Question About Akali Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cierae

10-23-2012

Heya,

I recently acquired Akali and I was looking around at some guides on how to build her.

I notice that a lot of the guides (if not all of them) advocate 7 Greater Marks of Strength in order to activate the lifesteal from her passive. Since I only have 2 run pages this means I either switch each time I play her or get another page just for her.

However, my question is this: would I not get the same thing if I just bought a Doran's Blade early? Wouldn't a Doran's Blade be enough to activate her passive and then allow me to stack the runes with full Magic Pen or AP runes for greater damage?

If this is the case, why don't more people do that instead? Isn't it more damage in the long run?

Thanks in advance!

jmgr4y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2012

Here's the problem with that. And this post gets posted like every day....

If you start dorans blade, and I start boots pots... I'm going to destroy you, 100% of the time.

Why waste your move speed and sustain just so you can have a *pretty* rune / mastery page? Its just not cost effective at all and besides, if you can start boots/pots you NEVER need to waste your time getting any AD items and your passive can end up dealing like 70% bonus damage with pure ap items

jmgr4y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2012

I saw a bunch of different rune/mastery set-ups on someone's post about this same thing yesterday but I feel like mine are superior (though I'm sure everyone does).

Here's my set-up:
reds: 7 ad, 2 mpen
yellows: scaling hp
blues: flat ap
quints: 1 move speed, 1 flat ap, 1 flat hp

Then the basic 21-9-0 masteries (getting the point in ignite, 3 points in ad and then purely down the ap. then down defense i get the hp masteries).

You won't have both passives until lvl 3 unless you use ignite (summoner spell mastery point) but it's rare you'll go for first blood that early anyway (unless you have some serious advantage over your opponent).

You'll be the tankiest akali ever, you can lane vs bruisers early game yet you still deal all the damage of a more *glass cannon* type early game set-up. Even when I've been countered by the enemy laner I've never (litterally never) had a bad game with akali because even if you dont have a great laning phase you easily can just run around ganking everywhere bursting down squishies and getting fed off of kills/assists. When Akali hits 6, its game over.

Cierae

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgr4y View Post
Here's the problem with that. And this post gets posted like every day....

If you start dorans blade, and I start boots pots... I'm going to destroy you, 100% of the time.

Why waste your move speed and sustain just so you can have a *pretty* rune / mastery page? Its just not cost effective at all and besides, if you can start boots/pots you NEVER need to waste your time getting any AD items and your passive can end up dealing like 70% bonus damage with pure ap items
I did a search but didn't see the same question posted. Of course the LOL forums are wonky for me on a mobile here but I didn't see what I was looking for.

Also, it's not about having a "pretty" rune page - I just didn't know if the difference was worth it in the long run - since I figured more AP runes contributes more to your champ over time than a small lifesteal that can be gained with a Doran's which itself can be replaced by something more useful later.

I'm no pro, I just thought it was worth asking.

jmgr4y

10-23-2012

It is worth asking, and by no means am I pro either. I love akali and she was one of my first rune pages I set up. I'd say getting your passive as early as possible WHILE starting boots/pots is the most important thing about her.

I've tried starting dorans blade, tried starting longsword and pots etc. I'll put it this way, move speed op.

beeread

10-23-2012

This response probably won't help, but a lot of high elo players have two rune pages. you're runes and itemization won't matter if you can out-skill your opponent. Ofc you'll be playing people around you're skill level, so ideally you would want that rune page in the first post, however, due to restraints i'd say it isn't worth it to get another rune page, unless you're going to be playing akali forever.

Fifth Scheme

10-23-2012

Akali needs a dedicated rune page. It is worth it. I bought extra rune pages just so I could keep hers separate. The extra lifesteal will keep you alive and healthy as the enemy pokes you while you farm. Then, when you reach 6 and hopefully have purchased Hextech revolver, you'll be vamping a crapload of health. What I tend to do is go in for a full combo, generally trade 1 for 1, we may both be at half health at this point, then spell vamp the rest of my health back with Q-autoattack combo on minions. This prepares me for another dive, at which point the enemy will not have regained as much health as I have.

The enemy should B at this point if they are smart, but you'll find that people vastly underestimate Akali. Beware however, that you place wards. If they are smart, they will have called a jungler to bait out your attack. Sometimes even this doesn't matter, as you can burst down a half-health enemy quickly enough to reset your ultimate and use it to jump to an enemy minion for escape. Oh yeah, always keep enemy minions around when you are diving or engaging, just in case you need that jump.

Do abuse the fact that your soul shround provides a MR/Armor buff while in it. I've survived engagements hovering around 100-200 health spellvamping in my shroud.

I use Westrice's Akali setup with one change; all the AP runes in his page I change to AP/lvl for exactly 51 AP at level 18. This activates my passive at level 3. Why? Because I don't go for heavy engages before level 6. I use my shroud and Q to farm and then snowball the lane from there. The AP you gain from per level runes outscales flat AP by 6 anyways, so there's no reason to start with that passive unless you are planning level 1-5 early ganks from your team jungler. I don't. As Akali, I play a self-sufficient top or mid lane so other lanes get the benefit of the jungler while I snowball my lane and roam.

Directw

10-23-2012

I have never played Akali before, but this post makes me thinking:
why not using AP champion runes/mastery and start with doran blade?

My AP runes are: 9 mpen red, 9 armor yellow, 9 flat ap blue, 3 flat ap purple. These runes gives me a total of 26 ap at start. With doran blade's 10 ad, Akali can active her both passive. Doran blade also gives extra hp and life steal for Akali's early game survival.

Mestaaja

10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directw View Post
I have never played Akali before, but this post makes me thinking:
why not using AP champion runes/mastery and start with doran blade?

My AP runes are: 9 mpen red, 9 armor yellow, 9 flat ap blue, 3 flat ap purple. These runes gives me a total of 26 ap at start. With doran blade's 10 ad, Akali can active her both passive. Doran blade also gives extra hp and life steal for Akali's early game survival.
Just look up the math, or read the thread. I won't even go into the fact that starting boots gives you mobility which keeps you alive, since you don't have any escapes except your shroud.
Starting with 3 health pots gives you 450 health regen over time, when you need it.
With 3% lifesteal from doran's blade you'd need to do 15000 points of damage to gain the same amount of health back, and you can't recover from a burst hit as you can with a pot.
Now Akali starts with 53 damage (+3.2/level), so quick math gives us easily over 200 autoattacks in order to regain the same health as those 3 health potions.
And no, I did not calculate in the extra 9% magic damage you will get from your mighty 26 ap. Because it is inconsequential. I guarantee you will be dead or pushed out of lane before that.
But if you would start with flat ad marks in order to proc +10 ad @ level 1, you get the same 8% spell vamp as with your doran's blade, but instead you can start with 3 health potions and boots, which I guarantee is way better than some extra magic pen for your early game survival.

Filmslinger

10-24-2012

Is it possible to get the passives before summoner level 20? I mean is it worth it to buy Akali before you can get t3 runes?