your champ, your team comp, and the enemy team comp.

If the enemy team has a lot of gap closers and is using them to dive your carries, you should alternate between peeling for your carries and getting theirs.

If the enemy team has a lot of range poke and AOE, you should be playing a champ with an engage of some sort (either your own or Shurelya's from your support is good) and be able to pick out their carries while taking lots of damage.

If the enemy team is tanky as hell, it's a war of attrition and the champion with the most disruption and health/tankiness will win, provided you can keep your carry alive.

Edit : So I just checked out your record of matches and I noticed it's not very indicative of your top play. You are on a losing streak but I think mostly because you probably are the guy who fills in any role. I would continue playing top if I were you as you have a good rumble record and identify what you can do better; acquire higher CS scores, less deaths per laning phase, experiment with roaming and stealing their jungle and ganking mid, positioning in teamfights, map awareness, warding.

Hirumonogatari

10-23-2012

there are actually only two roles for everyone else in the team beside the carry.

1) peel and protect your carry.
2) kill the enemy carry.

it's really that simple.