Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Warding and other support techniques

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Glaedien

Recruiter

10-22-2012

Ok, so I'm trying to learn a bit about each role so that if I'm eventually forced into one once I'm able to play ranked, I won't be completely helpless.

Right now I'm working on learning support. I've been playing intermediate bot matches to get a feel of how to actually support, but they're not exactly ideal for warding.

I've come across this image http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6602/wardguide.jpg
which is what I'm using as a base for my warding, but I'd like a few tips that go beyond placement. Like, when should I start warding? Immediately? About level 4 where jungle ganks have been most common (for me at least). Idk just stuff like that that goes beyond place it here here and here. Any advice is greatly appreciated, whether it's for warding or supporting in general.

Duridface

10-22-2012

sooner than level 4, if the enemy jungle is one that can gank at level 2 or starts on your side (especially if you are purple and they have a non-mana jungler that starts at red, which can lead to an very dangerous early gank situation.

Sereg Anfaug

10-22-2012

I usually ward the river at about 2 minutes. This should protect you from level 2 ganks, as well as allow you to see if the other support places a ward in the same area. My preferred warding location is just under the dragon pit, between the tribush and the river bush. If I have enough wards, if dragon is a likely objective, or if I'm being ganked through the tribush alot, I'll ward dragon(also the blue jungle exit, so doubly useful) and tribush. If I suspect or know that there's an enemy vision ward in the river, I'll ward the top of the river bush. If the enemy support or jungle is frequently using the lane bushes to their advantage, I'll ward the relevant bush.

Later on, objectives, jungle exits, and sometimes jungle routes become the best places to ward. This includes dragon, baron, wraiths on both sides, and the long jungle bush behind the golem pit, and/or the nearby river bush at that entrance.

Finally, during a siege, warding over the walls of the base is a good technique to give you vision on the opposing team.

If you're warding against an oracle, change up your locations... back of dragon and baron pits, rather then the front, for example. Similarly, if you notice the enemy team frequently exploiting a certain route or location, usually in the jungle, ward around that area. It can also be worthwhile to ward lanes, if multiple towers are down and your own minion waves are unlikely to reach the area where you want vision.

Hope this helps.

Qsario

10-22-2012

Who are you warding against? Think about that. You need to know your opponents and what they can do, not just the guidebook stuff.

Like they said, who's the jungler? I quote from a jungler guide I red: "most junglers gank at level 2, 6 or never." If they start at red buff, expect a level 2 gank and ward accordingly (tri-bush or river bush). Also use pink wards to deny sight at key locations (which bush is key? whichever one the killing happens from in this particular game).

Other than that, you ward objectives (buffs, dragon, baron), the river and whatever bushes fights will happen near. You're taking a tower and pushing deep? Drop a ward or two off to the side so you can all pull out when the enemy team comes back up instead of dying to take the tower. Shaco stealing buffs? Ward your jungle and punish him 3v1 with the jungler.

Are you fighting in their base? Drop a ward in there, see what they're doing. Are they in your base? Drop one over the wall, so you can see them milling around out there, especially when Blitz has one in your base and plans to yank someone over the wall for a gank.

And don't forget Oracles to shut down Teemo/Wukong/Shaco/Evelyn. If you can't afford that, go for a pink ward in a key spot. Just remember that pinks can't see inside bushes (unless they're in the bush). Watched someone waste their pink outside the river bush. There was a pink inside the river bush. So their ward was completely wasted.

If you've watched those "field of mushrooms" Teemo troll videos, you may have noticed that no one on the other team had that little pink eye over their head from an Oracle's. That's because the people with those eyes were laughing at Teemo for giving them tons of free gold instead of ending up on his YouTube channel.

FaerellG

10-22-2012

That image is ok, but it over simplifies things greatly.

Certainly, you try to ward things for optimal coverage. By coverage, I mean simple knowledge of where your opponent is going, so you try to ward intersections that you know your opponent is most likely to go through.

You also have to consider objectives. Are you warding to prevent a gank or set up a gank? To know where your opponent is simply so you can counter jungle? Or perhaps take Dragon or Baron?

You also have to account for counter-warding. Once counter warding starts, things become strange, and there are some highly situational drops you want to do. For example. If they have oracles, you don't want to place your ward in the middle of the river outside of baron or dragon. Easily spotted and destroyed by oracles. Instead, if you drop it at the far back wall of the dragon or baron nest, or perhaps right around the lip of the entrance, they might miss it. Baron being extremely big and tall, you can pt it behind baron so that baron's sprite covers up the ward making it hard to click on to kill. So those are counterward drops that are frequently used. Not optimal in terms of vision, but optimal in terms of "not getting killed while still giving you some information".

