Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How is alistar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

10-23-2012

Alistar has lots of base health so you focus on armor/MR.

Frozen Heart is fantastic for him. Lots of armor, much needed CDR, some extra mana for sustained fights.

Ionic Boots are my choice. You dont need most of the Reverie stats. With most masteries it maxes your CDR which is huge. I dont see getting CCed as that big of a deal. Not like he is an autoattacker and needs to stick to the enemy.

Aegis gives a bit of everything and shares, making it a good choice.

A negatron can give even more MR if needed. Still youve got 50ish base +25runes +40 aegis which ought to be enough.

From there you start looking at triforce. Keep in mind that Alistar can win 1v1 fights vs melee guys just by virtue of his CC. Jax jumps on you.. Knockup and get in a few hits, then Knockback. Back off. he comes back.... Knockup...repeat. he can also knock into the wall for a mini-stun and with maxed CDR he can keep them stunned about 1/2 the time.

Remember that his ULT gives a ton of free tankiness, which is why support Alistar works so well with minimal items on SR. Hence you don't have to have a huge effective health since he can Ult and be very very hard to kill in key situations. That said you want to get decent EHP so you can multiply it with your ult and be tanky all the time. But I agree to not overdo it.

Duelpower

10-23-2012

You use reverie to team initiate and during ganks. The stats besides cdr are just icing on the cake.

A12MO12

10-23-2012

Personally i go with a different build for alistar.

-merc/lucidity/tabi: dependent on team you face
-Hextech sweeper ( ap, CDR and health with good passive)
-shurelias( CDR , health, good active)
-Frozen heart (core item since it gives mana, CDR and armor)
-Negatron into a odyns eventually.
-you can either do Trinity or alternative wits end and ionic spark
-situational defensive item (wardens or thorn or another MR item)

Trinity is very expensive so i don't really like getting it. A very good alternative is wits end and ionic spark which will make u deal magic dmg quite quickly while also building faster then trinity.

Infirc

10-23-2012

if an TankAlistar is sitting on your bot Turret visible to anyone, don't go there just Zerg another point he'll probably just fap at your bot turret while his team is Losing thanks to your team outnumbering his team on every single teamfight where he's fapping at your bot turret. /little rant

Alistar is great he can use ANY stat on the game and is godamn hard to get out of turrets wetherr enemy turrets or allied turrets You should always Look to build a Fh and cdr boots with AListar since he's a cc Machine and his ultimate covers al the Tenacity you'll ever need the rest ar eoptional counterbuild items, but as a whole thiis is what you want on ALi

-Cdr
-Health
-Mr/Armor, usually a healthy mix of both you can trade one for other if you feel they are lacking on certain type of damage (like low ELos where you barely see Aps and so you just get moar armors) but as a rule of thumb try to get a healthy Mix of both.

FDru

10-23-2012

Alistar is so good with a full tank + triforce build. The problem is that you'll never get enough money to complete that build in the average game. Best to just try to tank (get max CDR), and have a good team to follow up on it.

Octovert

10-23-2012

Alister is a dominion MVP when he has a team, or at least a partner, who is prepared to capitalize on what he has to offer. By himself he can hold out for a while on a point, but ultimately he will die if he has to play by himself. I've had some great games with a squishy damage dealer like fiddlesticks, where I can knock people away from him, but back toward him when he's trying to drain. Works with any number of characters.

I especially enjoy alistar when playing with others with knockups/knockbacks. Blitzcrank is a personal favorite. We call it playing volleyball with other players. And blitz can do enough damage to actually help kill someone.

Sir Bulldog

10-23-2012

Build him tanky. That's step 1. Step 2 is to practice, practice, and practice. Alistar has a learning curve on dominion. Once you master him, he's amazing.

Critical Error

Recruiter

10-23-2012

Honestly, he is one of the most frustrating champs to play with. I know people will not agree with me, but I would likely put him as a ban, personally.

People hit it on the head, build him tanky. He doesnt need to build for damage, it comes pre-loaded. The spells seem like long CDs, but realize how much CC he is. He can lock you down for a very long time; he can take hits during time you arent lock down for a very long time; and in that time, his damage will kill you.

He is the only tank I fear in Dom. If you get near him, his CC will mean you are dead in team fights. And, like I said, he can actually kill people alone due to his tankiness and CC. Other tanks can be useful, not nobody is as disruptive as Ali (Blitz is also good, but it isnt the same, Blitz can turn a fight into a 1v4, which allows you to team fight as 3v4, but he doesnt have the "DANGER ZONE" that is Ali).