counter ap yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Notorious P I P

10-22-2012

How do you counter ap yi? The past 4 games my teams mid carry has been getting decimated by him and then he snowballs out of control. Is there any counter to him or is it just a broken way to play him? Stacking magic resist doesnt help because then my dmg cant keep up to kill him. When he is almost dead he channels his W and gets back to full hp. This build cannot be working as riot intended. Maybe you guys know a good way to stop him that I cant think of.

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2012

AP yi requires himself to charge into your team to do damage, which means that as long as you guys don't die instantly, you will be able to stop him.

His W is easily interruptable with any form of CC but slow, so save one silence, fear, stun, knock up, etc. before he uses his W, once you interrupt that he is trashed.

He is not OP, and the build is not really intended, but nonetheless it is a legit build in a way.

Notorious P I P

10-22-2012

ok cool thanks.

Evolnemesis

10-22-2012

AP Yi is strong in lane vs a lot of mages... his AP build is basically an assassin, and assassins are strong against mages in general... he actually can counter a lot of common mid champs, he is a little anti-meta in that way, kind of like putting talon or eve mid... also why kass wins a lot in mid vs a lot of common mages, he is also an assassin.

The way to beat that 100% is to just swap lanes... let a tanky dps or carry with good range take mid, and Yi won't be able to do anything in lane.

If you can't do that, mage should play safely but also harass him whenever safely possible, try to get him low and make him blow meditate so he's vulnerable to a real kill attempt... the jungler can babysit mid and gank him after the mage or a previous gank attempt makes him blow meditate... he tends to push very hard so he can be quite vulnerable if he wants to farm.

That's his main weakness in lane, he can't harass without pushing his lane hard (that and the fact that alpha strike and meditate both have pretty long cooldowns, so he's weak to champs that can do good sustained damage to him).

Eggochiggo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2012

You should not be harrassing Yi pre-6 and a few items, you will waste your mana and he will heal to full health for 50 mana, it is nearly impossible to kill him. Just use your mana to get as much farm as possible and stand back so he can't hit you.

Evolnemesis

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggochiggo View Post
You should not be harrassing Yi pre-6 and a few items, you will waste your mana and he will heal to full health for 50 mana, it is nearly impossible to kill him. Just use your mana to get as much farm as possible and stand back so he can't hit you.
Agree, farm farm and play passive... but that doesn't mean let him walk all over you... if he is going to be aggressive on you, MAKE him blow meditate... and make it so he has to worry about your damage killing him if he doesn't meditate or he's already blown it... it has a long cooldown, it at least gives a 20-30 second window for him to be gankable and during that period he will have to actually be a little more passive if he wants to be safe... it can get some of his pressure off of you, and if you can get a few ganks on him too, he will be totally shut down.

I do think his low mana costs/high mana sustain in lane is a little bit much though... I don't think I have EVER seen one run out of mana or even come close... even while spamming harass and being very aggressive.

Notorious P I P

10-22-2012

I dunno I seemed to do ok with sona against him in teamfights, but having to hold onto my ult for him instead of when it would be best for a normal teamfight is pretty aggravating. I normally dont get to mid. I usually am forced to play support because all the other players call their lanes and say they will feed if they dont get them.

He is just a frustrating champ to play against because it doesnt really require any skill to play ap yi. Kind of like a bad Blitzcrank. He can still zone you because of his grab even if he isnt landing them...

doombotMECHA

10-22-2012

ummmmmmmm......................................... ...................................
has BV been removed from the game or something?
or sivir? or nocturne?
heck, even maokai mid might work vs. this build.

Evolnemesis

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by doombotMECHA View Post
ummmmmmmm......................................... ...................................
has BV been removed from the game or something?
or sivir? or nocturne?
heck, even maokai mid might work vs. this build.
You can afford BV during laning in mid? And you rush that first? (For that matter, I find just a negatron cloak makes him ignorable late game)

But I do agree that Sivir, Nocturne, and Maokai can do well against him in lane. Again, AP Yi's an assassin.. he punishes champs who are dependent on any long cooldown skills for the major portion of their damage... if you want to counter him, get a tanky type or someone who can do good damage that isn't all burst... some sustained damage (any really) is all it takes to beat him in lane.

Tanky dps, tank, ranged ADC... any of those will beat the **** out of him in lane... Even assassins can do well.. it's mainly only burst mages that have real problems with him there, because they usually have no way to make their damage stick on him enough to kill him in lane or even really make him back off, thanks to his meditate and their long cooldowns. If they have to face him, they should just concentrate on farm and stay back and play passive (maybe buy pots if they find themselves getting harassed too low anyway).

ancient pro

10-22-2012

You counter ap yi same way as katarina. If you prevent him from getting kills/assists in teamfights he cant resets hes cooldowns and go nuts.