There are timing drops too. For instance, you sometimes will drop right behind the back of baron so you can spot people coming to steal dragon or baron. Sure, if you planned it out ahead of time, you can have various crossroads warded so you'll see them coming, but very often, the timing is critical and so is your positioning. You often need the entire team there for kill baron or dragon and you need vision fast and cant afford to run all the way around the walls and jungle to drop the ward. Sometimes, it's too dangerous, if you're spotted, you'll get killed, or perhaps even alert an otherwise unaware team that you're taking a jungle objective. These are all factors to consider when warding.

I will refer you to this guide which I feel is much better than the simplistic image that you have.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=237436

Glaedien

Recruiter

10-23-2012

Thanks for the tips so far people ^^ Kinda sad Sona's free week is over. Guess I'll move onto Janna until I can actually buy my own support character. Should've tried out Soraka last week though>_>

Ur little sister

10-23-2012

1. Know the ennemy jungler and bot teamcomps
Know what the 3 of them are capable of, and what their weaknesses are. Early ganks bot are rare, but possible. Not all junglers have the same ganking possibilities, and not all lanes have the same followup potential. Some junglers (Alistar, Shaco) can gank bottom lane early if they choose to. They will most likely do so if your opponents have a burst comp or cc (eg burst: graves + sona. eg cc: taric + caitlyn).

obviously, you need to know gank routes as well. The river and direct ganks are obviously the most common routes, but some champions have other options:

• Evelynn can bypass vision wards
  • Shaco can use deceive to gank from pretty odd angles
  • Javan IV can use his EQ combo to jump straight into the river brush from behind the ledge near purple team's blue buff. Won't be seen unless that brush is warded
  • Nocturne can use his ult to... well, you know.

2. Zoning
Support is the leading role in bot lane. Support makes the plays, and support guides the zoning. If your side gets zoned, your AD's farm becomes impaired and your team falls behind. As support, your job is to wage a zone wars to try and acheive this against your opponents, or prevent this with your own team.
Control of the sidebrushes is immensely important (hence the strength of Alistar, Blitzcrank and Taric). There should be a big zone wars going on bot over those brushes, and wards are a potent tool in the quest.

3. Counterwarding
I'm not that amazing at it myself :/. But obviously, pink wards are immensely strong in the mentioned zone wars.

4. WHEN to go ward
Or when definately NOT to go ward. Do NOT go ward the river midgame when your lane is getting pushed. Warding the river puts your team out of position for a lil bit. If this coincides with the lane getting pushed to your side, you can get caught out of place so far that somebody's gonna die. If the game has advanced far enough, this means you'll ppb lose your turret or a dragon. Best time to go ward the river is when your lane is pushing and when you know that the ennemy jungler is not near where you're going.
Warding the river in the wrong moment against the wrong comp can cost you your lane. And a lot of supports don't even realize it... :s

5. Combowarding
1 ward is good. 2 wards are 3 times as good. If you place them well that is!
By placing several wards in strategic locations, you can acheive greatness. Imagine you're afraid of getting ganked from the river. If you only have 1 ward and are on purple side, you can't place it near dragon, cause it leaves open ganks via the tribrush. Placing it in the tribrush leaves open ganks from dragon, and placing it in the brush next to the lane gives you a fairly late warning (also, tribrush into lane ganks are dangerous). All the ward locations have their advantages and disadvantages.

Now get 2 wards, and let's go over the same situation. This time, ward your blue opponent's wraiths and bottom tribrush. You've effectively warded off all the exits from his bottom half of the jungle. He cannot counterjungle your jungler's blue buff or wolves unnoticed, and ganks through the river are taken care of for both you and your mid laner's bottom half. Now that's a ward combo!
Notice that if you'd ward dragon and tribrush, you'd spend 2 wards as well, and the result you'd acheive wouldn't be nearly as strong. Obviously though, it's advisable to have your mid or jungler take care of the wraith ward as the long walk would deprive you of too much xp and lane control.

By now, you might be starting to realize that support is the more difficult role of the 2 bot lane roles

FaerellG

10-23-2012

I would say that Support is more mentally challenging as you have a ton of things to think and keep track of. While AD is more technically challenging. Certainly, there are technically skilled plays a support can use, but an AD has to be technically proficient every time they go into last hit and avoid harass.

Enfillyon

10-23-2012

i only skimmed through this thread and I dont think it was touched on (correct me please if im wrong) but you can place wards safely by clicking on the wall.

the ward will teleport to the otherside of the wall should you click in the right place. this also applies to blinks and flash(?)
you can see people put wards that are otherwise out of their reach by doing this and thus safely gain vision

there was a video on how to do it but i cant seem to find it. either way just hop into a practice game and try placing a bunch of wards into a wall to see where it will come out. just remember to toss them near the edge you want it to come out of

bob000

10-24-2012

It heavily depends on the jungler and enemy support.