Racism in the game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Expl0d3

10-23-2012

This is something I see every day when I play, every day you play, someone always calls me Mexican or br for the simple fact of speaking Spanish with my friends in the middle of a game, I'm sick of q treat me well for not knowing much English, the truth is that almost can not play without getting angry because you called Mexican or br, q is something Riot should take into account and do about it, even if he is in there right NA also dealing players for a spoiled child who believes that q speak another language are inferior to the

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2012

Communicate with your team. Calling someone Mexican or br isn't racism - if they're using racial slurs, that's one thing, but simply being disgusted with you for rambling on in spanish with an english speaking team is totally understandable.

If you have an english team, please speak english.

3rdStorm

10-25-2012

From my experience I havnt seen alot of positive ambassadors for foreign languages in the north american servers. I believe understanding basic English is kind of expected on the north armerica servers. Else you should probably play with your own 5 man team of friends that all speak Spanish.

To avoid frustrating your teammates maybe inform them english isnt your first language but you understand the basic lol terminology. Communication is a big part of the game and its very frustrating when its not present.

If people are being racist I suggest you add them to your ignore list and report them after the game.

Statik Shock

10-25-2012

You're playing a North American game with servers based in North America (more specifically the USA) and ran by a North American Company (based in the USA) where the most common language spoken (of the USA) is English. Ya don't say they get mad at you when you speak another language.

Jorjastortas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-25-2012

I agree with the people here, I'm Mexican, I speak Spanish indeed, nothing wrong with that, but I tend to speak English when I'm playing almost any video game, why? because 90% of the gamers communities use English as base language and to be honest, the Spanish speakers just tend to convert the in game chat on a place to talk about their daily life and don't play at all, and I found that a little annoying, even in English, looks almost like messenger... hideous

the point is, to be called Mexican is not racist, it's just ignorance of the people that mix countries.

BamGfAsRpd

10-26-2012

I am going to ask you, is being mexican or br bad? Because you can call me white, and I should feel insulted because of me calling you mexican? Not logic.

KaosReigns

10-26-2012

Im confused atm.... Where is the Racism HUD in LoL? I could be lost..... *looks around* Nope, seems like the In-Game HUD Section to me.... hmmm

BTW - Pancakes or Waffles? I got my money on Waffles.

JupiteI

11-02-2012

I am mexican and I play on the NA server. I always speak english to communicate with my american teammates because I understand that communication is the most important thing in a team-based game. BUT, there have been time where I play with my friends (who are mexicans as well) and we all speak english all the time (thankfully, we all had the chance to study english since we were all kids), but whenever we feel like saying something in spanish to each other in the chat, even if it is only one word, some people start to be racist with us. And I know that calling someone ''mexican'' or ''brazilian'' is not racism, but it is when they start calling you ''****ing mexican'', ''mexican ****tards'', ''omfg, more ****ing mexicans'', ''****, hate playing with mexicans'', ''taco taco burrito'', ''go mow my lawn ****ing mexican''. That's when the racism starts and I see this very often when I'm playing with my ranked team (Our team name is Mexican Army). Whenever we get into a ranked team match, after the first minute of the game, the enemy team has already said about 4 to 5 racist jokes or they have already insulted us just because we are mexicans. This is the kind of racist behavior that I see very often on League of legends and I really think that Riot should do something about it because mexicans are not the only ones who are being discriminated, brazilians, turks, even some koreans and russians are discriminated just because they can't speak english. Racism is something that shouldn't be tolerated even if this is just a game. Not all mexicans are trolls. Not all mexicans can speak english. We are not asking to be loved or admired, we only ask for some respect because we are all humans anyways, we all have two hands, two eye, a mind, etc. Maybe an hispanic server would help to evade the racism for some people, but still, if the racist poeple started to respect and treat everyone like the human being they are in spite of their culture, ethnicity, language or nationality, LoL community would be a lot better. Just my thoughts.

BTM, @KaosReigns: Waffles are the way to go.

Rightbrain

11-07-2012

had the same problem today, you are on an english server, speak english!

AdunSaveMe

11-08-2012

It's totally fine if people want to talk with their friends in their own language. But what really bugs me is people that don't know any english at all that play on the NA servers, which is full of primarily english-speaking players. They can't or don't communicate with their team at all literally because of their nationality.