Learning Ap mid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheByte

10-23-2012

Hey Guys,
I have been trying to learn mid, it has been an interesting process. (it's not going very well)
I finally saved up 6300 IP and am trying to decide what champion to buy and learn. This way I can learn a new champion and practice mid. I already own Vladimir (I'm no bad as him,) Gragas (I'm terribad,) and TF (getting better.)
What AP mids do you love and why?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2012

I would recommend getting someone that has an escape. Its hard enough trying to focus last hitting and dodging skillshots, without worrying about getting ganked every few minutes. With my luck, my team never ever ganks mid even when grossly overextended, and OP Lee manages to land dat Q-gapcloser for 1000 range off when I get CCed by the enemy mid.

While some mids are really good, having one with a free getaway button is very very valuable. Vlad's got his trollpool, Gragas has his Dash, Morgana has the pointblank snare-to-the-face, her anti-CC shield, and her Ult even to discourage ganks.
Ahri has her longrange skillshots to harass and her Ult lets her escape from anything.

Ur little sister

10-23-2012

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...id-lane-196672
I wrote a guide on that once. Big guide. Not meant to be read in 1 go.

jmgr4y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2012

I'll put it this way, you're not trying to use the easiest champions. Vlad and grag can both be tricky. TF is NOT good for an *unskilled player* (no offense meant) but if you cant hit his card perfectly every time and hit his skill shot you're essentially useless.

Some easy mids to dominate with: Morgana, Teemo, Karthus, Kennen and Ahri.

Of those I'd have to say your best bet as a easy to use yet highly viable champion is Ahri. Morgana may be one of the top3 mids in the whole game but again, if you cant hit your skill shot you're useless. Ahri's skill shot is just way easier to land, goes through minions and she can triple ult to both secure a kill and escape any non-hard cc gank.

Phantaztick

10-23-2012

It can not be stressed enough: when in mid, be aware of the map. Ward the sides if you can, watch your chat for mia's, know if there is a jungler on the enemy side. I use Heimer and Xerath in mid, and on occation I've run mid with Kog, but not often. They're not the easiest to play, but I love them. Ziggs is also good for clearing waves of minions and he's free to play right now if you want to try him.

NetherGas

10-23-2012

Kennen!! Also 3 movement speed quints with boots is great in mid

Shesocold

10-23-2012

First some key tips
#1 don't bother harassing until level 5 unless you have blue buff because you don't get enough damage for the mana
#2 last hit like crazy! I've faced lanes where I get killed twice to their once and massively out farmed them and the game was over from there with them having to constantly focus me
#3 don't get caught up in a harass and use too much mana spamming your abilities

And as far as the mid champ goes it's whatever playstyle you like. Personally I would recommend playing Ahri because you have an escape you have multiple ways to play with great utility and she forces you to learn how to learn skill shots or die aka her charm. Vlad is also a very strong choice since he has great lane sustain and pretty decent damage. Gragas is ok but I've never been a fan of him. Kennen is great and TF is good.

Best Knar Africa

10-23-2012

If you can get 6300 IP, then you should spend 3150 on Katarina. She is an excellent AP mid. She WILL take a LOT of practice to get good at, so make sure you are willing to commit.

Astral Yorae

10-23-2012

Hey TheByte, add me and we can talk better in game. Will be glad to help.

Hughes De Payens

10-24-2012

I main mid for my team, and have mained mid for months now. My primary mids are these 3, so I'll give you my opinion on each and you can decide which, if any, sounds like your kind of champion.

Cassiopeia - Does ridiculous sustained damage with her poison and her E. 3 of her skills are skillshots, which includes her ridiculous ult, and her E is only useful if you hit either your Q or W, so even that's sort of a "skillshot" in that sense. She brings a lot of team utility with her ultimate, as it can be used as a follow-up to various initiations like Amumu and Malphite, which keeps the enemy team stuck together for long enough for you to approach and fire it off. In case you're not aware, her ult is a huge AOE stun that has pretty high AP scaling as well so it does a big burst of damage.

Kennen - A strong AOE AP champion who has a fun passive to use. He can chain stuns on a single target and follow up a strong initiation (or even initiate himself if he has zhonya's) and is easily capable of stunning an entire team while doing decently large damage of his own. Early game Hextech Revolver is powerful on him because he's an energy champion so spamming is totally fine, so he's got great lane sustain. His E is among the best escapes in the game that any AP Mid has, so you're pretty safe in lane.

Ryze - Likely the tankiest of all the AP mids in late game. He builds Frozen Heart and Banshee's veil as part of his core build, along with a GA, and his ult gives spellvamp. Also, he has no skillshots, which makes him easier to get a good effect out of. Use smartcast for epic facerolls. His passive is among the most fun in the game... every time you cast a spell, each other spell's cooldown timer is reduced by 1 second. You can often cast your ult twice in one fight. He can solo most champions in the game by mid-game, because his damage is so strong and he's hard to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesocold View Post
First some key tips
#1 don't bother harassing until level 5 unless you have blue buff because you don't get enough damage for the mana
#2 last hit like crazy! I've faced lanes where I get killed twice to their once and massively out farmed them and the game was over from there with them having to constantly focus me
#3 don't get caught up in a harass and use too much mana spamming your abilities
#2 is sound advice, but #1 and #3 are not. You want to harass if you can get free damage or out trade them, this will let you zone them out of getting CS or force them to B, so you can push to their tower and B yourself while denying them EXP and CS. If they're really bad, you will get a kill out of it, which is even better.

The last thing to say about Mid is the most important no matter which champion you use.

Never give your opponent free damage. You can't afford it. If they come in and do big damage to you, the natural reaction is to run back - DO NOT DO THIS. Remember, they have cooldowns. If they do big damage to you, they can't do it again for a bit, so use this time to hurt them back. As soon as they get free damage on you, they can get ahead in lane. Learn the enemy mids, each matchup is different.